why i LOVE working in a music studio

joey tunez

Subliminalz Music Team
- all the cool gear. you look around and there is so much technology to do so much cool stuff in here, cutting edge software that makes things easy and vintage gear that can't really be replicated. so many toys.

- meeting cool people. i have met mayer hawthorne, wiz khalifa, the jakka, kokane, freeway, the blue scholars and a host of other up and coming artist. jake one just pops the hell up from time to time, i walked in once and taleb kweli was asking me where to get good sushi.

- hearing cool music before it comes out and being a part of putting it together. i got albums on our desk top that i had to sign legal paperwork not to talk about. moving on...

- helping new artist explore their potential. nothing better than seeing that look on a clients face when they realize they sound better after doing what you directed. getting that take home mix and feeling like "i want to do this for a living".

- the good laughs from the truly bad sessions. theres always going to be clowns. i get awesome stories to tell. there was a rapper that once got so drunk/high he couldn't figure how to get out of the booth and fell asleep in it, on the door. making it very hard getting in there to get him out.

- getting paid to do music

your turn, instead of focusing on the negative what do you LOVE about working in a music studio?

the overall vibe when first walking in the studio. the breath of fresh air from a bedroom or basement or whatever. its pretty refreshing.

man i be seeing studio prices and i've never been in one but i'm wondering. where the hell y'all get the bread to just chill in the studio lol

man i be seeing studio prices and i've never been in one but i'm wondering. where the hell y'all get the bread to just chill in the studio lol

I get the vibe that he works at the studio... so they prolly pay him. Lol.

I intern at a studio now ... I like the vibe of it overall... but that probably just depends on which studio you work at. A close friend of mine works there too, so it's usually just us there late nights, bored, so we end up trying weird mic techniques for drums or just experimenting with stuff.

I've never been in a studio before, but I've always wondered if I'd feel comfortable. I'm thinking of going into artist management and I assume I'll have to sit in on some sessions. Going by what I see on youtube, I'm not sure I'd like the vibe of being in the studio.

Back