Whos Steering Away From Sampling A Little Bit???

Sampling is in my DNA. The musicians back then, the instruments, those hard wood floors in the recording studio, those analog tape recorders are essential ingredients in hip hop versus that clean sound(even with effects) you get from non sampling. I also love those sampled vocals from records of the past. It adds alot of soul to a track.

Last edited:
any particular reason sir?

composed beats Is just your preference I'm guessing

also what are your views on the business/legal side of things on sampling?

naw just never really sampled in my career and plus i started out on Reason, so manipulating audio within reason was a headache

and i mean while it doesnt matter, companies and labels prefer not dealing with sampling because of the business side of having to reach out to the original copyright owners, but an undeniable record is just that.. so it doesnt really matter

but if youre into licensing for Film, Video Games, TV most of those dont want sampled music

i sample because im not good enough or creative enough on the keys to do the shit i'd want to do, thats the only reason

im honest enough to admit that lol

Last edited:
I'll never stop sampling. That's were hip hop came from. By sampling I'm paying dues to the fathers of hip hop. If majors complain about my samples I got plenty original stuff. If they really want the beat with a sample, that's on them. You want it that much, lets pay for it and keep it moving. Plus sampling is always just fun. I have a few beats that I have no intention of selling. Just beats with samples I love listening to.

i sample because im not good enough or creative enough on the keys to do the shit i'd want to do, thats the only reason

im honest enough to admit that lol

gotta give you props scott, not too many producers would have admitted that. lol

Last edited:
HAHA real talk. Nothing's wrong with that dude. If it's hot it's hot. Some producers pay other people to play the piano for them. So at the end of the day, what's the difference right?

HAHA real talk. Nothing's wrong with that dude. If it's hot it's hot. Some producers pay other people to play the piano for them. So at the end of the day, what's the difference right?
of course, once it gets to a point where i can be in a studio all day and have people play shit for me i'll go down that route at first opportunity

agreed

when do you think the trap era will be over sir?
I am seeing more and more A&Rs and twitter saying no trap beats. Southern beats are great just no trap. Sadly I don't think many people know the difference at this point lol

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Sampling is in my DNA. The musicians back then, the instruments, those hard wood floors in the recording studio, those analog tape recorders are essential ingredients in hip hop versus that clean sound(even with effects) you get from non sampling. I also love those sampled vocals from records of the past. It adds alot of soul to a track.
I used to feel the same way. If you get the right sound libraries you can get that same feeling. I used to sample only for the same reason now I can get fairly close

I am seeing more and more A&Rs and twitter saying no trap beats. Southern beats are great just no trap. Sadly I don't think many people know the difference at this point lol

That's because...

1. Everyone makes trap beats, so there's no A&R needing more of them to fill an album.
2. Most of them aren't that good and they've already established handfuls of guys to go to for them no need to look any further.
3. They only make for hood hits at this point. Those are not the singles raking in dough anymore.

If you are chasing the money, it's in the "dance/electronic-hip hop" stuff(Nicki, Flo Rida, Rihanna, Guetta, C. Harris, Pitbull, ect).

So if you're not sampling because you don't wanna mess up your money, you should also stop making trap beats and go with the pop stuff...for now.

That's because...

1. Everyone makes trap beats, so there's no A&R needing more of them to fill an album.
2. Most of them aren't that good and they've already established handfuls of guys to go to for them no need to look any further.
3. They only make for hood hits at this point. Those are not the singles raking in dough anymore.

If you are chasing the money, it's in the "dance/electronic-hip hop" stuff(Nicki, Flo Rida, Rihanna, Guetta, C. Harris, Pitbull, ect).

So if you're not sampling because you don't wanna mess up your money, you should also stop making trap beats and go with the pop stuff...for now.
i agree. I have been messing with electro stuff more and more. i hardly listen to rap anymore honestly I am all over top 40 stuff unless its an independent rap or soul artist.

Back