Turntable Skipping when I'm Scratching

S

spectrum21

I need some help I've tryed and tryed and tryed to balance my Tonearm on my Technics to keep it from skipping when I try to scratch, I've only attemped scratching, but everytime I do it skips out of the groove, what I'm I doing wrong? Is it the tonearm not being balanced correctly or what?? Please help!!:dj:

use a wwater based tool that will tell you if the platter is perfectly horizontal, then adjust the legs to achieve that (helped me)

skipping

this may sound a bit random and i can't remember exactly how i did mine,[and i'm not with my decks as i type] but try taking the weight adjuster right off the arm and shoving it back on the other way.....it's something like that anyway, push it as far on as possible... Experiment! hope you have some success

Not making the record skip is part of the technique, so you've got to practice too. As for balancing the tonearm, just make it as heavy as possible :) , the wheigt reversing thing works, i've removed the little chrome things on the end of the tonearm, if you can, put a small coin on the cartridge. Do mind the heavier the needle, the more damage to the records.

I had that problem for ages, I discovered that if you use the lever to lower the arm so that the needle is on the record but leave it so the part which lowers the arm is still touching the arm, this acts as a stabilizer and stops the needle wiggling as you scratch the record back and forward. It depends what deck you have if this works or not, may take a bit of fine tuning at first though. Good luck, peace. :monkey:

Yeah, reverse your counterweight, just don't expect your records to last very long and you'll have to buy new stylii (sp?) every couple of months as the tips will fall off!!

I have my Shure 44-7s set up as the instructions tell you to and i find it really difficult to make it jump, I set my tone arm height to about 4 (i had to guess cos i use vestax turntables and they have no markings), the cart is fixed in the middle off the headshell dead straight (none of this toeing-in malarky) and after balancing the tonearm, i set the weight to approximatly 3.5 grammes (4 if i'm using a brand new stylus, to wear it in).

Some records i own are rather f*cked (charity shop bargins!!) and jump regardless so a little extra weight is needed, in that situation i just slide a penny onto the headshell and that does the trick!

Also it helps to be light fingered, be gentle with your records, this may sound patronising, but most people are far too brutal when scratching

Be gentle

I hear that 5p... treat your decks like a beautifull woman and all that sh**, lol.

When I first started makin noises with vinyl I thought you had to move your arm like Keanu Reaves in Matrix..whoosh. After a while I soon learned how to control ma hands on the deck without causing that horrible thudding noise everytime I did forward's.

My best advise is stick with it and keep making adjustments, you will soon find your own ways of getting the best from your setup.

Peace out...G :cool:

Back