DJ's DON'T SHARE NEEDLES...

djmauro

This one goes out to all the DJ's that in their "professional" minds think that they can show up to a gig without their own needles...
I was doing a gig in vegas one time, and the opening DJ didn't show up with needles. He was sitting around wondering what the hell he was gonna do, the promoters were flipping out, and he asked me to borrow my needles. Yeah, I had them, but that's not the point. I don't like lending my needles out to anyone...As a DJ, if you want to call yourself one, act like one. A professional is always prepared, has his own style, and sound...Do you think Carl Cox, or DJ Premier plays on house needles ? Aren't some needles better for different genres even ? I'd rather play through the needles I own, that I trust, are clean, etc. This guy was on some trip like he was too good, and didn't neeeed to bring his own...Don't get me wrong, if a brother DJ is in dire straights, I'm there...So I gave him the needles and he broke one of the needles...So much for lookin' out, huh ? (Don't worry, I made his promoter pay for it !). Has this ever happenned to anyone else ? Or am I the only one who runs into these clowns ?

Really, why did you waste your time dissing another DJ because he wasn't as prepared as you?

I don't think anyone is going to empathize with you here, you're just making yourself out to be some elitist.

Last edited:
things happen. people forget to bring stuff. needles seem to be the one thing i often forget to bring to a gig. I always find it good to keep an extra set of mounted al-500s in my record bag at all times just in case someone goes, "oh crap! i forgot to bring my carts!" I feel people should be prepared but things happen to all of us. I broke my headphones once and someone lend me theirs if it was the other way around i would of done the same and not complain about it.

I think people should at least bring their own phones. But needles, nah.. that **** should be ok.

Fluck guys I think the dude was just trying to vent...dont get so negative about it...
..I think that it is definatly a smart Idea to bring your own carts---and phones ,and slip mats even , just for flucks sake..then you know all your ****s gonna run smoove.And you wont run into any surprises,well hopefull anyhow...

..just my 2 cents:monkey:

I tend to bring my own simply because i don't trust club carts - and i need the Shure unskippable power.
Having said this, i think for a straight mix dj you actually tend to get more funny looks when you DO bring your own.

in my experience I've got to supply the turntables! but that's house partys for ya.
I've got pals though who bring a kit of gear with them when playing out at the club, because even slipmats are ripped off from the club tables occassionally. They've got extra gear in the bag "just in case" -crap headphones, old carts, slipmats, one guy even carried an old mixer and RCAs. Believe it or not, it saved the night one saturday. But I don't see lugging around an extra mixer as practical. The club should supply this!

this dude who started this thread needs to get a clue. ive been spinnin for over 8 years. i never bring my needle to gigs. you sound like you want to come across to people as a "pro dj" but you dont at all. why dont we all start luggin the 1200's to gigs too.

:bat:

amen. i have been spinning for a fair bit myself- 6 years. and the gigs i have spun, not too many, i have always seen the venue provide the carts. while maybe scratch dj's and turntablist exhibitions have different protocols i speak for standard events-

it seems the original poster is too hardcore for his own good.

Relax guys. He posted an opinion, I think everyone's allowed that.

BTW I also take extra needles and mats w/me just in case.

-Gene

I need $$$

Yeah... I agree with mauro...

I always pack needles with spares, headphone and mats. I don't mind to let people borrow because he/she forgets. But I can't honestly say that I won't be pissed if the person breaks my stuff. What I don't like more is when a dj borrows my records!!! From my experience I got so many records of mine stolen... The one that I miss the most is the original press of The Pharcyde "Bizzare Ride II" on clear color vinyls....UNCENSORED!!! :cry:

Okay,Okay I think every one needs to relax. The point I was tring to make on this thread is how rude the dj & his reaction to me on how he could care less about not bringing & braking my needles.I was just blowing off steam As i mentioned before I dont mind helpinging out other DJs when in need ,but if your gonna sit their & act like an ***....there's something wrong with you. This guy just didnt care.
I'm not trying to sound pompous or conceited, iam just voicing my opinin on this mattter.
In MY 14 years as a DJ i feel its his/hers own responsabillaty to bring their own needles. Why would someone want to use the clubs/house needles anyway?what if their needles messed up or worn & dont sound good,thats gonna reflect you.
And yes, I feel its always professional to always be prepared.
Whats wrong with that ?

Last edited:
Back