M44-7 break-in time?

C

Code Blue

Hiya folks, I just bought a couple new Shure M44-7s and I've been hearing about "breaking them in". So, what's this all about?

Are they better once they are broken in?

How long does this take?

Is there anything I'm supposed to do to help this process along?

Thanks!

it takes apprx 30 hours to break in Shure M44-7s.
All you have to do is play records and after 20-30 h youl'll notice that the bass will be better defined, the hiss in the highs will disappear and the mids will be clearer.
The overall sound will be better, basically.
Tracking and cueing might feel a bit more robust. but I think that is more a result of imagination than a fact.

M44-7 sound quality

That's great to know! I was a little worried when I first heard the sound quality of the M44-7. There was a lot of hiss/crackling on the track. I know these aren't gonna sound as good as the Stanton 680HPs I was using before, but I didn't think I would notice it THAT much.

Anyway, nice to hear that it only gets better! :)

you should also leave the needle on the record for like 12-24 hrs. Dont need to turn the platter on, but just leave the needle on a record.

My M44G's said to do this.

And ya still want that HAK360? ;)

HAK

Hey man, thanks for the offer but I decided to spend the extra dough and go with the TTM56.

Again, thanks.

Jonny Thrice said:
you should also leave the needle on the record for like 12-24 hrs. Dont need to turn the platter on, but just leave the needle on a record.

Why would you do such a thing??
If it has something to do with compliance - then this procedure doesn't add since compliance will automatically be improved during the break in period by playing records.

The breaking in of a styli is about getting rid of rough edges around the diamond tip and that won't happen if the needle is mainly resting on a still platter.

I have no idea! It said to do this on the instructions that came with my M44G's

I guess its to break in the "suspension" of the needle. Actually, maybe I *was* supposed to leave the platter on.....hmmmm....

leaving the needle on the record breaks in the rubber bearing at the end of the cantaliever, which comes stiff from the factory. when the bearing breaks in tracking and skip-resistance will greatly improve. leaving the record still keeps the stylus from wearing and allows gravity to break the bearing in.

The man has spoken. Thanks for clearing that up, smashy ;)

:cheers:

Back