IS Hip Hop Taking A DIVE!??Like 90's Rock music did!

D$truction Band

Llewellyn the Beat Wizzz
Fewer and fewer Hip hop tracks in the Top 20's,
The rise of E.DM, Rappers featuring & producing more and more E.D.M style music, eg Nicki Minaj, 2 chains.
White Girls getting ridiculously famous by 'DISSING' the message of Hip Hop eg Jessie J-Price tag and especially Lorde-Royals,
Snoop Dogg Bounced, Eminem returned, Lil wayne is off the charts and Kanye is only Getting worse!
Of course it will never die but rock didn't die either!
Are we witnessing the fall of this Magnificent genre ?

Hip-Hop is resilient.

I'm not satisfied with it's state but there is quite a bit of good music coming out, especially from the west side.

Don't get it twisted. Hip-Hop is not like any other music genre, it's a culture, a lifestyle.

Hip-Hop is resilient.

I'm not satisfied with it's state but there is quite a bit of good music coming out, especially from the west side.

Don't get it twisted. Hip-Hop is not like any other music genre, it's a culture, a lifestyle.

True but even the culture is shifting drastically !!From Gangsta to Gay!!

Not at all. You just have to know where to look. IMO Hip hop isn't measured by charts or billboards, $$$ is.

I agree 100% with 'USB_YERT', there's heaps of good hip-hop coming out at the moment. Joey Bada$$ and the whole beast coast movement, Chance the rapper and Vic Mensa, some more underground artists like Bishop Nehru, Dillon Cooper, Topaz Jones. These guys are all on the come up IMO.
You are right though, there's a lot of mainstream stuff getting mixed with the rap side of things (Like Eminem's direction and not to mention no name rappers getting on EDM beats) which I don't like but I don't think that is going to stop "good" hip-hop from coming out.

What makes people think that hip hop is on the verge of falling off? Doesn't make no sense. Been saying the same thing for 10 years now.....so how did people get stuck in the same mind set?

The internet.

It ain't going nowhere. It's like saying the NBA is fallin off, because your favorite player retired....and nobody catches your attention like him. And it's just you......in a room full of people who love the NBA....you the only one saying it. Because you didn't love the NBA ever, you loved a couple of players.......because of their shoes, the way they dunk....ect. The difference between rock and rap........in high school you can't bring your guitar....and guitars cost money.....but everybody can bust a flow. Cost nothing. If anything it's getting bigger and bigger. Jin came into the music business at the wrong time. He got signed, but wasn't hard enough. Now it's the opposite. Hip hop is open to average people now with no fear. Where as before nobody cared for average people. You had to live rough....your life story had to be just as exciting as your raps. Dumbasses shooting theirselves and getting killed.....dudes dying today with just a little fame over beef. But it's rappers all over the world now. You saying it's falling off.....when next year someone from Europe featuring a song with hot rapper in the U.S.

Juicy J..........the guy that said..."you say you on your period, I ain't hearing it" featured on a song with Katy Perry.....Katy Perry on Urban radio. Lady GaGa featured some rappers.....not just any rappers to. Not just some pop song poppers living everyday for that opportunity.....but Too Short....Twista.

What is yall sayin?

Jay Z...........the guy that had an album out called The Streets Is Watching....had one of the top selling albums last year and featured on the top selling album.

I mean any way you slice, I can't see how people are still coming to a conclusion that rap is turning into rock. You must want that thought in the atmosphere.....you know how dumb the powers that be are. You feed it, these blogs feed it, these forums feed it....and then they eat it, and shit it out. Yall ain't slick. :) :cheers:

Awesome response Yokuzin ,
But my point here is about Hip hop music itself not rap or rappers, as far as im concerned Twista on a lady Gaga track is not Hip Hop, We cant call The National Anthem of America a Metal song if Steven Tyler sings it.

My view is Hip Hop is certainly weakening in the mainstream game. From the dominant Force it's now being replaced by E.D.M on most global Charts, Kinda like how Rock was pushed out by Hip Hop. I mean look at Macklemore's Rise, a song that starts with "When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay" has pushed him to super stardom and won him 'Rap album of the Year' NWA would've been shot for such a line. I agree and thought your point about Guitars costing more than a flow was real gangsta homie. I also will never say rap is dead but Hip Hop is going underground !

Rock evolved, like most music genre's. I think u could argue that the whole grunge/Seattle thing replaced a certain notion of traditional rock.
I co-sign with yokuzin. Hip-hip is grown up now and has assimilated just about all other genre's while fusing with other musical forms
The ROOTS ARE THE HOUSE BAND ON THE TONIGHT SHOW. Do you know how serious that is?
Once this:

Now this

Awesome response Yokuzin ,
But my point here is about Hip hop music itself not rap or rappers, as far as im concerned Twista on a lady Gaga track is not Hip Hop, We cant call The National Anthem of America a Metal song if Steven Tyler sings it.

My view is Hip Hop is certainly weakening in the mainstream game. From the dominant Force it's now being replaced by E.D.M on most global Charts, Kinda like how Rock was pushed out by Hip Hop. I mean look at Macklemore's Rise, a song that starts with "When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay" has pushed him to super stardom and won him 'Rap album of the Year' NWA would've been shot for such a line. I agree and thought your point about Guitars costing more than a flow was real gangsta homie. I also will never say rap is dead but Hip Hop is going underground !

Whole post is contradicting itself. No offense........you one of those 90 era is real hip hop dudes. Yall are the equivalent of stoners rocking Pink Floyd shirts. EDM......replacing hip hop? Shit is still hip hop. Nobody could dance to that 90's stuff. Doing the same old two step. Dudes still breaking in 2014 getting paid and gaining a fanbase. Hip Hop is way more alive now than it was when it was limited to two steppin, Timberland boot wearin, 40 cal 40 times on an album rappin, random thesaurus reading, Random gun magazine reading in a book store.....for the art of hip hop time wasting, era that everyone refers to as pure hip hop. MCs talking about they got skills..........let me see an MC spin on his neck. It don't take real skill to rap....even the best rapper people claim is great ain't all that great skill wise. It's mimicked. Let me see you scratch some records. Let me see one of them do a windmill and land on their elbow then back to their feet. Rappers for years have made people think they are so important and so hard working...to a point beatmakers give them beats. Skrillex is more hip hop than most 90's rappers. Macklemore is more hip hop than Kendrick....yeah I said it. Yall need to get this. You have been brainwashed for years by rappers who only wanted attention focused on them, And that's why you claim music is wack, you have a certain mindset about life based on hip hop. Those 90's rappers messed a lot of people's heads up to a point they don't see that the spirit of hip hop is so strong that it influences even the biggest companies today. Apple is influenced. Graphic designers are influenced. Adobe. Not with that crap that keeps the world isolated from hip hop, but the stuff that brings the world together. Pop music for a long time has been ran by a spirit of hip hop...technically...(no pun). Run DMC told you to walk this way, and yall made it illegal to do that. Macklemore spoke his mind........where the rappers at speaking their mind at about Macklemore? They on blogs and interviews complaining. That doesn't speak for hip hop as a whole, just that small percent that got stuck in the 90's now they use hip hop changing as an excuse to keep silent on the mic....they don't want to end up like Common...so instead they play the role of Charles Barkley and Jalen Rose nem. Using the same strategies everyone else use. Then they turn into what they were dissin, because now they seeing attention. Will wear a skirt and all that for the paper. Don't let them dudes fool you. :cheers: I wish a billionaire would offer one of those dudes a half a billion dollars to wear a skirt.........a real skirt.....lipstick, and a wig. I'd bet anything they would shut up and put it on....and disappear....a billion dollars richer.

Last edited:
Wow this is a serious accusation, which in some parts is true.There certainly is a rise in young mainstream white Rappers, Such as Mac Miller. And white kids are getting famous off hip hop YouTube videos. Hence them coming from a different background, Story means a different feel to Hip Hop. NWA had a real story that sold them and made them BUT the you tube story also sells. In all fairness there are a lot Of young Black rappers too, Tyler the creator, Joey Bad ass. It would be hard to blame it's decline on whites alone because quite frankly Hip hop was MADE BY BLACK people and Dominated by black people for Years. Where as in Run Dmc's case it was very different. So in imo pointing fingers at white kids who are also just tryna get rich is weak, we should be questioning the black Rappers at the top who are failing to 'pass the torch',and do nothing but watch the white kids rise.

Whites have hijacked it and are rewriting the rules. It's not so much that whites are active participants. They have always been. It's the fact that it's a new generation far removed from hip hop's origins with a snobby arrogant attitude to match. I could handle the older dudes like Rick Rubin, Eminem, RA the Rugged Man(they had a humbleness about them) but these white kids today are killing the culture. They fail to realize the music came from a particular culture. It's a little deeper than just rhyming words over a beat. If Americans started playing Mariachi music, we'd have to be considerate of the culture too.The fact that they can make viral videos as fans and even get acknowledged makes them even more arrogant. Hip Hop is following the same pattern as Rock, Jazz and Techno so I can't say I'm totally alarmed. It's just history repeating itself. Blacks create a new form of music only to be subsequently hijacked down the line. So the answer is yes Hip Hop is following the same pattern as Rock.

Whites didn't highjack nothing. They found a way in hip hop that includes them. So they can relate. It's not the other way around with our lazy asses stuck on getting rich as if hip hop is the NBA or some shit. They are at least having fun....the majority of what I see. And that is what hip hop is all about, right? Is that shit suppose to be 100% street? Hip hop was destined to be what it is whether it started in the streets or not. Maybe if the white folks started hip hop, we as black folks would look at it and advance it, make a hustle out of it, then what? The same outcome as we have today. What you see is destined. The problem? We focused on answer of why hip hop is not dominate in pop culture......the same culture that is said hip hop is against......right? Contradiction right there. It's more "colored folk" in the U.S now. White people will start feeling like they are segregated in a minute in the U.S.....and join the KKK because they feel left out...or try to get more intune with hip hop so they can grab them a twerker to impregnate....and be a part of this new mixed country.

Anyway you slice it, we can go back to twerking....isn't twerking hip hop? Didn't it make white girls spend money on that booty to make it fat? Cosmos told you that you had a lard ass when baby's got back came out.....Niki was on the cover of that. Did it make them want to twerk also? I'm not used to see big boned thick curvy Asian woman. If I want Asian, I don't look for big round asses....I like my Asian woman slim with a cute little booty...just a little meat. You can't tell her nothing though....just like a black woman. We need to get out of this illuminati mindset because we are missing the obvious stuff that has went on since jazz music. Let go of the contradiction and you'll see hip hop is nothing like rock anyway that you slice it.

Fewer and fewer Hip hop tracks in the Top 20's,
The rise of E.DM, Rappers featuring & producing more and more E.D.M style music, eg Nicki Minaj, 2 chains.
there has never been tons of rap/hip hop in the top 20. Did you miss Macklemore having a few indie hits and grammies recently? or the success of yg, drake, 2chains, etc. Get a clue. Rap has never been wildly successful as a genre, it's always been up to the strongest performer at a given time, and in between those individual successes, there's always talk about it dying out. Though there are strong performers right now so this discussion is lame. Now I admit mass appeal music is changing a lot. These tracks that Pharrel is having go number 1 wouldn't even be a hit 10 years ago. Same for much of the top 40. But hip hop is still mixed in there as it always has been. Oh and Rick Ross' crappy album just debuted at number 1.

Whites didn't highjack nothing. They found a way in hip hop that includes them. So they can relate. It's not the other way around with our lazy asses stuck on getting rich as if hip hop is the NBA or some shit. They are at least having fun....the majority of what I see. And that is what hip hop is all about, right? Is that shit suppose to be 100% street? Hip hop was destined to be what it is whether it started in the streets or not. Maybe if the white folks started hip hop, we as black folks would look at it and advance it, make a hustle out of it, then what? The same outcome as we have today. What you see is destined. The problem? We focused on answer of why hip hop is not dominate in pop culture......the same culture that is said hip hop is against......right? Contradiction right there. It's more "colored folk" in the U.S now. White people will start feeling like they are segregated in a minute in the U.S.....and join the KKK because they feel left out...or try to get more intune with hip hop so they can grab them a twerker to impregnate....and be a part of this new mixed country.

Anyway you slice it, we can go back to twerking....isn't twerking hip hop? Didn't it make white girls spend money on that booty to make it fat? Cosmos told you that you had a lard ass when baby's got back came out.....Niki was on the cover of that. Did it make them want to twerk also? I'm not used to see big boned thick curvy Asian woman. If I want Asian, I don't look for big round asses....I like my Asian woman slim with a cute little booty...just a little meat. You can't tell her nothing though....just like a black woman. We need to get out of this illuminati mindset because we are missing the obvious stuff that has went on since jazz music. Let go of the contradiction and you'll see hip hop is nothing like rock anyway that you slice it.

You are obviously too young to understand my sentiments from a historical standpoint. This is a pattern that has occured with Blacks with other genres in music. History consists of facts that cannot be denied. Only someone ignorant to history would overlook this ever occurring pattern.

Last edited:
Some may even say I'm contradicting myself because I recently defended whites when another fellow fp member bought up the same points. I said it wasnt a problem when the ATL was on top years ago. I must admit I have since changed my stance after seeing the new genration of arrogant whites both fans and artists who have no regard for the culture itself. That of course does not lessen my respect for the Jaisu's and Alchemists who do in fact understand the culture. Riff Raff and Action Bronson are examples of this disregard for the culture. There was a time when they would be clowned for their offensive "wigger behavior"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46ApfEasJA

Not only does he have corn rows, he takes it a step further and gets the Shirley Temple Curls like the West Coast pimps and players(lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLS-cpgbe0

Last edited:
Some may even say I'm contradicting myself because I recently defended whites when another fellow fp member bought up the same points. I said it wasnt a problem when the ATL was on top years ago. I must admit I have since changed my stance after seeing the new genration of arrogant whites both fans and artists who have no regard for the culture itself. That of course does not lessen my respect for the Jaisu's and Alchemists who do in fact understand the culture. Riff Raff and Action Bronson are examples of this disregard for the culture. There was a time when they would be clowned for their offensive "wigger behavior"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46ApfEasJA

Not only does he have corn rows, he takes it a step further and gets the Shirley Temple Curls like the West Coast pimps and players(lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLS-cpgbe0

How is that disregard for the culture? It's living the culture. They're just being them. Nothing more hip hop than that. Now if you ask me do I think Riff Raff is terrible? Yes I do. Action Bronson is cool though.

Truthfully though on a whole I really don't think hip hop is really being over ran. It's just changing it's becoming more inclusive. It's worldwide now. We just had a South Korean Rapper score a number 1 hit last year. Niggas ain't got to prove streetness to rap now. We got people who go to college and rap part time while on the way to trying to start their own business. It's universal. Come join the universe

How is that disregard for the culture? It's living the culture. They're just being them. Nothing more hip hop than that.

i'll let someone else answer that. That's why I had so much respect for Eminem . He understood the fine line you just don't cross. If some of you had direct relationships with Blacks all you'd have to do is ask them their opinion. I personally Like Riff Raff's energy and style but I could see some of my friends and older family members having issues with him trying to act Black. I'd protect him. Some wiggers rub me the wrong way worse than others like Action Bronson. He'd catch a beat down in the hood. That's why you dont see too many Blacks gravitate towards him or travel with him. He's got that one Black rapper in his circle but Riff Raff is actually likeable to some including me. Riff Raff was coked up and was like damn Duvall, don't put me on blast on the air like that(lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUpJYs9TOtA

As far as skills, Riff Raff is terrible and I thought Bronson was pretty good when he sounded like Ghostface. He has since gotten lazy and is sloppy with the raps now. I don't know if he's deliberately trying to change up his style to sound less like Ghost or has he just gotten lazy from the success.

Last edited:
Not at all. You just have to know where to look. IMO Hip hop isn't measured by charts or billboards, $$$ is.

I totally agree with this right here.

The usually 'Mainstream' HipHop is bleh here. But when you look other places you can totally find other great artists. Not all mainstream HH is bad though. Of course, I vouche for Kendrick Lamar, I like Schoolboy Q & Pusha T. I think they're pretty damn good if you ask me.

Back