U VS The Crowd

DjLuca

Look I don't know if you could call me a DJ. I can beatmatch well and mix well. I have plenty of records, however I still haven't bought equipment. I guess that this is one of the reasons that I started this thread. I really got to be sure I want to do this before I lay out the big bucks.

I recently played at a party and discoverd that the crowd, along with every other teenager in Melbourne will only listen to RnB, Bon Jovi and a little bit of comercial dance. My first question is, as a house dj where do I play my funky house out side of the bedroom, instead of jumping straight into a club? Is there any demand for house music out side of a club? Did this ever happen to you guys? What did you do? I have no intention of changing my style or even planning to touch the S#!t. My last question is another important piont I want to raise. As a dj do I play what the crowd wants or what i want?

That night really convinsed me not to buy equipement and forget about Djing altogher. Your input will be greatly required.

I would recommend you to start your own club night. Advertise it as a str8 up house night, and those who like house music will come. Smaller parties are a b*tch - I try to work things out in my head before I play them. It usually means I bring a ton of dub, soul, funk and disco records, and a bunch of house and more modern dance-oriented stuff (2-step, breaks, jazzbeats, funky techno) , and then try to find the common denominator between the different things. I mean, if you try to see what similarities in mood and style there are, it's easier to please the crowd AND yourself. An example of stuff that is cool and that people will like: "Bourgie Bourgie" by the John Davis Orchestra into "Til I Found U" by Jasper St Company, followed by the MAW mix of BeBe Winans' "Thank You" finished off by, say, "Get Ready" by the Temptations. It's fun, funky and pretty instantly likeable. It's also got pretty much the same feel, while still staying on a serious tip.
If you're gonna play house parties, make sure you've got varied stuff but avoid being cheesy.

Oh, and a humongous record collection definitely helps...

Right on Mattu!

Definitelly, start your own scene. Find some cool friends that'll help you w/ the promotion thing, choose to run it into a club or any other place where you can fit all the ppl, bar and sound (and not be bothered by neighbours and/or cops), and go for it. It's harder than finding a spot at a club but it'll be stronger and more fulfilling in the end!

Oh joy, that's so nice...starting you own scene is much rewarding :D:D:D

Good luck!

:cheers:

Hey someone else from Australia :D
I spin prog house and trance. I couldn't get a gig anywhere so I started my own night with a few friends. We do it once a month and have an absolute blast. It is the most rewarding thing that I have done for a while.
Just remeber when you are having your own night to take a minute to look at the crowd and think "I did this"

Yup, you have to do it yourself. You'd think considering how trendy "electronica" has become over the years that it wouldn't be too hard to find a scene already. I'm in Los Angeles and coming up against the same problem here. Most clubs that have dance music tend to play a lot of NRG crap and really predictable trance and house. I was surprised that I couldn't find any place that played tech house, Detroit or Detroit-inspired techno. So I'm actually in the process of pulling together a party right now, finding dj's that spin the techno I like. It'll be interesting to see who comes and what their response will be.

Why are so many people Bitchin about Hard House?
I have no time for funky or tech house but i aint gonna diss it cuz theres a place in clubbin world for it right?
Hard House aint ****, When i hear it, it puts me in a wicked mood and just makes me wanna go out clubbin there and then. Sudissential has the biggest membership base in the U.K and what do they play? Hard House, Who plays there? Lisa Lashes, Andy Farley, Nick Rafferty and many more so keep ya mouths shut boyz, if ya dont like it fair enuff but keep ya bitchin 2 urself uuuuuuuuummmmmkkkkkaaaayyyyy:mad:

Well, I've not seen anybody dis hard house in this thread, or am I just blind? I've dissed in some other threads, but not here.

**** hardhouse !

I think we have the right to give our opinion on thigs.
And hardhouse's just ****ty and uninspired music.

Re: **** hardhouse !

Tristano said:
And hardhouse's just ****ty and uninspired music.
:cheers:

hard house is just not some peoples cup of tea. to each his own.

Look Music is there to do a job, this job is different for many people, For me I want music to put me in a good mood and make me dance, Hard House and Hard trance does this, as for its uninspired, what dya think that when a tribal or prog producer goes to produce a new tune they go for a walk to find something to inspire them like a tree shedding its leaves erm NO, They sit down and write the tune and what comes to them at the time comes to them and thats that, my opinion Hard House aint **** mate its a music that brings thousands of clubbers together in the UK at the weekend to jus 4get about all the **** and have a mad one so erm there ya go

DPM said:
what dya think that when a tribal or prog producer goes to produce a new tune they go for a walk to find something to inspire them like a tree shedding its leaves erm NO, They sit down and write the tune and what comes to them at the time comes to them and thats that

you are in no position to make a blanket statement about progressive and tribal producers. you cant make a blanket statement about any producers and what inspires them. you get upset when someone calls your music ****ty, then you go ahead and say something like that. think about it.

Slaggin HH

Look i didnt mean it that way, what i meant was how can somebody say Hard House is uninspired, they are at just as much fault as me right? Can you honestly say that tribal/prog producers are anymore inspired to write music than a hard house producer cuz thats just bullsh*t, I take my music seriously and love it and humanly get piss&d off when people take the piss out of it

I'm sure every producer out there, even Max Martin and Puffy Combs, are doing what they do for the love of music, and that they truly feel that they are creating something good. Although I find both hard house and the above mentioned producers to be... erhm... not very inspiring, I'm definitely not slagging them off. Few producers set out to do something sh!tty just to cash in on it.

Back