Rotary vs Line Faders?

Rotary or Line Faders?

• Rotary

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Line Faders

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

DJ QA

So what do you prefer and why, the eternal struggle continues. I would greatly appreciate all ther reasons why that you can think of.

Last edited:
Line faders. I'm more the kinda dj that makes fast moves. Line faders are better for that. And besides they are precise enough to suit my needs.

Bah! Trash! Rotary faders look much cooler. Looks = good. Function = bad. I'm all for the rotaries.

Got a rotary last week, was hooked ever since i touched BBL's rane rotary....its just smooth as hell....once again it comes down to preference just like everything else...but damn, its silky as hell for me

Id have to go with Thy on this one and say Line because of that quick movement thing... EQ's shouldnt be rotory either but then mixers would get alot bigger whatever.

I'd say rotary with kills for the line, that way you get quick kills and smooth adjustment... plus they're cool.

Hmm, weirdly enough I prefer rotary EQ's...
They're pretty precise and you can do quite fast EQ cuts too (as you don't have to turn as lot as a volume cut).

I like those small EQ line faders on the Vestax PMC25, I think all mixers should have those. They're pretty cool and extremely smooth for quick cuts.

Haha, completely opposite of me Mattu.
You want rotary channel faders with EQ sliders
And I prefer line faders with rotary EQ's.

They'll have to invent a new geometric shape to suit both our needs :D

Although I personally think rotary faders make up for smoother mixes (I'm a house dj, just for the records), I agree w/ Thy that line faders are precise and smooth enough, and are more versatile overall. When I 1st started djing, rotaries ruled so I kinda grew up using them, but nowadays line faders have evolved so much I can't think a reason besides tradition and coolness to move back again. I'd love to have a Urei (like every one else here, hehehe...), but I got used to line faders and they do the job. And also, as Thy pointed out, they're faster when the need arises - which happens quite a lot for me!

:hello:

And as for the EQ's, rotaries definitelly. We tend to see line as more hands-on and fast but practice shows the opposite is true. And line EQ rules wear out faster too, crackle and don't compare as for precision. Rotary EQ's ruled out line EQ's long ago and IMHO, for a good reason.

;)

i prefer long, smooth line faders: you can be as precise as rotaries, and you can make fast moves.
i love the dateq lpm 7.3 mixer ;)

Rotary.....the only way to go

had a urei 1620 ............unreaaaaaal.....

now working with the vestax 46k II rotary with the 1200 rotary isolaters..

but still have a bid on ebay on a urei!!!

i want it back noW!!!

tal aaron
www.talaaron.com

I prefer rotarys... they're more precise, and look cooler.. and they don't wear out as fast as line faders.

not to insult u guys but sometimes i have to stop and wonder what sort of info and experience you base your decisions on. do you like something because you saw it on a web site and the manufacturer has a good name or have you actually put in serious time on a product? i mean sure i've used rotaries a few times and i did like them for the time i used them, but i dont feel that i put in ample time (50-100 hours) on them to really be able to judge them. so i'm not voting.

alonzo, no diss man, you've given some good advice, but you're pretty young, and i doubt highly that you've had a chance to put in serious time on a lot of the products you reccomend.

a lot of this giving advice on sites like this is like the blind leading the blind. (this is in general to newbies, and doesnt have any refference to alonzo, in case you felt i was insulting u in this paragraph) one minute someone is asking basic questions, the next theyre attempting to answer everything. i dont like to discourage people from shaing knowledge, its just some people aren't really knowledgable to the level that the advice given is accurate.

once again, this was not meant to insult, rather, to voice a perspective.

Hmmm... flames....

Those w/ ehough experience can make judgements on these posts, that's my opinion. I personally can evaluate one's technical knowlege based on what I read, and this is the net therefore that's how it is. You can fake, but you can't hide... the advices given here are open to discussion and rather often, my opinion is that the good and true prevail.

Of course, anyone can go out and get a technical mag or something and start babling about issues we discuss here, or just make statements based on others' arguments read elsewhere, or hire expert friends to present technical data and wow everyone... it's up to one's self-conscience to do so, or instead to present ideas based on actual expertise.

I agree in good part w/ what Undercurrent said, although I personally don't think one need to put that much time into a test to actually be able to evaluate or form an opinion on it. This is no tech mag, it's an open forum and a good one at that IMO. We must consider that one must be critical about everything one reads, be it here at FP or anywhere. That's my opinion tho...

Pretty much all things discussed here are personall preferences, whether based or not on experience. Sometimes they are, sometimes not... Everyone could play a Numark, Gemini or Vestax deck, but when ppl voice their opinions, I think they're expressing their own personall wishes. Or, again, maybe not...

Whatever,

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
well thats me personally i dont like to make a judgement on anything until i've used it for a long period of time, then i can see how it performs over a long period of time and whether there are any issues with it after its been worn in. thats if im giving advice to other online or IRL

Oh indeed... to evaluate something for a long period, you actually must use it for a long period. I write technical articles for 2 brazilian mags (BICI Sport, a cycling mag, since 93; and DJ Mag, a music/dj mag since 99), and on both I do 2 kinds of test: long and short term. What I mean is, w/ enough experience and background, you can evaluate short-term features and carachteristics on pretty much anything (anything that's not conceptually intended for long term use, that is...).

Of course I can't enter the meriths of durability or reliability of a bike or a mixer unless I used it for a rather long period, but I've been into both of this for long enough to know a thing or two about brands, construction, processes, etc... so (now talking about me) I personally consider I can express at least honest opinion about something. I got myself some respect around here for doing it consistently on both mags...

As I said above, I can't tell for the others although I have my own personal opinions about them. What I try not to do (and,as human, fail sometimes...) is to make judgements. But that's completelly different that expressing just my HO...

;)

Also, Undercurrent, and you might agree w/ me on this, the ones here who have some good respect to them are the ones that show consistent and deeply based experience and expertise, though many times biased and personal. We all know who they are... and I see no problem w/ that myself...;)

:cheers:

oh i totally agree with you. i myself feel that i am able to make some judgement on the expectancy of a product over a short term evaluation, but i preffer not to. i'll say something like "yeah i've used this and this a few times, i liked it the features worked well it seems to be a good product" as opposed to "yeah i use this and this every week when i play out, i cant believe i wasted my money on this product its absolute junk"

take for example sony's mdr v series. everyone loved them a year ago, i bought my pair 2 years ago. after a few months of use tho mine had broken and the repairs were rather costly, an indication of the future. now it seems the consensus on this board is to steer clear of them.

and yes deeply ingrained bias and opinion is always gonna be a part of any discussions. for example i hate allen and heath mixers, one of the clubs i play at occasionally has one and its a pain in the rear to use and keeps breaking on them. so that why i tell everyone "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ALLEN AND HEATH":hello: ;) :cheers:

Back