Wiz Khalifa Responds To Criticism Of “O.N.I.F.C.” Cover Art, Jimi Hendrix Comparisons

Wiz Khalifa speaks on the backlash he received for his ’60s-inspired “O.N.I.F.C.” cover art. Fan response was decidedly negative when Wiz Khalifa released the cover art to his upcoming sophomore studio effort O.N.I.F.C. (Only Nigga In First Class) earlier this month. Now, in a recent interview with Karen Civil, the Pittsburgh emcee responds to the criticism.

Read Full Story And Watch Interview Here >>> Wiz Khalifa Responds To Criticism Of “O.N.I.F.C.” Cover Art, Jimi Hendrix Comparisons

“With the [O.N.I.F.C.] cover and everything, it’s just moving into the future,” he said. “We can’t stay where we’ve ever been at, we got to move forward…"

Yes, a throwback cover to the 60s, and 15 songs all about smoking weed, spending millions on cars/alcohol/women is really "moving forward into the future." lol..

This is like 2 Chainz last interview where he says it took him his entire life to write this album; the album was something completely different than what's in rap today. I damn near died when I read that. Its the same bullshit as every other song on the radio. I love how these artists don't have the slightest courage to do anything different but they claim their material is revolutionary and totally different.

Me personally I didnt like the cover because it shows how much the industry changed him. If you watch his video blogs now he dress like some kinda punk star or something. His flow is much diffrent from the "Burn after rolling" era, and he doesnt even wear chuck taylors anymore. ITS TAYLOR GANG AND HE DOENT WHERE CHUCKS ANYMORE. smh, taylor allderdice was good, but all the stuff he put out after, I'm not really liking how the album might sound.

“With the [O.N.I.F.C.] cover and everything, it’s just moving into the future,” he said. “We can’t stay where we’ve ever been at, we got to move forward…"

Yes, a throwback cover to the 60s, and 15 songs all about smoking weed, spending millions on cars/alcohol/women is really "moving forward into the future." lol..

This is like 2 Chainz last interview where he says it took him his entire life to write this album; the album was something completely different than what's in rap today. I damn near died when I read that. Its the same bullshit as every other song on the radio. I love how these artists don't have the slightest courage to do anything different but they claim their material is revolutionary and totally different.

its not that they dont have the courage. They really feel theyre doing something different. It's an ego thing

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Me personally I didnt like the cover because it shows how much the industry changed him. If you watch his video blogs now he dress like some kinda punk star or something. His flow is much diffrent from the "Burn after rolling" era, and he doesnt even wear chuck taylors anymore. ITS TAYLOR GANG AND HE DOENT WHERE CHUCKS ANYMORE. smh, taylor allderdice was good, but all the stuff he put out after, I'm not really liking how the album might sound.

thats what happens when you get money though, you buy new clothes, youre exposed to things. He's seen much more now than he was back then. Kanye West used to wear jerseys and XXL Polo shirts. Now he wears damn near Kilts and Leather Chaps.

It's life. I buy things now that i never thought of buying before because i wasnt exposed to it

Blowing Kush, Balling Hard, Tossing Women... How is that different than any other rapper? He's a carbon copy of every other rapper in the industry. The only difference I see with Wiz is that he doesn't talk about killing dudes who look at him wrong. But if that's a differentiator in hiphop, I dont know what to say.

I bump Montana, Ross, Jeezy, all that shit....but when these dudes come out and say they're on some different sh*t, I get taken back. WTF am I missing? How are they different?

Or are you saying that "They only think that they're different"?

its not that they dont have the courage. They really feel theyre doing something different. It's an ego thing

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Blowing Kush, Balling Hard, Tossing Women... How is that different than any other rapper? He's a carbon copy of every other rapper in the industry. The only difference I see with Wiz is that he doesn't talk about killing dudes who look at him wrong. But if that's a differentiator in hiphop, I dont know what to say.

I bump Montana, Ross, Jeezy, all that shit....but when these dudes come out and say they're on some different sh*t, I get taken back. WTF am I missing? How are they different?

Or are you saying that "They only think that they're different"?

yea im saying. In his head, he thinks hes doing something different and revolutionary. And he's entitled to that, some people may agree with him, i think Wiz's sound and approach to the things he talks about is very different as well was his approach to the game and how he bounced back after a failed label deal where most artists would fall off entirely. He changed his whole image and popularized the weed smoking culture on a major level again. On top of the crazy tours and stuff he put out, tapes like that Kush & Orange Juice were crazy, as far as the beat choice and some of the songs.

every artist has their own nuances and traits that make how they approach the game.

i make beats, and use the same tools as a bunch of people, same chords, same drum sounds, but its my traits as a producer and the little things that distance me from others with my same skillset

Wiz isnt doing anything groundbreaking, and he may be sipping his own kool-aid, but i think his body of work and the success he has and fanbase he has built... when others who do the same thing have failed horribly at it is worth giving him his credit

The cover waas a bit too blan and plain to me. I love his dolmation jacket though. lol

Wiz is a special cookie. Dude is growing up and like another poster sed is being exposed to new things. I wouldnt want to wear chucks all my life either.

Back