What are your guys' day jobs?

I

I_watch_stars

This might be a little off topic but I guess future producers does not have a "general talk" forum...

What do you guys do to pay the bills until you make it as a producer? I'm just curious because I work at as a grocery store cashier and it makes me wonder..you never know! The next big producer could be taking your order at McDonalds! Where can you guys be found making money while you're not grinding in the studio? Hopefully Im not the only one in here with a ****ty job just trying to get by hehe:)

Marketing exec./part time asst. engineer/ full time fellatio expert.(mostly a night time position though)

I think I saw this thread before.

Last edited:
Operator at a Telecommunications company. Looking for another job cause my schedule is bullsh1t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this post is a quarterly thing. Gotta keep the noobs familiar with all the characters.

I'm a Computer Consultant for the top Info Technology firm in the world.

Senior in High School. Too busy with extracurricular matters, at the moment, for employment.

Sup' stars

Social worker/correction officer/part time Dj/father/husband/indivdual.

used to be insurance medical billing data entry man but i left it cause i was going to harm someone out of frustration and left. i'm currently broke and jobless and i'm still cute to the girls who like em fluffy so i'll be fine for a while. i'm also a genius with music if you wanted to know. really... no lie. i am. :)

I seached for threads like this and didnt find any. Plus, I'm sure that different people have a chance to chime in since the last time this came up.

j.troup said:
I'm a Computer Consultant for the top Info Technology firm in the world.

So we have a bunch of bigshots in here so far huh? :)

Traxx...you're unemployed??? How do you get music equipment? Or....maybe I dont want to know hehe..

i play keys at sessions from time to time and get money and buy some stuff. God is keepin a brotha so far. times is rough right before the breakthrough :)

j-traxx said:
i play keys at sessions from time to time and get money and buy some stuff. God is keepin a brotha so far. times is rough right before the breakthrough :)

WORD. Amen to the stuggle...

j-traxx said:

I am a stay at home Father, my Fiancee work and holds me down.She is real supportive of the music. So i take care of the children and my studio is in my crib so i Make music allday. plus i do get a few paid sessions a week so that i can contribute. I paid for all this equipment I might as well get my monies worth, ya na mean.Plus my family loves my work so cant complain. ANd heres a tip - move to va i have a 2 bedroom house and not no shabby ish .rent is only 400$. who can beat that.This hood is good for a producer.va is a goldmind.

forums

m22 said:
Im a DJ in a strip club

That would be a cool job, but you don't even have to be a real DJ to do that.

Just burn a CD full of every Lil' Jon song that came out in the last 2 years, press play, and that's a night.

Damn, that's Whoo Kid right there... :(

Unfortunately, I'm an under-paid, over-worked slave to the system, also known as UPS.

What can brown do for me?

Pay me muhf*cka! :D

BILLBIGGZ said:

I am a stay at home Father, my Fiancee work and holds me down.She is real supportive of the music. So i take care of the children and my studio is in my crib so i Make music allday. plus i do get a few paid sessions a week so that i can contribute. I paid for all this equipment I might as well get my monies worth, ya na mean.Plus my family loves my work so cant complain. ANd heres a tip - move to va i have a 2 bedroom house and not no shabby ish .rent is only 400$. who can beat that.This hood is good for a producer.va is a goldmind.

forums

That's cool, man. :cheers:

That's my dream...

Stay at home with the kids, and make music all day.

But in my dream, I'd be gettin paid royalties... :D

Payroll Accountant III

I used to take money from people that didn't pay their child support, Federal taxes, State taxes, student loans, bills or whatever. I'd get the paperwork and gank 'em for the cheese they owe. I learned a lot so my credit score is 723. I pay my shyt on time.

Lesson to the younstaz... nobody knows you and nobody trusts you, your credit says whether or not your trustworthy. Learn about it or be assed out and be living in shytty apartments by the airport... You won't even be able to hear your beats and in between the plane landings, you hear two fat girl room-mates talking nasty on the phone to horny low-lifes that called that 900 number from the commercial.

NOW! I switched over to the business tax dept. I made 1.3 million dollars in payments for the company yesterday - without any errors... Ha Ha Ha... all of the bytches got mad! Asking the Director "How do you decide who gets these positions?!!!!" He flat out told them - "You have to have the aptitude for the job.... You Bytches! I'm not risking all of those Federal Tax penalties by putting some lame azz in the position!"

Bigg Rome keeps the cheese flowin', guaranteed to crack 50G's when merit time comes around in February.

They just don't know I'm an ignant azz, Hip Hop Lovin', Beat-Makin' Pimp at night...

I'm a Sous Chef for a hotel
chain. My gear has been paid off ....so now i don't have to worry about $hit. I do music for the love i'm not using it as my life line. If someone really wants me or my work they would have to do some heavy convincing because i love what i do at the moment.

Peace,

Kevlar

Homeland Security ~ Security Supervisor at a nuclear weapons facility.

Owner of I5 Entertainment/BeatBoxx Studios here in Seattle. Holla if you need custom sounds, beats, studio time, mixing, engineering, or managment. We can get you booked at any venue in Seattle. Holla if you're serious: Toll Free~ 1-877-932-4625 or leave a message on the cell (206)769-0841.:D

Last edited:
mpcpro said:
Homeland Security ~ Security Supervisor at a nuclear weapons facility.

Owner of I5 Entertainment/BeatBoxx Studios here in Seattle...

Damn we have a lot of high rollers in here! Where are my McDonalds employees! I am the only poor person with the internet?

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have all of that money, but then again, maybe once you get the money the hunger goes away...

BiggRome and Mpcpro and other high rollers; will you ever want to leave your proffesions with all of that money?

I_watch_stars said:

BiggRome and Mpcpro and other high rollers; will you ever want to leave your proffesions with all of that money?

I've often wondered would I leave my nice secure job for a "CHANCE" in the music business... the answer is always NO! I've watched people enter the music business - I'm never one to try anything first, I figure, If he makes it then I'll try it... - but no one I know has ever made it. I was actually in a group that was signed by JOE, They were singers and I was the emcee. They all left the Army to pursue their music careers and JOE had them set up pretty nicely - $800 a week, free room and board, studio time booked by him... I was going to come along IF they made it, they didn't make it. I watched and the lead singer sang JOE's shyt 10 times tighter than he did. He could hear any song and sing it better than the original artist. I put on a Charlie Wilson joint, he listened for a second and killed it! He sang at weddings and that kind of stuff. Gave up his nice secure life and ended up... out there.

I figure if any big label is interested, I'd have to produce via FED EX. I send the song files and they take it to the studio and have the engineer tweak it and they record it wherever they're at. I may be able to connect on weekends and Holidays but I'm not a risk taker. You won't get me out there making Tribe Called Quest money when I could've stayed at my job and have benefits, family time, and same money.

I saw K-Solo on MP3.COM before it shut down in a dirty white T-shirt and wrinkled jeans. He was all over Rap City and ran with EPMD back in the day.
Moe Dee took his rap money and went to college. Smart, because he knew eventually that old age would come and retirement and things like that sound nice... not a spot on the old school countdown while you drink wine with your homies...

I'm about security. I see a lot of people here start labels, release CD's and brag "My shyt is in stores" and I say "And???",

It's a risk and takes a lot of hustle and has no guarantees.... my job is not a risk, takes no hustle and has plenty of written guarantees...

I'll see you all at HUSTLEMANIA 2005 though, I'm challenging for the title.

I do get the urge sometimes though to be a full time producer when I see those Bentleys and stuff but that's about 1% of the producers.

You know there are only like 10 hip hop producers right...

Kanye
Dre
Lil Jon
Timbaland
Manny Fresh
Neptunes
Swizz Beats
Primo
Pete Rock

Well that's it...

Back