Rotary vs. Faders

V

verbal

I don't understand why they say rotary volumbe knobs are better than line for mixing techno. I've heard people say rotary knobs are more exact, but I don't get how..

Verbal

With Rotary mixer you control the sound from the mixer a lot more precise as suppose to a fader.You have total control.And the sound for some reason seems to be smoother.But thats just my opinion

I JUST CANT MIX TTISM WITH ROTARY FADERS, woah soz bout the caps :)

seriously have u treid to mix ttism with rotary faders, lol it isnt easy :D

Rotary mixers are not for that you need crossfaders for something like that.Since I play Trance,Techno and Tribal its perfect for me.But TTISM I dont know how to do it but if I did I would need 4 arms for it in order to use rotaries

I just don't get how its smoother and more exact. Ones a dial ones a fader...thats the only different I see.

Verbal

Well you have to try it to see what I mean.You can eek a mix in ever so slightly and have total control as suppose to a fader where you only have so much control on it.My advise try it.

I have thought about this same question myself but I think I have come up with a decent explanation. BTW I myself have become a big rotary knob fan and don't think I'd ever go back to faders.

So assuming that the quality of a rotary knob and a fader are equal I think most people would think that the rotaries are smoother because of how natural it is to just grab the knob and twist it with your hands. It's especially evident when you are thowing in beats from one track quickly while slightly lowering the other channel to keep your levels nice. It's pretty hard to explain unless you have played with a rotary mixer and felt just how much more control "it feels" like you have on the mix. So I don't think it's so much that rotary knobs are far superior in quality on average I just think they are a more natural fit in the hands of most dj's and thus lead to a more controlled mix and at least for me alot more fun and physical experience.

Ramon

which mixers out there have or can be fitted with rotary faders? i know there's the Rane rotary mixer, and i've heard that some Vestax's can be fitted with them. is that all? can any Vestax be fitted with rotaries or only some?

I never heard the Ranes having that option.But Vestax does the PMC-25,and the PMC170 there might be others but Im not sure of it.But as far as the PMC-25 is concerned it is I assume a replacement for the PMC-26 which is a rotary mixer that Vestac Discontinued but in my opinion is a better mixer than the 25 it has 3 phono as suppose to 2 for the 25.

Thats what sucks about it EQ only for the master.But I work around it by using trim and ever so slightly bringing in the mix while adjusting the eq for the mix coming in.It takes practice but Im sure a lot of people have to do this.It also seriously hones your mixing skills while doing this.I can actually keep 3 tracks on beat while doing all this.Your brain is doing so many things at the same time its really cool.And yes I mix on 3 TT's Im from the old school.The only thing clubs in NYC use are Urei's so you kind of get used to them..

I just ordered the PMC-25 and am about to order rotaries for them. One of the main reasons I got this mixer as apposed to the 26 is because of the great EQs.
It seems that any mixer that has user replacable line faders you can get rotaries for. A lot of vestax mixers have that option, like the 170 and 270. That new $1900 Stanton also has that option to get rotary faders.
The Rane that has the rotaries is the 2016, a very nice piece of equipment from what I hear.

BBL, what is the deal with Urei's. I have heard how great they are, but why. Great sound quaility? What happened to the company that made them if they were so great?

Well I guess its the mystique of them.The greatest DJ's from the past and some in the present use them.somthing about the sound that comes out of them.Its very clean and the knobs are too cool.The booth and house function I think they were the first to use that.They stopped making them in 1982 I dont know why.Another good knob mixer from back then is the Bozak but nobody ever mentions them.Im in the process of getting one now for 50 bucks.

Back