Perfect Tonearm set-up for Shure M44-7's?

D

djmoney

Hey, y'all!

What is your perfect tonearm set-up for the Shure M44-7 cartridges on the technics needle/stylus whatever its called?

In other words, the weight, height, all that for zero skipping! That would help a lot! Thanks! :monkey:

ANTI SKATING THINGY SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT ZERO
The weight at the far end of the tonearm is better if you just flip it, meaning that the back -end of it facing forward. This adds more weight to the cartridge.
The overall height of the tonearm should be at 2 i think.

oh and zero skipping is very hard. Try to handle your records with 'light' hands.

Last edited:
anti-skate set to zero, height of the arm set so the arm is exactly parallel to the platter (there is no magic number, it's based on how thick your slipmat is) and weight set within spec - the lightest you can get away with without skipping. i recommend NOT flipping the weight around - this gives you absolutely no idea of what the tracking force of the stylus is. check out my little test at the bottom of this post:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165480

with vinyl costing $10, $12, $15 a pop and 447s costing $60 or more, why take away one of the few adjustable settings the turntable has that can actually control record wear, stylus wear and sound quality?

jeff h

Yeah- agreed with Jeff there - I have my M44-7's set just as light but just enough for it not to skip when I do 'pressured' scratches like uzi's and fast backspins while juggling. But then again I do own Vestax's so they are pretty much almost skip proof arms already... (especially having the Tone arm Tension spring set to around 1 or 2)

My Tone arm height is parallel to the platter, cos M44-7 stylus' are friggin expensive and my records cost to much you put cue burn's on it.

if it helps to explain, my carts are floating at around 1-2 mm off the record - high enough for the needle to track properly.

but if money ain't a thang for you then set those carts to an angle and emulate a str8 tonearm - guaranteed skip proof... and guaranteed fast turn over of stylus' hehehe - believe me - I've done it :p

Back