Headphones - HDJ1000 v's Sennhesier HD25

beefy

Just wanted an opinion on the Pioneers HDJ 1000 headphones, i've tried the Sennhesisers and love them, but dont have a chance to try the pioneers so feedback would be much appreciated.

(If anyone mentions the MDVR700's, I wont be happy!!!!)

Thanks.

ive got a pair of the hdj1000s, used to have a pair of sony vdjs (sorry for mentioning) before they broke (im sure everyone knows where!). i think theyre really comfortable, and when wearing them you get good isolation even in clubs you can clearly hear everything. the sound is superior to the vdjs, but i think the sennheisers are better sound than both. ive only used the sennheisers in record shops, i find them more fiddly and feel that if i took them out when playing in clubs they would get easily broken and battered. the hdjs are very solid plus they look good too!

If you want a top quality headphone, IXOS Ministry of Sound DJ-1001 or 1003 are the only choice !

www.ixos.co.uk

I'm a proud owner of DJ1003 and I could not be more happy :)

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

0020080280side.JPG

These ones are comfortable and block out sound pretty well. Much better than the sony 500's I have now atleast.

you will probably know that all headphones except of the HD 25 mentioned here are circumaureal, the HD 25 is supraaureal (I don´t know if these words are the correct ones - but I guess u know what I mean) - so it is a matter of how large your ears are and a matter of personal taste, the hd 25 is much smaller and lighter, on the other hand there is more pressure on your ear with the hd 25 -
I would say you can decide without wearing both on your head

i can totally vouch for that since I have a pair of 1001's. They won best closed, low impedence headphone from Hi Tech magazine in Greece during one of the most extensive testing series ever. Very difficult to find here in the US, but I bought one before Best Buy's online store ran out. The only problems are they still need a good transparent mixer. If the mixer has soft bass they'll have soft bass. They also start producing resonance and shuffling in the low end above 300mW, though they're rated at 3000mW before the protection circuitry kicks in. This tends to happen a lot on 50mm drivers. They're also a bit tight and uncomfortable on the ears since the speaker grill is ridgid and the ear padding is rather shallow. The Sony V6 is worse, though, and the V700 is no better in these departments. I just simply put 5 or 6 vhs tapes between the earcups overnight once and it stretched it quite nicely. The Senn Pro 280 Silver is supposed to be very good, especially if you aren't using musicians earplugs with it, which would require higher volumes than it can reproduce correctly.

ArthurG said:
If you want a top quality headphone, IXOS Ministry of Sound DJ-1001 or 1003 are the only choice !

www.ixos.co.uk

I'm a proud owner of DJ1003 and I could not be more happy :)

Last edited:
i say hd-280 (i own a pair :))

whats more, you can get em off amazon.com for $75!

I have tried and owned a lot of headphones and I stick with the HD25 for DJ use. To be fair I have not tried the HDJ1000 or the Ministry of Sound 1001s. HD 25s do not have the enhanced bass of many other DJ phones so they may not fit your style if you use the bass to line up the beats. If you mix from snares or kick attack there is no muddiness from the overemphasized basslines featured on other cans.

The big deal for me is that the HD25s are the loudest, clearest headphones I have ever used. They play "club" loud with the same clarity as home listening. They also get more volume from mixers with poor headphone amps than anything else I have tried. This has saved me at many gigs where the system was sketch...

Ahh.. nothing like walking up to a system loud enough to ruffle the hair on your arms only to see an old Gemini mixer from someones bedroom behind the decks...:bigeyes:

funkmasterwikki said:
i say hd-280 (i own a pair :))

whats more, you can get em off amazon.com for $75!

bah! i keep hearing people say that but whenever i check its actually 84.99 :(

john

Senn HD 25

I picked up the Senn HD25's last week! I thought there were a touch expensive though but I picked them up anyways. Thus far I'm quite impressed.

I haven't tried the Pioneers that you've referred to but I have used the Sony MDVR's, which I thought were bulky and prone to severe bass hyperbole!

But the Senn's . . . ahhh, they're just magic!

First, they are extremely comfortable. They're light, and they don't have a vice-like effect on yer head. The cables connecting the earpiece are replaceable should they be accidentaly damaged. Both earcups swivel in either direction so that you don't need to twist your neck in order to monitor one earcup.

Second the sound is excellent for a closed headphone. The bass is punchy and the highs are smooth. Good soundstage as well. They don't have the nice airiness and fluidity of my Grado SR-60's (which I use for portable listening), but they make up for it by having more detail in the mids.

My only gripe with the Senn's is the length of the cord. If memory serves, it's a measly 1.5m long. So if you're record stack is about, say, 5 metres away from your decks like mine are, you can look forward to a horrible case of whiplash brought on by an unreasonably (and uncessarily) lengthy cord. This can all be overcome, however, with the purchase of a cord extender! :cheers:

In other words, there is no need to audition the Pio's. The Senn's are fab!

Thank you everyone for your input (even the ones who mentioned the MDVR 700's) im defintley going for the senn's now.

lloop1: Thanks for your input to good help. As for the chord being 1.5m long, thats defintley a bonus for me, as my current cans (700's - Arghhhhh!) chord just annoys me and looks un-neat. Plus my most used tunes are always underneath the table my set up is on. So theres no problem with the short chord.

ta very much everyone

Beefmeister

Back