home receiver instead of amp

jtmoney

i recently bought some new tables and mixer and was wondering if i could use a regular home stereo component receiver instead of an amp or active speaker system? anyone use this set-up? if not, which way is the most economical for the bedroom dj?

thanks

You could use a regular home stereo component receiver just plug your mixer into the aux. line on your receiver.

I'm not sure if there are any negative consequences. I say that because I am using my Sony receiver and speakers and they do the job fine. Eventually I would like to get a more robust setup.

what do you mean 'instead' of an amp... it is an amp. from what ive seen here seems like 10% use PA systems, 50% use hifi equipment and about 40% use computer speakers.

zoot2boot said:
what do you mean 'instead' of an amp... it is an amp. from what ive seen here seems like 10% use PA systems, 50% use hifi equipment and about 40% use computer speakers.

Don't play dumb. You know what he means. Why not just explain why the home stereo is an amp? :rolleyes:

No prob, JT.

BTW, sorry for venting. Just not too excited about work today. :)

I use my Onkyo surround sound receiver to power my setup. I have 4 Pioneer component tower speakers with separate highs, mids, and 12in woofers. About 75 watts going to each channel. It's enough to hear 4 houses down with the volume turned halfway up.
But to answer your question, I have my setup plugged into the AUX input on the back of my receiver. Works great, only is a pain to take anywhere outside of my house...

Yeah...that's where the equipment made for mobility make a lot of sense. It's a shame it's so expensive. :)

You can use any home amp or even a theatre system as long as the speaker/amp can handle the volume you play it at. Just hook your mixer to the aux in of your home system and off you go!

Pz!
-daffy

On another note, you could do the production work on some Truth monitors, or something else, then do the final mix on a regular stereo reciever.

So what if I wanna record my mix on my pc. Can my normal 5.1 sound card take the power that would come out of the stereo. And how would I attatch it as the only way i can see is by using the headphone out but that means I gotta use the PC speakers.

Can I not use the stereo speakers for output but the pc for recording?

I don't see why not. It's best when doing a final mix to check your recording on all kinds of speaker systems.

right?

"Can I not use the stereo speakers for output but the pc for recording?"

Yes, I do that - but my mixer has two master outputs, so one goes direct into the stereo system, one goes direct to the sound card. I have an audio splitter so I can switch between sound coming from the Mixer and PC (both go through the stereo system). Not sure if you can do it with just one master out on your mixer? All bit techy for me!

all these people are on crack...listen to me...you need to get an EAW Avalon system installed in your bedroom immediately. i mean, if you don't know what it sounds like to mix on one of those systems when you get big and you're playing in megaclubs.

sheesh, c'mon people

freshpow said:
He's either sarcastic, or not very nice. :)

I know he really meant you need a custom JBL/TAD system (ala' SBS installations) or a Steve Dash Phazon System....

nothing less will do!

JFWY --
although it IS nice to have (vintage or new) pro equipment, it is completely unnecessary for home use.....

louped garou said:

I know he really meant you need a custom JBL/TAD system (ala' SBS installations) or a Steve Dash Phazon System....

nothing less will do!

JFWY --
although it IS nice to have (vintage or new) pro equipment, it is completely unnecessary for home use.....

now that's just overkill..heh

Gotcha David. :) What about those JBL L100s. Is that the model number? Can't remember.

Back