Signs of A Bad Tonearm?

Infidel_Chan

I think my tonearm on my left table is going bad. I noticed it today when I was scratching, so I put a copy of the same record on each deck and eq'd them the same and the right tables levels were a bit louder . Oh and by the way I checked the needles already.

Clean the connectors on your needle and tonearm.(the four little metal "pins", this usually works for me.) If that doesn't work check the cables. If that doesn't work make sure it's not your mixer(switch the turntables to other channels), and if that still doesn't work i would then look to the tonearm as the problem. Can anyone think of anything else?

Last edited:
what dex do you have... what mixer??

the tone arm probably wouldnt be the problem, aslong as it has full movement... set all the ballance to 0 an see if it has free movement, if it does then that shouldnt be a problem.

mixer chanels may be a problem, if theres a loose connection, usually if you fiddle with the phono lines they will crackle if there is a bad conection. this could be either on the mixer, ofwith the phono connectors... either on the phono plug, or where it connects to the underside of the deck, tease the wires to deturmine if either end of that cable is the issue...

connection from the cart to the tone arn, take it off, give it a blow, remove any crap.. make sure the 4 connectors are fine on both ends..

clean the needles...

make sure your earths are in/on properly, on some cheaper dex the earth will cause this problem....

interchange the channels on the mixer so you can pin point if its a deck or the mixer or if its just in your imagination! sometimes records are not pressed the same....

Back