scratching techniques for begginers

S

seeker

whats up yall. im finding this forum to be very helpful so i appreciate all the good posts. im just starting to f*ck w/tt's and basically all im interested in is learning battle style turntablism. i've been buying vinyl for so long i figure i should do something with it. obviously my choice music is hiphop. i by other records to sample but thats on the production tip.

i don't like doing things sporadically or unsystematically. i've taken martial arts for a long time and the one thing i learned as a rule is that if you want to do the fancy **** you always, always , always continue practicing the most basic movements. that being said for what would yall suggest as some good basic excercises that i can use as a foundation for moving into battle style turntablism.

also do you know of any good videos that teach basic techniques. i am kind of a visual learner and it helps if i can see things being done.
peace

i also do martial arts (american style kickboxing i.e no elbows in the ring)so know what u mean about keeping the simplistic, reflex movements sharp.

the only advice i can think of when looking at it like this is just to practice repeatedly juggling a bar of a track with another, maybe the same tune or just one with the same bpm and pattern (i.e 4/4). just keep going and then cut it down to 3 of the four beats, and then two (basically getting faster, hands moving quicker) This sounds whack as it is all very samey but is a good practice. Sometimes when doing this the speed is not the problem, but the pressure you are putting on the record might be. Sometimes even the best needles slip so one of the key assets is being able to realise how hard you can hammer the record....and that all comes from practice as we all know, same as everything else.

getting that damn tape in the middle at exactly the right spot is something that this method has helped me with, its fairly boring to do, but it does help the reflexes/muscles etc to get used to the right movements/pressure etc.

sorry if this is pants to you but its all i could think of from that point of view.

cheers

thanks

thats actually exactly what im looking for. anything that is real hi tek is based on fundamental movements. i see people trying to do all kinds of **** and they never get good because they never learn basics. look at kids who pick up a can of paint and think they can rock some wild style right off the bat. their sh*t is wack as f*ck.
peace

The most fundamental move (for me) is sipn the record back to the exact place where the sample stars and then release, let it play on its own.... So if you ask me try havin sam like IS MAKIN ME ITCH when the text is done think of a part of the text and in one single fast move spin back and let play for exmpl: KIN ... repeat with random choice of the words to spin back to, get fast and precise .... what a fundament .... aaaah haaa ment mementndafun da ment aaaa h (I hope its understandable)

hahahaha

call me stupid but what is Zlato talking about???

well he is right.. u have to also learn to read the record...
so like u should have enough practice
that u can play a sample and then
(ex :sample "wack turntablist elemental expression"
bring it to a word (ex.turntablist)
let it play to the end (turntablist elemental expression)
then bring it back to turntablist...
------
then u should be able to think of a place in the sample.. "elemental" let it play then repeat this
(think of another place)
( making phrases is good practice )
------
u should be able to play and mess around without pasasing your selected sample..
so if the sample -> wacko the slacko...
is in between -> drako the lako
and --> snako the spindo
there shouldnt be any
-ako wacko the slacko sna--
try to keep it
-wacko the slacko-
----
i think this is what zlakto meant

man, i get so upset when im skratching a sample, i mean really getting nasty with it and then, all of a sudden, the record skips. :mad: it mostly occurs when i move the record back and forth very fast and short. i think i might need to be more gentle with the vinyl. i dont know. its a cool skratch i wanna use more and soon master. this doesnt happen alot but i wish it didnt happen at all. my TT has a S-shaped tone arm and my cartridges are the second best Shure has to offer (i think), they cost me 65 bucks a piece. is it my equipment that makes the record skip during madd skratching or could it be the way i skratch?

Back