Legal question about acapella rights

GjB

I was thinking of remixing an entire album and then selling it digitally. I don't think I would be able to legally do this because I wouldn't own the rights to the acapellas. Is there any way around this?

same as sampling. you need to clear it to sell it.

but if you give it out (to djs and bloggers) you can use it for promo.

Isn't it illegal to give out copyrighted material.

I don't think it matters that "you" aren't making money off it, the material is meant to be sold by the copyright owner and not distributed by anybody that wants to.

If that were the case file sharing wouldn't be illegal... nobody is making money from sharing. So you'd be sharing some copyrighted material mixed with your material. That's why you get kicked off of myspace for remixes...

I don't think you'll show up on the RIAA's radar though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it illegal to give out copyrighted material.

I don't think it matters that "you" aren't making money off it, the material is meant to be sold by the copyright owner and not distributed by anybody that wants to.

If that were the case file sharing wouldn't be illegal... nobody is making money from sharing. So you'd be sharing some copyrighted material mixed with your material. That's why you get kicked off of myspace for remixes...

I don't think you'll show up on the RIAA's radar though...

You're exactly right. It doesn't matter if ur making money or not....still illegal without the rights.

truthfully, labels like when people make remixes from songs they are actively pushing. it helps them make more money. but if you try to make money directly from their property, that's when they get upset. labels send out acapellas and instrumentals for a reason.

truthfully, labels like when people make remixes from songs they are actively pushing. it helps them make more money. but if you try to make money directly from their property, that's when they get upset. labels send out acapellas and instrumentals for a reason.

Copyright law > what label likes

Copyright law > what label likes

wetfloor2.jpg

no shyt Sherlock! lol.

it's about money. if you make the label money, they won't bother you. they actually might help you

but if you are taking money from their pockets, they will go after you. they might even make you an 'example'

if you make remixes and use them as a promo tool. and you don't sell them, or try to profit from them directly. you will be fine. just focus on pushing the remix out to the universe. I have a few friends who are famous off of doing remixes, now the labels pay them to do remixes.

if you make remixes and use them as a promo tool. and you don't sell them, or try to profit from them directly. you will be fine.

You "might" be fine.

A risk because it's still illegal.

Nothing will probably happen though. I make remixes all the time - for personal use - because just making beats gets boring sometimes. Remixes are more challenging to me and I think they show your music in a better light because the songs have lyrics (good lyrics)...

Ish is illegal Son! End of story.

But it ain't illegal. not even close!!! Now if you are selling the remixes, then it is. if you are selling a tshirt, and you get a free cd full of the remixes, you can get in trouble. if you are using the remix in a movie, album, tv, etc you will need to get the proper licenses.

But if you make remixes and push them to djs, you are fine! you can't be held responsible for djs playing music. legally it is no different than them playing the original.

Blog sites, I'm not sure about.

But it ain't illegal. not even close!!!

So I can burn copyrighted material to CD and pass it out?

as much as I want?

So people shouldn't complain if people don't buy their beats and just rip them from the web, rap on them and hand them out.

Copyrights only apply if you're making money? Is that what you're trying to tell me? I can have an 18 wheeler of every Tuesday full of all new releases and open up the back and get a bullhorn and say HAVE AT IT! THEY'RE FREE!

Lyrics are copyrighted too. I don't know much about the music biz but I know enough that you can't just willy nilly give people ish away BECAUSE LIKE I SAID... that's what file sharing is.... giving music away that you don't own. Doesn't matter if its just lyrics / lyrics with a beat / or just a beat

You were looking pretty good in those other threads... now... not so much. lol.

Put some remixes on your myspace page - let me report you - and then you go back to your page in a few days... let's try it.

so it's 'illegal' djs to play music?
I'm not saying distrubute cds to the public, I'm saying play music?

Clubs have to pay to play the music. The dj is the equivalent of the janitor.

Find me a club that doesn't pay licenses fee's to play the music. Not Jimmy's Jukejoint in Muskstank, AL either. A legit business.

A restaurant or anything. If you can name some, they're playing the music illegally.

Quit trying to argue for no reason.... (or maybe you really don't know... hmmmm)

The OP talked about "selling" remixes, and if he didn't sell them and gave them away for free - that's distributing.

You can play music with no problem. That's legal. I play music all the time for people at my house. If I burn them CD's of it... I'm file sharing.

Have at it, you win.... :cry:

You can't use the acapella in any shape or form unless you have been given rights to it, doesn't matter if you're selling it or giving it away for free. I had plenty of remixes that I did on YouTube and Warner Music ended up deleting them. I obviously wasn't profitting from that.

You can't use the acapella in any shape or form unless you have been given rights to it, doesn't matter if you're selling it or giving it away for free. I had plenty of remixes that I did on YouTube and Warner Music ended up deleting them. I obviously wasn't profitting from that.

dwells said labels support remixes...

:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for chiming in.

:cheers:

Back