What sets a super-music producer apart from an average producer?

hugewill

Hi guys, I want share this discussion with all of you, and I want your input too. Here's it is...

Now days there many producer/ beat makers in the music game, but there are only few super-music producers (SMP) AKA Billboard/ Grammy music award hit makers. Therefore my question was what type of attributes that sets them (SMP) from average music producers? What do SMP do differently from an average producer?

From my point of view, Super Music producer are:
1- Very creative/ Innovative and continuously seek to develop and innovate their sounds.
2- Very persistent and patient with their work.
3- Take their production seriously and work professionally.
4- surrounded by creative and hardworking management/ song writers or at least like to be in contact with them.
5- know to play an instrument such as Piano, Organ, Keyboard, Guitar, Drums etc.
6- very good at tweaking sounds.
7- Open minded and very collaborative and willing to work with talented artists.
8- perfectionist and willing to take extra mile to stay on top of the game.

That's what I think so far. I leave you guys to add your opinion to this topic.

Have you seen a "Super Producer" in 2010?

They were everywhere in 2005. Storch, Timbo, Dre, Lil Jon, JD...They've all got recent material out, none of it did anything beyond "mere mortal producer status".

Some who were once called "superproducers" don't meet your 8 step program's criteria, while tons of guys with B.S. credit lists if any at all do.

Not knocking the discussion or trying to debate, just giving my 2 cents.

There is not much difference between what people call at super producer and a regular producer other than the records they've sold and whoever's writing the article or promotion piece. That type of thing usually comes from a member of the media or some d. rider somewhere. Not the person themselves.

Do you guys think yeaterdays hits hold longevity? Not so much with Timbo's, Dre's, Quincy's, Jimmi Jam Terry Lewises who have big catalogs.

But years ago Lil Jon was hailed as a "superproducer". Heatmakers, Runners and Cool n Dre have been called the same because of the time they came up in, I've never heard Justis League given the title, and they're just as relevant now as these guys once were. What about the Chink Santanas, Minnesotas, Buckwilds who had their runs before the term was used to label guys and are now forgotten without ever getting the chance to hold it. Even Erick Sermon! Is that title currently deserving of him?

Just discussing, not debating.

Polow Da Don was the last super producer. But you can generally tell a super producer from the amount of hits he has out at one time. Think Kanye West before College Dropout for like a year he produced for everyone.

Do you guys think yeaterdays hits hold longevity? Not so much with Timbo's, Dre's, Quincy's, Jimmi Jam Terry Lewises who have big catalogs.

But years ago Lil Jon was hailed as a "superproducer". Heatmakers, Runners and Cool n Dre have been called the same because of the time they came up in, I've never heard Justis League given the title, and they're just as relevant now as these guys once were. What about the Chink Santanas, Minnesotas, Buckwilds who had their runs before the term was used to label guys and are now forgotten without ever getting the chance to hold it. Even Erick Sermon! Is that title currently deserving of him?

Just discussing, not debating.
I think part of being a super producer is being part celebrity and having that rock star larger than life image. Nowadays its hard for a lot of celebrities to hold that image especially in hip hop

Hi guys, I want share this discussion with all of you, and I want your input too. Here's it is...

Now days there many producer/ beat makers in the music game, but there are only few super-music producers (SMP) AKA Billboard/ Grammy music award hit makers. Therefore my question was what type of attributes that sets them (SMP) from average music producers? What do SMP do differently from an average producer?

From my point of view, Super Music producer are:
1- Very creative/ Innovative and continuously seek to develop and innovate their sounds.
2- Very persistent and patient with their work.
3- Take their production seriously and work professionally.
4- surrounded by creative and hardworking management/ song writers or at least like to be in contact with them.
5- know to play an instrument such as Piano, Organ, Keyboard, Guitar, Drums etc.
6- very good at tweaking sounds.
7- Open minded and very collaborative and willing to work with talented artists.
8- perfectionist and willing to take extra mile to stay on top of the game.

That's what I think so far. I leave you guys to add your opinion to this topic.

dude alot of people ON HERE have all 8 of that criteria and I'm sure there are plenty of super producers who dont exactly fit into #5. I'm guessing some may not fit into #6. And some may not fit into #7.

I dont know what makes a superproducer.... I guess to me it would be somebody with a big enough name to get you to listen based off the producer alone....... You say 50 cent and in house g-unit producers and you just pass the link by.... but if you say 50 Cent produced by Kanye West and all of a sudden you take a listen...

There is no such thing as a "super producer". It's a term coined by the music industry elite.

In theory, a string of hit records will equate to more exposure and demand. Anyone who capitalizes and prolongs the combination is deemed a "super producer".

Silly stuff.

smh...there's no such thing as a "super producer" thats a myth like "greatest rapper alive" at the end of the day you either have skill and dedication or you dont....period. sh*t soulja boy is labeled a "super producer"...soulja boy..............soulja boy???

just luck and timing. i dont see anythign MAJORLY special about super producer and journeyman producer.

all honesty i think the more talented are the journeyman producers who sell and make a living and have a fan base but havnt hit mainstream. lewis parker, kev brown, beat butcha etc

mark ronson. good dj pretty poor hiphop producer....came back making motown sound songs and being branded superproducer...it's just a name that tags to make journalists feel like they are talking to somone important. too add to what logic7 said.

also it's such a bait thing to put "super" infront of your job description.

superproducer solar isnt a superproducer

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

There is no such thing as a "super producer". It's a term coined by the music industry elite.

In theory, a string of hit records will equate to more exposure and demand. Anyone who capitalizes and prolongs the combination is deemed a "super producer".

Silly stuff.
exactly...you dont get super artists or supersingers.

Silly stuff.

Exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what makes a superproducer.... I guess to me it would be somebody with a big enough name to get you to listen based off the producer alone....... You say 50 cent and in house g-unit producers and you just pass the link by.... but if you say 50 Cent produced by Kanye West and all of a sudden you take a listen...

I think you nailed it...I agree

Back