Stealing other producers sampling ideas: Is it stealing?

gescajadillo

Say if you know a sample that an unknown producer has used and you intentionally used the sample by chopping the sample the same way, same time/pitch, just adding your own drums to it. Is it really considered stealing? I think I can make alot of material that way to be honest with you.

Steal it, fuk it right? all the big wigs be stealin shit, i say go for it.. make it even better..
After i heard that first of the month remake, I have no more hope for this shit. I'l do the same thing if i have a bright idea, take it and run with it........ I guess

Pete Rock claimed that Diddy stole the idea for the Juice beat from him...

I'm actually making a remix that uses a sample in the exact same way as a previously released song... The loop just fits the acapella so well I don't have the heart to change it. But I can't honestly say that it's right...

Nope...in fact if they play your beat for you they're encouraging it IMO. I actually sample 25% of the time, but I never send them out to artists I don't know simply for that reason.

*shrug* Shooting myself in the f00t(see what I did there) but I don't think I could live with making a dope beat, having it jacked, and having absolutely no f00t(see what I did there) to stand on in proving I made it first.

"Biting" maybe in the sampling cultural sense, but not really. I wouldn't do that though, I have too much respect for the culture.

No, it just sort of lame and uncreative but do as you wish my friend. He doesn't "own" the sample.

This happened to me once in college when MySpace was hot.

Last edited:
Eh, its kindaaa lame but **** it. If its flipped the same way, really lame imo. Idc tho, whats the sample in that dear anne beat?? I wanna merk that, they both did it too slow to me.
I'd feel cooler if i found it first tho lol

No its not stealing a product, but its stealing an unlicensed idea, its bad moral, but not illigal.

Yep. In my eyes its a sucker move. I have come across a good sample, laid out drums for it, chopped the sample etc then found out someone else has used it in a very similar way. Off to the recycle bin.

Ain't nothin new under the sun. If you worried about using a sample that someone already used before, jus stop sampling right now, cus between 2Pac and J Dilla 90% of everything has been sampled already lols. But seriously, nothing is completely original. Its coo to use a sample that someone used before but MAKE IT YOU! Do somethin' different and interesting! Add something to the track that the original cats that flipped it would have never though of! Music should be an outlet for creativity and free thought, why limit the tools you have to play with? That jus kills the fun

Last edited:
not as long as you don't create the same beat with the sample. I mean two different people could sample something the same way but depending on what they add to the instrumental they could get totally different results

exactly.. Do you think puff daddy gave a 2d thought about stealing the beats AND the hooks?
his whole carrer jumped off by sampling people who sampled, and stealing there complete wordplay and EVERYTHING.... Dont.push.Me..Cause.Im.Close.To.The.. EDGE..

Back