difference between cuttin and scrattchin

I think it varies for most people.

I usually refer to cutting as some tiny scratches here and there during a mix.

Scratching is a complete long out session of scratches to a beat.

Thats how I take it.

i'd say it a little different. i'd say that you "cut" every time you scratch--that is, you "cut" the sound you're scratching into pieces. the best examples of this for me are flares and transforms, where you literally chop (read: "cut") the sound up. so in my view, all scratches involve cuts. you can "cut" beats, too, and that's what you do when you juggle.

cutting is when you take one sample and play it from the start. and replay it.. over and over.. faster and faster..

scratching is the art of turntablism

usually it means the same thing, if you're scratching or cutting it up, it's the same, or like if i'm gonna go scratch for a bit, or go cut for a bit, same thing, but technically, scratching would be the record hand moves, like pushing and pulling the record, and cutting would be with the fader, turning the sound on and off, pz

Neokinetik said:
usually it means the same thing, if you're scratching or cutting it up, it's the same, or like if i'm gonna go scratch for a bit, or go cut for a bit, same thing, but technically, scratching would be the record hand moves, like pushing and pulling the record, and cutting would be with the fader, turning the sound on and off, pz

yerp...

I usually think of cutting as the type of mix you do where you don't blend but you quickly move the crossfader from one channel to another in the tiny space between beats, so that it sounds continuous. In other words, the most common form of mix in hip-hop.

But now that I think about cutting meaning scratching, MCs talking about having their DJ "on the cuts" is starting to make a lot more sense.

I guess people use the word to mean different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
diverse said:
I usually think of cutting as the type of mix you do where you don't blend but you quickly move the crossfader from one channel to another in the tiny space between beats, so that it sounds continuous. In other words, the most common form of mix in hip-hop.

Yeah, I agree. Cuts were the way dj's used to do tricks on the turntables, "cuttin" between one record and another to get the party hyped. Scratchin' is more complex, ranging from the basic baby scratch that the newbies start out with to the mixture of cuttin and scratchin to drum on the record or to beatjuggle and such.

You don't don't have to kno how to cut to scratch. It's just that if u don't, you're gonna end up with limited skills and weak "scratch tatics".

QBert and what used to be ISP can do both, and they integrated it and advanced it so friggin much that people get confused and didn't know which was which.

Hope you got some knowledge...:sing:

ok so i registered for this forum because i had to tell you folks the difrence between scratchin and cutting. scartchin is with your crossfader cuttin is with your up and down fader.you can always cut from one song to another but the term was coined to express the noise created when using the up fader.will be posting scratch sessions also cause i am the only dj i know. yes very sad but i want to see what you think.oh yeah who told me this! roc raida on scratchology the x-ecutioners latest mix cd<---and i almost forgot to site that yall woulda been like bull.... but i dropped the name(i thought you guys were scratch nerds) keep rubbin wax and much love to needle whores everywhere

can you still cut with a steak knife can you still scracth with your foot???
Umm who knows but once again the term was coined to describe the sound or effect you get when you use your channel fader.yes you can still cut sound in and out in the literal sense of cutting sound in and out but in the context this word was brought up in no you cannot.do not pass go do not collect 200 hundred dollars

aight, baby SCRATCHING's only the record, no mixer, forward CUTTING's with the fader, and letting the sound play from the start over and over, so i dunno, maybe i'm wrong, but the techniques say scratching's with the record, cutting's with the mixer, but, every person prolly has their own opinion... make up your own difference... lol

Back