Making Money as a Producer...

j.troup

This thread gave a valuable run down of how Music Publishing works for the Producer, Writer, Artist and Record Label.

I wanted to repost what I wrote (which I've turned into a Tumblr post) for all of FP to take advantage of.

I hope you enjoy and shout out to Legal Dollaz for the input...And Mods, y'all should Sticky this one, because this is how we get paid from this Hip Hop and R&B music we make...

(and for more info on The Business of Music, check out my business Tumblr Blog www.TROUPGenius.Tumblr.com)

MUSIC PUBLISHING OVERVIEW

Music Publishing: A music publisher is one who exploits a copyright (song). It’s the job of a music publisher to squeeze as much money from a song as possible. Music Publishing is a fancy way of saying revenue generated from the exploitation (in a good way) of a song. There are 4 types, ordered from most $$ to least $$ typically generated…

Mechanical Publishing:
Money from Music Sales. Whether physical or digital sales.

Performance Publishing:
Money Generated from the performance of the song. This includes radio play, song being played in venues (Stadiums, Starbucks, etc), and concerts.

Sync Publishing:
Money from “syncing” the music with pictures/movies…as in putting the song in a commercial or a movie.

Print Publishing:
Money from Sheet Music or the PRINTING of lyrics (say in a magazine ad, or in a book)

COPYRIGHTS
In the eyes of the law, each song is considered ONE COPYRIGHT. And a Copyright is comprised of 2 parts (Songwriter and Instrumental) of 2 (Creator and Publisher). So here’s the breakdown of the ownership percentages of a single Song Copyright:

Songwriter Portion (Lyrics) (50% of the total Copyright)
Creator of Words: aka the Songwriter (25% of total Copyright)
Publisher of Words (25% of total Copyright)

Instrumental Music Portion (50% of the total Copyright)

Creator of the Music (25 of the Copyright)
Publisher of the Music (25% of the Copyright)

**It’s important to note that upon the CREATION of the works, the creators are automatically assigned 100% of ownership rights. So when someone creates a song, they automatically own all of the rights to it. The only way they “lose” the rights to their work is when they sell those rights to another party (aka “sign them away”).

So why is a copyright broken out into 2 parts? Because often times, a song is exploited in separate parts. For instance, the song lyrics may be printed as apart of a magazine ad. In that case, the creator of the lyrics would get paid, because their work was used (Print Publishing), but since no music was used, the creator of the music doesn’t get paid. And conversely, the instrumental part of the song may be used in a movie or commercial (Sync Publishing) so the person who wrote the words doesn’t get a cut of that, since none of the words were used.

The Creator portion is of course the person(s) who created the works…they are entitled to a percentage ownership simply because they CREATED the works. The Publisher is the person/entity who is out working hard to ensure that song makes every single dollar it can. Typically, a portion of the Publishing is assigned to the Record Label (this is where things get hairy, so since we’re not working with a record label, we’ll leave that part for another day!)

So that’s how a copyright is broken down into percentages. Now why is this important? Because it determines the division of how the creators of the work get paid from the exploitation of their intellectual property. Any revenue received from the song is broken up equally, according to the Copyright percentages, for Performance Publishing, Sync Publishing and Print Publishing. But it works slightly different for MECHANICAL (Sales) Publishing. Here’s why…

MECHANICAL PUBLISHING (SALES)

Traditionally, the lions share of money made from music was made from the SALE of music. And in the early days, shady record labels were notorious for finding ways to separate music creators from the money they were rightfully owed from the sale of said music. So Congress stepped in and established what’s known as the Statutory Rate. What the Statutory Rate says is…

“Every time a song is sold, $X MUST go to the music creators, to be split up equitably according to the Copyright Ownership percentages”.

That $X is a dollar amount set by Congress, which is reviewed (and increased) every 10 years or so. That rate is currently $0.091 (9.1 Cents) (Here’s an article from the Library of Congress that breaks down the different types… http://www.copyright.gov/carp/m200a.pdf)

This was done to PROTECT the music creators, to ensure that they got properly compensated for their work:

BREAKDOWN OF MONEY FROM MUSIC SALES

Now for the sake of making the math simple, I’ll only deal with the sale of one single (say, on iTunes), for $0.99 (99 Cents). Ring tones, streaming (Pandory, Spotify) and other types of music delivery are handled slightly differently.
So….when a song is sold on iTunes for 99 cents, here’s how everyone gets paid according to the copyright percentages… (Not taking into account the 30% that Apple gets, for the privilege of using their digital store!)

Cost of 1 Single Download: $0.99
Statutory Mechanical Rate: $0.091

Songwriter (25% of the total Copyright)
.25 x $0.091 = $.02275 (2.75 Cents)

Songwriter Publisher (25% of the total Copyright)

So the Songwriter(s) will generate royalties of 4.55 cents per song sold on iTunes

The creator of the music works the exact same:

Music Creator (25% of the total Copyright)

Songwriter Publisher

So the Music Creator(s) will generate royalties of 4.55 cents per song sold on iTunes

So the Song Creators (Songwriter, Music Composer) are guaranteed (By the Statutory Mechanical Rate set by Congress) to get paid 9.1 Cents from the sale of ONE song on iTunes. Well of course, a song on iTunes costs 99 cents…so you may be asking who gets the remaining 89.9 Cents???

THE RECORD LABEL!!!!!

Why? It is assumed that the record label has assumed all of the costs in creating the record (paying for the studio, the equipment, etc), as well as all of the costs in marketing and promoting the record (which includes paying for the artist to tour, paying for radio campaigns, magazine ads, etc), which easily tops millions of dollars. They also have to pay the staff of the record label, and the overhead associated with running the business. The leftover money is to cover their costs, and also have them make a profit.

In the case of an independent artist, there is no record label, so they act as their own record label, thus entitling them to that share of the revenue from sales.

Last edited:
Hey Troup, why don't you write a book? I really think it would sell, and I know I'd buy it. You always got some valuable input.

lol...what would I write a book about???

The ins and outs of the music industry. The new model of making music off money. Getting record deals and how labels will try and take advantage of young artists who don't know a thing about the business. Etc...

The ins and outs of the music industry. The new model of making music off money. Getting record deals and how labels will try and take advantage of young artists who don't know a thing about the business. Etc...

lol. I don't know nothing about the ins and outs of the music industry. I just know the bullshit that I've been through. And trust me, that's only the TIP of the bullshit iceberg, and nowhere near comprehensive of Ins and Outs.

As far as the new model of making money off music, yeah, I think I've figured that part out. I just have to PROVE it works with some true blue, overwhelming success stories. I'm working on that part...

The industry isn't ALL BAD...just a bunch of shitty people running it, and a bunch of ignorant people not knowing what they are signing.

Actually, I agree with 360 deals, and feel it shoulda been like that from day 1, IMO.

Give me 5 years...then I'll write a book. Until then, tune in to my Twitter (@JTroupTV) and my Tumblr (www.TROUPGenius.tumblr.com)

I'll have my uStream back up and running sometime in the near future...

in the end, itsn't it all about making a living ? i don't really care if the label is ten times as rich, let me get in the game, make a name, and then go independent

Very informative!!! I have been looking around to find something like this to let me know in detail! I def don't want to get caught up! Plus, I am into making beats myself and would need to know how this process goes! Thank you!

lol. I don't know nothing about the ins and outs of the music industry. I just know the bullshit that I've been through. And trust me, that's only the TIP of the bullshit iceberg, and nowhere near comprehensive of Ins and Outs.

As far as the new model of making money off music, yeah, I think I've figured that part out. I just have to PROVE it works with some true blue, overwhelming success stories. I'm working on that part...

The industry isn't ALL BAD...just a bunch of shitty people running it, and a bunch of ignorant people not knowing what they are signing.

Actually, I agree with 360 deals, and feel it shoulda been like that from day 1, IMO.

Give me 5 years...then I'll write a book. Until then, tune in to my Twitter (@JTroupTV) and my Tumblr (www.TROUPGenius.tumblr.com)

I'll have my uStream back up and running sometime in the near future...
I feel like I'm in the same boat with you man, just gotta keep pushing forward and have that 100% proof.

I agree with 360 deals as well, I don't know why it wasn't like that from the beginning.

nice

write a book about the business of beats

how to get paid
how to sell beats
where to sell beats :victory:

i see here is alot of knowledge in this forum

nice

write a book about the business of beats

how to get paid
how to sell beats
where to sell beats :victory:

i see here is alot of knowledge in this forum

Don't sell beats. Beats don't sell. Beats are free. Everybody makes beats.

SONGS sell. NAMES sell. REPUTATION sells. INFLUENCE sells. SKILLSET sells.

But BEATS?? Beats don't sell.

Why would you agree with 360deals? I don't understand that.
Maybe in a situation where you come with nothing on you end of the table.
So the label put up a risk to recoup, But as a standard no.

I never heard anyone say they would like a 360deal

Why would you agree with 360deals? I don't understand that.
Maybe in a situation where you come with nothing on you end of the table.
So the label put up a risk to recoup, But as a standard no.

I never heard anyone say they would like a 360deal

A 360 Deal is nothing but Venture Capitalism.

If an investor pumps millions of dollars into a company for Research & Development, for Branding, for Marketing, for Manufacturing...for everything...then they should share in ALL of the profits.

Same with a record label.

The way it should work, that is if my record label spends money to:

Sign you
Develop you
Market and Promote you
Radio Campaigns
Tour Support
Create Your Music

and basically MAKE YOU AN INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR...

Then I should be able to reap the benefits of all that money I put out in order to make you a star. You're on TV because of all the money I put into making you a star. I need a piece of that.

You're doing 50,000 seat shows because of the money I put out to make you a star. I need a piece of that.

You're endorsing those products because of the money I put out to make you a star. I need a piece of that.

(granted, that should all be for a finite length of time)

The problem is, with current 360 deals, the labels aren't putting up the investment capital to make the artist a star, but they are still dipping their hands in every single honey pot.

That's what I mean. It's only fair that someone should be able to profit from their investments.

I do agree...just like anything else....if someone makes a hot beat people will ask who made it....so it is about the person more so then the beat because I heard many hot beats....but those who have a good rep are the one who seem to "sell the most beats".....

So the aim should be a good reputation and style that is unforgettable over all! not just in the way you make beats.

Official Website: Beats For Sale | Buy Beats Online | Rap Beats | Hip Hop Beats

Soundclick Page: SoundClick artist: Star Tanner Productions - I am a beat maker/ producer. I specialize in making rap, hip hop, pop, techno, and r&b instrumentals

Email: startannerproductions@gmail.com

Back