How do I know when I need new needles?

infamous twitch

How do I know when I need new needles? I got an gemini XL-20 (just to play records so I can sample them, so it's not the best).. For some reason it's output is real low.. I 've ran it thru my soundcraft mixer pres and my mackie onyx pres and it's still low I bring up alot of hiss.. It didn't do that before (it's kept in great adn I mean great condition..) I have never replace the needle, is it time?

Thanks

~T~

wow, a lot of ways, you could start hearing static/fuzz, the needle could start skipping a lot, poor sound quality, and you should also be able to tell from apperance

Could it be the records also? they are abused to hell (from goodwill adn other second,third, fourth hand me down shops)

Last edited:
yea, the more you play a record, the more degradded the sound becomes, same as a cd, go to the thrift store and buy a couple 25 cent records to test ur theory, also look at the styllus, does the end of it still have that small point on the end? or has it wore off?
you said you have never changed the styllus, you probably need to

Does that turntable have a line level output? Is that soundcraft mixer a dj mixer or a regular analog sound mixer? You said it was fine b4, but i'm not seeing any mention of a dj mixer or phono pre-amp. If you try and run a regular turntable into a line level input, it's going to be low because it needs a riaa phono pre-amp, which is buil into most dj mixers and phono pre-amps. But you said it was fine before, so i guess somewhere in there, is a dj mixer or phono pre-amp.
LevLove

Gutty502--- yea, the more you play a record, the more degradded the sound becomes, same as a cd, go to the thrift store and buy a couple 25 cent records to test ur theory, also look at the styllus, does the end of it still have that small point on the end? or has it wore off?
you said you have never changed the styllus, you probably need to

Yeah.. I checked and the needle is still has that point..

Does that turntable have a line level output?

Oh yeah RCA phono stereo outs

Is that soundcraft mixer a dj mixer or a regular analog sound mixer?

reg Analog mixer.. The infamous Ghost 32

If you try and run a regular turntable into a line level input, it's going to be low because it needs a riaa phono pre-amp, which is buil into most dj mixers and phono pre-amps. But you said it was fine before, so i guess somewhere in there, is a dj mixer or phono pre-amp.

Got it man.. I connected it to my standard line-inputs on my mixer and line-level on my mackie.. I should have connected it to my laptop with my samplers and my Soundcraft compact 10 that has the RIAA.. I did some arranging adn never though about using my smaller mixer again.. Now I have to do some thinking.. But hey it works, but I'm trying to save space without 1 extra mixer..

Back