Stupid producer confessions

Sidechaining prevents the clashing of frequencies...

Just think about it... when you add a compressor and start to adjust it... you normally see whatever sound you're compressing get "Squashed" whenever it goes above a certain level... sidechaining just lets another sound such as a Kick do the squashing of the sound...

Like if you have a bassline playing along with a kick... both would play at the volume you set them at... but if you sidechained the bassline... when the kick hits... the level of the bassline would drop to allow the kick to come through... depending on the amount of compression, you can get a subtle effect where the bassline drops out a little to let the kick through... or you could use a lot of of compression and get that pumping effect that trance / house music has...

I know how to do it because it's really easy... but I never do it. It'll make your basslines and kicks sound a lot better though. You can sidechain anything though.

I appreciate the feedback. I need to learn how to do this in Reason/Record, Pro-Tools and Logic ASAP.

i didn't know what tempo was, so i did all my songs on the 120 bpm setting with no metronome by guessing amounts of time for beats. once i found out what tempo was i was hella mad cause of all the time i wasted

I didn't know how to use a grid till the beginnin of this year so I programmed all my songs by eye and ear -_______-..... When I first started, I would make instrumentals that where dmn near 5 mins long and were just loops. Until this year, I didn't have a concept of mixing and mastering, thought they were related to the easter bunny and santa and would constantly get upset about people not kcufin with me cus my songs were muddy cus I thought I had the joints. Still don't know how the hell to find out what key a song is in. My worst #Fail move is probably that I learned how to play the piano WELL years ago but gave up and stopped practicing and now I play everything by ear. Lol, I can go on all day, I've had to bump my head against many walls MANY times to find doors and light switches

lol tempo was definitely one of the things I had issues with when I first started. My beats were terribly off-beat and had no rhythm to them. When I actually found out about tempo I finally started progressing as a beatmaker.

i use to turn my mic on... get two books and slap them together real hard infront of the mics...... add bass to it and use it as a kick with a 808..
neeeevvvvvver quiet turned out right.....

i didnt use reason til reason4 becuz it had the racks and i was scared of em lol

Last edited:
i use to turn my mic on... get two books and slap them together real hard infront of the mics...... add bass to it and use it as a kick with a 808..
neeeevvvvvver quiet turned out right.....

i didnt use reason til reason4 becuz it had the racks and i was scared of em lol

LMAO ... Damn... That shit is crazy... But it might be innovative if mixed right... Who knows...

Back