UK Hip Hip?

M

Marvsta

Whas apnin geeza's and geezette's case you don't know me my names Marvsta a true east londoner.I was born and bred in Bethnal Green (where the Krays lived)......(oh the Krays were notorious east end gangsta's). Anyway i'd like to know what the americans think of uk hip hip and uk urban music in general. Have you even heard any? What do you think of the production quality and the quality of the lyricists. Do you think that it is ready to challenge you lot across the big pond. Cause personally although it has faultered in the past i warn y'all its about to blow.

haha I was in East London yesterday, bussin up and down Green Street looking for an Indian suit!

Well, from a uk perspective I think the lyricism side is tight but the flows will be hard to get used to cause of the accent. I know guys around here that are sick with their writing and freestyling but they rap in an american accent, which does sound good but isnt exactly the best way to go about it. Production is a bit hit or miss from what I've heard. It's either some really grimey raw hip hop beat, or its a standard US club banger bullsh*t beat.

Yeah i agree the british accent seems to spoil the flow even if it is tight. The production side is so so alot of the time the are no english Dr Dre or neptunes yet. But that is a good thing my friend cause it will be producer like us that will help pioneer the uk sound when it blows. Oh and don't get it twisted it will blow very soon too. Obviously our sound will have to bear some resemblence to the usa's sound how else would you make your money.But we're lucky obviously there are a hell of a lot of producers in the uk. But unlike you or myself they don't live in London. It's a melting pot of ideas styles and cultures which can only ever affect a producer in a good way. We don't just get 50 down here we get every kind of music made more mainstream thus more inspiration and more people to get your music out there and a wider sellection of equipment.

I like a lot of the good UK Hip Hop...the accent doesn't wreck the flow, if you look at some like Klashnekoff or Jehst, you can't say they aren't able to flow over a beat.

I sort of sometimes prefer the UK accent, its more raw. I don't like it when MCs rap in an American accent. You should rep where you're from, not try to be an American.

The production is good for some groups, I really feel the stuff that Phi Life Cypher do.

What's truely British is garage whether you like it or not. That's our urban scene with our slang and beats.

StopRushing said:
haha I was in East London yesterday, bussin up and down Green Street looking for an Indian suit!

Are you indian btw?

Yall need better distribution channels to really be heard in the states. Unless we specifically look for an artist from the UK, we wont hear about em through advertising or videos. Foreign hip hop is not even on the same shelves as American Hip Hop. The only foreign cat I've ever seen on regular video rotation is Dizzie Rascal. I even saw him on an cable talk show called "Cold Pizza". You need better promotion in the states.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true, but a lot UK rappers aren't even known by most people unless you're down with the scene. Dizzee is probably the most ell known. They need to make it big here first and then go to the states.

Yep I'm Indian. So many Indian's round here are so idiotic when it comes to music. Green Street/Southall/Ealing Road - they are all musical hellholes. Full of idiots playing the same ol crap full volume in ridiculous looking cars. They've all got patterns and lines and sh*t shaved into their heads and faces, and walk as if they've got about 6 apples shoved up their anus. The whole attitude problem and trying-to-be-black thing really gets to me and gives a bad name to those of us who don't need to shy away from our own culture.

Referring back to the musical hellhole, the initial combining of Punjabi music with Hip Hop and Garage was some amazing revolutionary sh*t that changed everything. Now, its like anybody thinks they can make something good by throwing a f*cking dhol over a hip hop beat, ruining both in the process. I only wish Panjabi MC didnt release his song just so that people wouldnt be jumping on bandwagons and ruining a very good style.

And back to the thread topic, Klashnekoff has a sick flow, but some guys just sound so ridiculous. Sh*t that really makes me cringe and almost feel embarassed to listen to it - think Pauline Fowler rapping. Dizzie is cool and original but he's quite different from a lot of UK hip hop.

Last edited:
Dizzy Rascal is from my ends i aint gonna go on like i know him but he is. Anyway he started out doing garage which like someone said before seems to be britains urban music of choice. The reason uk hip hop doesn't get the recognition it deserves is because of britain reserved attitude. Its alright to listen to gangsta rap from abroad we just don't want it coming from hear. Another thing is that us hip hop is alot more established americans haven't really opened their eyes to the untapped talent over here.

Uk hiphop will def blow, and thats when all those dum A&R's will jump on the band wagon.

One thing we must understand is that US has a market.>Size of population(blacks, hispanics etc)

The Uk doesn't have as many potential customers of our music to go platinum.
if ur thinkin what does this mean

This means that the vast majority of the Uk population that made westlife, spice girls etc top of the charts, will not buy Uk hip hop. Not unless if it it watered down ie. Big Brovas.

Solution=We get behind our own, build our own industry to the point where we are making so much noise that money is invested.

StopRushing said:
Yep I'm Indian. So many Indian's round here are so idiotic when it comes to music. Green Street/Southall/Ealing Road - they are all musical hellholes. Full of idiots playing the same ol crap full volume in ridiculous looking cars. They've all got patterns and lines and sh*t shaved into their heads and faces, and walk as if they've got about 6 apples shoved up their anus. The whole attitude problem and trying-to-be-black thing really gets to me and gives a bad name to those of us who don't need to shy away from our own culture.

Referring back to the musical hellhole, the initial combining of Punjabi music with Hip Hop and Garage was some amazing revolutionary sh*t that changed everything. Now, its like anybody thinks they can make something good by throwing a f*cking dhol over a hip hop beat, ruining both in the process. I only wish Panjabi MC didnt release his song just so that people wouldnt be jumping on bandwagons and ruining a very good style.

And back to the thread topic, Klashnekoff has a sick flow, but some guys just sound so ridiculous. Sh*t that really makes me cringe and almost feel embarassed to listen to it - think Pauline Fowler rapping. Dizzie is cool and original but he's quite different from a lot of UK hip hop.

Heh, Man - I'm Indian - sikh to be exact.

I was born in Heston, - I make trips to Southall regularly to the gurdwara. Man - I'm glad I got out when I did.

haha man - I feel you with the dhol. I got a dhol and tabla here and been rinsing the sounds for time and now its all the rage. You only gotta listen to B4u or Zee Music to see how many asians are jumping the bandwagon. Panjabi MC has it locked down before he released Mundian to bach ke. I remember meeting him at Mega Mela a few years back. At the time - his whole style was so different. People were rocking out to him. Hes rolling in it now tho and rightly so. Shame it took all the gordha so long to realise we can make music aswell. ****s me off when people rip it outa the vocals.

The problem I have - is that the whole indian society will always wanna hate on someone doing good. Always gotta be dragged down. The amount of times I get **** for producing for people in Queens is too many to count.

Anyway - rant over. I really don't feel UK hip-hop in all honesty. I spose it has to do with that all my production is for US peeps and thats how I prefer it. There aren't enough UK peeps to really stand out. Granted - the rappers who are out there - jehst etc - are real talented. But if I had to choose to work with a mobb deep sound alike with **** lyrics - or a jehst lyric mastermind - I choose the first.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Marvsta said:
Dizzy Rascal is from my ends i aint gonna go on like i know him but he is. Anyway he started out doing garage which like someone said before seems to be britains urban music of choice.

I have to admit that East London is doing big thing..all the sounds are coming out of there, grime and eskie etc. The East is setting trends for the rest of London. For example, North West heads like Slaughter Kids are taking on that style that came out the East first.

Originally posted by StopRushing- Full of idiots playing the same ol crap full volume in ridiculous looking cars. They've all got patterns and lines and sh*t shaved into their heads and faces, and walk as if they've got about 6 apples shoved up their anus. The whole attitude problem and trying-to-be-black thing really gets to me and gives a bad name to those of us who don't need to shy away from our own culture.

I get what you mean on that. It gives the rest of us a bad reputation. I don't really listen to much Bhangra or the other Asian Mc's or singers. I don't feel any of it. Even DJ Tigerstyle who won the DMC, he seems to be getting caught up with this 'typical Asian music scene'. I wish a good MC/DJ/producer just came out and said '**** Y'all, you're stuff is bollocks, you're rhyming bollocks, you're playing bollocks and you're making bollocks'

It's great to see others feeling the same way. It seems like everyone is just hypnotized into thinking that any old thing that's got a hip hop beat and punjabi vocals is hot. I do have to give props where they are due. Dr. Zeus - Kangna bored me at first but its grown on me and I love it now, it's almost as good as the remix I did ;).

And I understand about the Indian community hating on successful people but that could be something that's engrained in our culture as a lot of people STILL take the caste system seriously, and turn their noses up at certain people etc.

Ninja said:
I wish a good MC/DJ/producer just came out and said '**** Y'all, you're stuff is bollocks, you're rhyming bollocks, you're playing bollocks and you're making bollocks'
haha, it would be amazing if someone did that!! A lot of the lyrics these guys come out with are just ridiculous! Let's take this song Gora Gora Rang for example. The melody is jacked from MJ Cole - Crazy Love but re-done sooo badly with a cheap sounding synth. And the little rap intro....

"Hey baby check my flow
This is the way we roll
Shake your body to the flow real slow
That's the way I like it you know"

All said by a homo sounding Indian guy faking an American accent. F*cking retarded idiotic waste of sound. If someone was to diss them they would probably just go and get another haircut and pose or something. The horrible thing is that every Asian bimbo just laps it all up. Honestly, a lot of these guys have so much difficulty stringing sentences together that I just gotta cut the conversation off before I cut my own nostrils off.

StopRushing said:
haha, it would be amazing if someone did that!! A lot of the lyrics these guys come out with are just ridiculous!

If I ever get any where either with DJ'ing or making beats that's one of the first things I'd do. Not because I'm hating as a result of their success but cause they're making bull**** and people are brain washed into thinking this is good. I would love to see the reaction of the people if someone just got on the mic at a party and said 'F*ck Mets and Trix, F*ck RDB and Rishi Rich.'

Hahaha Metz and Trix!! What a pair of losers! RDB just re-hash classic 2step garage beats and Rishi Rich was alright back in the 2kool days and some of his current sh*t is ok too.

And what is with this vocoder effect on EVERY song?!?!?!? F*ckin hell!!!

His beats all sound similar not much variation.

I've noticed there's not many asians truely down with Hip Hop. They're all about 2Pac and B.I.G, like they're the only two rappers alive.

Btw to any one else...when I say Asian I mean Indian not Far East Asian.

Anyways back to UK Hip Hop...

Itch Fm is the only station that represent UK to the fullest.

haha - ah yes - the infamous RDB. Whats the name of that guy that emcees for em?

Rydem Ryder? Serious - what a joke.. Granted - he can go fast (never heard him live) - but hes still wack.

I know what your saying about making a stand. Maybe on an interlude for CCR's next album I'll give em an essay about people like RDB etc.

Ninja / Stop Rushing - PM me your AIM/MSN's.

Cheers,
Michael

Back