You THINK you know...my NYC sessions Part I

j.troup

What's good FP...just wanted to share some things with y'all.

I'm up in NYC right now, producing and running some studio sessions for this girl named Bridget. My man D (who used to work for Def Jam for a few years) flew her and her BF out here from Seattle, and is putting them up in a hotel for a few weeks to bang out a demo for her, in an effort to try and get her signed.

He booked a few hours at Quad Studio's. For those that don't know, that's the studio where 2Pac got shot at the first time. It was and eerie feeling walking down that hallway to the elevator, thinking that at one point, Pac was laying on this floor bleeding. Anyway, I get upstairs and say wassup to the artist. I'd talked on the phone to her but never met her. She's a really cute chick, with a really great voice. The first song we were doing was to one of my beats...

l_4c5993a64187987ea070565361ec4e3c.jpg

So I walked up in the spot, met the artist, engineer (who engineer's for Nas' manager), etc, and a DJ who used to be Lyfe Jenning's world tour manager back during his first album. So I start chopping it up with her and gave her my card, while the engineer is doing sound checks.

Then in walks this girl Tiffany, with 2 or 3 other chicks...all FINE as hell. I start talking to Tiffany about what she does, and come to find out, she's a writer for Bad Boy, and Conrad is her manager. She tells me that she just landed a few joints on the new Danity Kane project. I told her I thought that project was wrapping up, and she said the project is cutting records until LATE DECEMBER, so I should still keep writing joints.

So by this time, it's about 9pm (we started at 8), and we start the session. There are about 10 EXTRA people in this little ass room (we had to book the D room, cuz the A room was blocked off for someone more "important"...lol), and new people coming and going all the time.

So I'm trying to produce this song that I've never heard before. It's hard, because I'm trying to get ideas for background vocals, etc, etc, when I've never heard the track. Not only that, I'm NERVOUS as hell, cuz there are all these people in there, and when there are people around, I get self conscious as hell. That was the real difficult part. Not only having to produce a song that I've never heard before, but doing it IN FRONT of like 30 people I've never seen...and some pretty important people at that.

So then about 9:30 or so, in walks Suga J and his entourage. If anyone remember's Mase's group Harlem World, Suga was in that group. Right now he's pretty well connected, and has started his own production company, and has a few artists. He walks in, diamonds all up in the chain and the watch. And not to be a groupie or anything, but them sh!ts is WAY MORE IMPRESSIVE in person. I'm looking at that chain and that watch like DAMN!!! lol...

l_2739dbce80ef6770a490c41112abf890.jpg

(Suga J, Larry the Engineer, Bridget the artist, Me the producer, and this dude Mack)

So me and Suga J kick it for a minute. I've talked to him on the phone before. I asked him if he got some of the beats i sent, and he's like yeah, he fvcks with some of them. So I told him to get at me if he needs anything, he was like cool.

So the beat is banging in speakers, we're recording, and people are feeling the music. Then maybe around 10:30 or so, everybody starts leaving the studio. I feel this rush of calm come over me, cuz now I can WORK. So when everyone leaves, then I can really get down to business.

At this point, my nerves are settled somewhat, and I'm doing my thing.

Then, in walks another dude and his entourage. It's MIKE LIGHTY, the president of Violator Management (Busta, Missy, Ja Rule, etc, etc)...Chris Lighty's brother. They ask Bridget to sing a hook real quick. So we stop what we're doing, and she spends the next hour learning that hook and singing it. And I spend time just talking to other people who were there.

I ain't talk to Chris Lighty, cuz he was being kinda quiet, and I was trying to produce the session. I wanted to talk to him and hit him off with a CD of some beats, cuz I need management, but i ain't wanna play the groupie role. So I let it pass.

Funny thing is, as I'm talking, this one dude is like DON'T YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE VIDEO??? I started laughing and said yeah. Apparently some of the people in the room know me from being on PMP, and my youtube videos. That was funny.

Anyway, the session raps up, and I walk out in the lobby and take a few pictures with the PLAQUES!!!! lol

(me and Bobby's "Don't Be Cruel" platinum Plaque)

l_3f469a20230606988e409e2747607270.jpg

(the rest of the wall of fame)

l_fe4b34dbab2ad43bc6cf10df9520a8b2.jpg

Overall, it was a very positive experience. I was nervous as hell, cuz I'm trying to produce a song that I've never heard before, in front of all these people that I've never seen before. I couldn't come up with any good background harmonies, because I'd never heard the song before. So it coulda gone better in that respect. But on the other hand, I was recording right in the middle of Time Square. Look out the window of the studio, and saw all the bright lights.

Man...if this is what I went thru, I can't IMAGINE what the big boys go thru. I envy them, but I don't envy them!!!

Tonight, we're up in a studio called Legends (i think). I'll take more pics and stuff. Hopefully tonight goes ALOT better than last night did.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Last edited:
WHOOOOO LOL CONGRATS!!!

how u likin my beautiful homelands of New York.. pretty fly rite??

u gotta take pics if your really goin to the Legends studio im thinkin bout.. cause from what i've heard its pretty impressive

the best part of bein in New York, is that even if u have nuttin to do with music.. u still can meet all these people.. just by being friendly, respectful and not all up in their face.

congrats Troup.. and have fun in ur stay in the big apple..

damn man, that **** sounds hot! u shoulda just passed the **** to Lighty anyway man. who knows when u'll see him next.

u'r work just let's u off whenever u want or what?

Sounds like you had a ton of fun there, man. I totally forgot that Pac was shot there at the Quad Studios. Did it bother you to the point that you couldnt stay focused or were the pretty ladies enough to keep your mind on??? LOL:D

Staggerlee said:
My question is why did your friend flow her boyfriend as well? How dumb is that? lol........

Cuz she's a 4'11, 21 year old girl. She's not gonna travel to NYC from Seattle and stay for weeks by herself.

Marol said:
Sounds like you had a ton of fun there, man. I totally forgot that Pac was shot there at the Quad Studios. Did it bother you to the point that you couldnt stay focused or were the pretty ladies enough to keep your mind on??? LOL:D

It was fun in a sense, but it was work. And I ignored the pretty ladies. Had a job to do. Hell, I all but ignored Mike Lighty too!

Business...had a job to do. Wanted to get the song done.

Last edited:
Very cool!

Troup,

I don't post much, but I've been following your posts for awhile now Its inspirational to see you turn this producer thing from fantasy to reality. Keep at it, and make FP proud!

j.troup said:
Cuz she's a 4'11, 21 year old girl. She's not gonna travel to NYC from Seattle and stay for weeks by herself.

It was fun in a sense, but it was work. And I ignored the pretty ladies. Had a job to do. Hell, I all but ignored Mike Lighty too!

Business...had a job to do. Wanted to get the song done.

All Im saying is you could have kept her company, but anywayz...:D

Coolhouse Rex said:
Troup,

I don't post much, but I've been following your posts for awhile now Its inspirational to see you turn this producer thing from fantasy to reality. Keep at it, and make FP proud!

Thanx, I appreciate it. I'm trying to turn it into reality. Last night was really hard though. I'm being really hard on myself, cuz I couldn't execute some things that I wanted to.

But I am relatively new to actually PRODUCING an entire song, and it's even harder with 30 people in the room, some very important, and some very established. So I was very self conscious about everything that I was doing, and very tense, so the ideas really weren't flowing like I needed them to.

Hopefully tonight goes better.

Staggerlee said:
All Im saying is you could have kept her company, but anywayz...:D

lol...nah, I don't get down like that. Strictly business. In the studio, i'm STRAIGHT business...

speaking of which I stuck out like a sore thumb in my button down shirt and slip on loafers, among the sea of diamonds, jeans, t-shirts, and AF-1's...LOL...

just how I want it to be!!!

Last edited:
j.troup said:
Cuz she's a 4'11, 21 year old girl...

i jus thought u were tall lol. good **** tho troup. keep it up. its all a learning experience, good luck tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats wassup but where's the video....can't you secretly record something

Congratz dude!

Im glad you still have time to come back and tell us about your experiences! Thnkx again and I hope to hear more about other sessions you have!

Back