Going from Belt Drives to Technics

D

djgt

Hi

I have been mixing for some time now, but ive still got a pair of DLP 1s (belt drives). Ive started trying to mix on technics, but im finding it really different, and my mixes are way less accurate. I think this is just because I rely on pushing/pulling the record a lot when im on my DLPs, and you have to be a lot heavier with the technics.

Has anyone else had this trouble? If so how long did it take you to get used to technics, it feels like im learning to mix again, and ive got a gig soon on some technics.

Cheers

DJ GT
UK Hard House

I think everyone has that problem, I have problems going from Technics to Geminis (and vise versa)and they're pretty much the same thing. Try using pitch adjust more than pushing and pulling the record. Do minor adjustments by speeding it up or slowing it down for a split second.
hope it helps:)

Glad im not the only one. Cheers for the help, think i need to practice a bit more.

nice one

scary hehe

That's scary! I am not good yet at music or mixing, but what you guys are saying means that I need to stick to a turntable model and never change it, right? Then I should buy a pair of Technics right away or.. I am wondering

Well, not realy. It's like driving a car, you learn to drive on a heap of **** and then you get a descent car and there are major differences but you can still drive it and you'll get used to it pretty quick. It's also true that if you can mix well on not so good decks, then in a very short time you can mix **** hot on technics or vestax (whichever suits your taste). It would be pretty pointless to go out and buy sl1200s as your first turntables.Least that's my point of view.

Indeed, generally if you persevere in the business, you'll eventually end up with Technics or Vestax TT's.

Digital Dreams is right. Learn to use crap decks first. Moving to better equipment comes later.
If you can mix on crap equipment, you'll need a little adaption time and it'll go fine. But the other way is not so easy. If you're used to spin on the good equipment and somehow you have to do a set on crap, say hello to the problems.

Really starting off turntabling with the equipment that is INDUSTRY STANDARD (like a Technics or Numark ProTT or Vestax PDX-A2S MK II)is gonna be your best bet . If you learn on one of these fine pieces of man it is always better per the incident going from belt drive to direct drive. Most of all if you get good enough to appear at a gathering larger than your living room you will see technics, better off knowing. Some say wait till you have the money get tha goods , or don't wait do it now go with what you can get.
invest in nothing but the best for yourself
and the music

[Edited by exabyte on 09-17-2000 at 12:02 PM]

so... I don't know what to do now :) exabyte your advice sounds good, but DJ Thy said "Learn to use crap decks first". I am not sure now.. I know all these turntables can be very different, from direct, belt, magnetic (i don't know the names)

the point i was making was its better if you love what your doin to invest in an industry standard like the 1200 from technics most people will have them so no suprises when you use someone elses decks. An artist can be good but hes gonna need tools you have to have a speedy pitch control good brakes and ample torque without these tools you will not realize your potential. Really we are looking at 200.00 to 300.00 dollars per deck not a large sacrafice just maybe a lot of ramin noodles.

interesting points... it is a hard choice when you invest money, especially when you don't have much money :)

what decks to learn on?

i dis agreee.

its better to learn on good decks (vestax) or ok decks (tecnics...hehe) cos then u know them decks, wich if u are a serios dj is the deck u are most lickely to come into contact with........!

btw.....vestax kill technics

im agreeing with you vestax has more features Technics are more widly used dont forget about numarks they are all good
the main idea here is how much do you love it if so the bottom line is staying home a few weeks and no partys to get what you want. I personally put the knugg down for 2 months and save 1000 on that alone ITS ALL IN HOW BAD YOU WANT TO BE THE BEST

DOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU
i did so can you

[Edited by exabyte on 09-26-2000 at 02:57 PM]

Yeah, on paper Vestax is better...
This discussion has been going forever, but one thing I have in my mind is : RESPECT to Technics.
The SL1200 MKII has been around since the end of the seventies. And now, about 20 years later, it's still THE standard. I'm sure if you find a SL from '81 (to give an example) it'll still run as good as a new one. Only a couple of things have changed in the electronics (yeah the little pot to tweak the break is plastic now instead of metal, big deal), but an SL is still an SL, no matter the age.
Vestax has only been around for a couple of years (I mean as a good alternative to Technics), and how many times did they already changed models. Who'll remember the PDX-A1S in 20 years??? Hell, it's already out of production (replaced by the PDX-2000, now that number really doesn't give me a feeling it'll be around for long...)

"Yeah", you'll say "but at least Vestax comes up with some innovating things!"... Let's see :

Reverse play : you can do that manually too, after some practice.
78 RPM : good for jungle, but otherwise pretty useless.
50 % pitch range : who the hell will use this, you already get some huge chipmunk effects at about 10%!
Brake and startup speed control : can do that on my SL too, only I have to open it up.
Better skipping resistance with the ASTS system : my SL's are pretty unskippable, just have to search a little for the right settings.

The only real good thing (and still) I think they do is easily replaceable sliders (hmm, doesn't give me a reassuring feeling when they do that), but with some screwdrivers I can still do the same on my SL's.

All this to say that I still prefer my SL's (couldn't have guessed that didn't you). They play records, and I'll do pretty much about everything with them, only I'll have to work a little more to achieve the same result. I don't need all those fancy buttons and effects, just give me the simple Technics and I'll be happy :)

preach it my brotha

technics got the back

so when it comes to the money issue
i like keeping a truty steed around a while
so spend the money buy the best
and keep playing ya rekkids

if you have any questions i know a very good technic dealer
ship fer free

So its better to directly buy Technics turntables or not?

All the posts here are nice, but you don't all go in the same direction so it's confusing when you are planning to buy your first set

Sorry to bring an old question to the surface :) but I think many people may be wondering the same thing

I was at a friend's house yesterday and I tried to mix on his Technics mk2, I had so much fun! Do you think I'll have such sensations on a belt drive turntable?

Compared to the SL1200 : definately NOT.
You can touch the record much harder. With belt drives you always have to be extremely careful that the needle won't jump (belt drives are a nightmare when it comes to platter stability). One advantage I find using belt drives first is that you'll learn to mix with "feather hands". I mean by that that you'll be much smoother in mixing when you touch the record (even if you don't pitchbend by pushing the record, the most frustrating thing on crap beltdrives is when you throw your record in, aaargh really annoying if you just have the right beat and you miss it cuz the freakin' needle skipped).

It's easy to go from a belt drive to a good TT, but it's far more harder to go from a direct to a belt (had to spin last saturday on some crap beltdrives (and to make it worse with inversed pitch (to pitch up you had to move the slider up instead of down). First two mixes were completely wrong cuz I didn't adapt in time (but then I regained my concentration and rocked the floor... that wasn't so stable either :D )

Ahhhh the basic problem going from belt drives to direct drives yes it is a much different world it is important that you get the pitch right on direct drives try taking that extra half a minute before you mix the records just to be absolutely sure you have the speed right no point rushing it and it being a **** mix eh !!! we all have suffered the problem going from belt to direct drive you are not alone :o)

Back