Whos Steering Away From Sampling A Little Bit???

JAMESRRTT

lately I been composing more

also I been thinking If I get a placement I'll have to split my publishing and Ish and I dont wanna do that(lol)

also there's alot of legal shit that goes on with sampling

and also big krit even doubts sampling's future in hip hop

Big K.R.I.T. Doubts Sampling's Future In Hip Hop | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

this is coming from a person who use to strictly be a sample based producer
I dont know If I wanna sample too much anymore(real sad to say)

I made more off of sampled beats in 2004 that went on albums that went on to sale a few thousand units indie than some dudes make off composed beats on top 40 records in 2012. TRUE STORY. It's funny how people say they don't wanna sample anymore because of how things are split. Labels are broke these days, your splits will be f**ked up regardless. lol.

They throw Kanye, Wayne or Ross on your song, you getting f**ked the same way you would if there was a sample to clear. Because those dude's checks aren't gonna get smaller before yours does.

The point is do what's needed to make great records if you wanna reap the benefits of a great record. It may not take a sample from you, but I find it humerous how many people up here talk all this "composing" shyt who I can outplay by a landside, who I have better sounds and arrangements than, who I make hotter "from scratch compositions" than, yet, I still know sampling's my strongpoint. I sample because my sampled beats come out hotter than my better than most people's composed shyt.

If you ain't got no angle, you're just lost in the current, another raindrop in a river of B.S. Sampling may not be your angle, just saying, most people who make posts like the one you just made are losing one of their wow factors for the sake of a phantom check that hasn't come yet.

I sit down to make a hit record everytime I sit down. Nothing more nothing less. 9/10 That's gonna involve other stuff than what comes in a DAW. You have options, royalty free loops, samples that need clearance, live instrumentation, great sample libraries, other musicians for collabs, ect. But I'd rather place a sampled beat with an artist and split royalties than to make some "from scratch" shyt that they play 5 seconds before skipping to the next track.

Most of Krit's sound and fanbase came from the overall nostalgic elements of hip hop he brought. Doubt that he'll get the best material out there to his audience without sampling unless he goes with live band/like a dungeon family type route.

It's like going with coke that's half the price of your regular flake because you stand to make more profit...then realizing customers don't want the flake you got, that's why it was half off. Now you sitting on something you coulda got off if you weren't counting money that didn't exist yet.

Sometimes we should just focus on making the best product we can and letting the ball fall where it may.

I made this without sampling, it's not that I can't make music without sampling, not even that I can't outperform others who call themselves composers, it's that my sampled shyt SOUNDS BETTER and is what my clients request more.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8322081

Last edited:
I made more off of sampled beats in 2004 that went on albums that went on to sale a few thousand units indie than some dudes make off composed beats on top 40 records in 2012. TRUE STORY. It's funny how people say they don't wanna sample anymore because of how things are split. Labels are broke these days, your splits will be f**ked up regardless. lol.

They throw Kanye, Wayne or Ross on your song, you getting f**ked the same way you would if there was a sample to clear. Because those dude's checks aren't gonna get smaller before yours does.

The point is do what's needed to make great records if you wanna reap the benefits of a great record. It may not take a sample from you, but I find it humerous how many people up here talk all this "composing" shyt who I can outplay by a landside, who I have better sounds and arrangements than, who I make hotter "from scratch compositions" than, yet, I still know sampling's my strongpoint. I sample because my sampled beats come out hotter than my better than most people's composed shyt.

If you ain't got no angle, you're just lost in the current, another raindrop in a river of B.S. Sampling may not be your angle, just saying, most people who make posts like the one you just made are losing one of their wow factors for the sake of a phantom check that hasn't come yet.

I sit down to make a hit record everytime I sit down. Nothing more nothing less. 9/10 That's gonna involve other stuff than what comes in a DAW. You have options, royalty free loops, samples that need clearance, live instrumentation, great sample libraries, other musicians for collabs, ect. But I'd rather place a sampled beat with an artist and split royalties than to make some "from scratch" shyt that they play 5 seconds before skipping to the next track.

Most of Krit's sound and fanbase came from the overall nostalgic elements of hip hop he brought. Doubt that he'll get the best material out there to his audience without sampling unless he goes with live band/like a dungeon family type route.

It's like going with coke that's half the price of your regular flake because you stand to make more profit...then realizing customers don't want the flake you got, that's why it was half off. Now you sitting on something you coulda got off if you weren't counting money that didn't exist yet.

Sometimes we should just focus on making the best product we can and letting the ball fall where it may.

I made this without sampling, it's not that I can't make music without sampling, not even that I can't outperform others who call themselves composers, it's that my sampled shyt SOUNDS BETTER and is what my clients request more.

SoundClick artist: Phuk'dup Beats - Can't think of anything cool to type here.

solid post sir.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

@deranged I checked out your page. nice beats sir.

I like your sample tracks better than your composed ones(no pun intended)

I especially liked this one. reminds me of some old rocafella shit

SoundClick artist: Phuk'dup Beats - Can't think of anything cool to type here.

I don't think I'll ever want to stop sampling....but lately I've been washing samples in effects and being more subtle with it instead of chopping or looping the obvious riffs and melodies.

Sidenote, if you like the sound of sampling but want all rights, get into domain/royalty free stuff. Plenty of classical music, even stuff from James Brown, as well as tons of indie and underground records from soul to gospel to rock that can be LEGALLY SAMPLED.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Sidenote, if you like the sound of sampling but want all rights, get into domain free stuff. Plenty of classical music, even stuff from James Brown, as well as tons of indie and underground records from soul to gospel to rock that can be LEGALLY SAMPLED.

Just an example
Royalty-Free Music for use as Production Music, Hold Music and More

Last edited:
I haven't used samples for a beat since February when I sold my record collection. It was in part for money reasons but that was not the big thing there. It was more that I keep seeing more and more opportunities available for people who do not sample so I have been working on building a catalog of that stuff. I have been making beats for almost 10 years. I have spent about 7 or 8 of them making mostly tracks with samples. I bump into road blocks with artists who are afraid of samples a lot of the time. So this year has been about me getting my sound library right. Now I spend a lot of time just playing keys and not making anything to be honest and when I do plan to sample again I'll have a good variety of both kinds of tracks in my library.

me, i just dont give a sht anymore. i try and make what inspires me whether it be sampled or not, granted it might not always be great, but who cares im the only one that listens to it anyways and its hella fun to sample.

^ Yeah sure, had this skeleton loop on repeat for forever, bout time I step up and finish it

Ive been producing since 2005 and I have been strictly a sample based producer up until this year when I decided I needed to have a bit more variety in my beat catalog. Also, listening to a lot of music currently going its mostly all now non-sampled based so I wanna hit that market. So now Im making like 10 original beats and then diggin up a sample just to have the best of both worlds.

I do agree with deranged, at the end of the day, you have to produce the best record wether it be a sampled based beat or composed. Because rappers are gonna always choose the hardest beat out of the bunch.

Everything is cicular eventually sampling will come back as the popular choice in hiphop once the Trap/Techno rap era dies down.

Last edited:
I have been sampling less right now. When i started out i was sampling alot, but now i'm moving away from it. Occasionally i might hear something and go with the flow, but other than that, i make orginal stuff.

But still, i love sampled beats though

why not just make sampled trap shit? i do it, i love sampling heavy metal and obscure vocal trance for it

I feel you

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

I have been sampling less right now. When i started out i was sampling alot, but now i'm moving away from it. Occasionally i might hear something and go with the flow, but other than that, i make orginal stuff.

But still, i love sampled beats though

any particular reason you dont sample that much anymore sir?

great royalty-free samples

you can just loop up but you should chop/flip/+effects
Big Fish Audio | Music Loops, Drum Loops and Virtual Instruments

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​