Ryan Leslie Responds to $1MM Verdict at LIU Homecoming Concert

R Les is so underrated.

I don't think he's underrated.. I think some people may confuse being 'underrated' & being "independent." He's respected but he just doesn't have the major record label machine behind him like artist who are much less talented than him.. But I think going the independent route is worth it and will pay off in the long run

You don't think he's underrated?? There shouldn't be any confusion, underrated is exactly that. There's a lot of overrated independent artist lol. Your rate shouldn't have anything to do with being independent or signed. But then there's artist like Tech N9ne that proves being a successful independent artist is possible. But at the same time walk up to anyone on the street and ask them if they heard of Ryan Leslie, and then ask that same person if they heard of soulja boy.

Ryan Leslie is an amazing musician, been in the game for years, and wrote some hot songs for top artist. He's the bread and butter behind Cassie when she was hot. He's always had the major labels behind him until 2010 when he left Universal. And the only reason he left was because they wanted to change a 4 album deal into a 360 deal. But for almost 10 years he had major labels at the palm of his hands. He has a nice following but no where near what I feel it could would should be. With his talent he should be killing the game.

You don't think he's underrated?? There shouldn't be any confusion, underrated is exactly that. There's a lot of overrated independent artist lol. Your rate shouldn't have anything to do with being independent or signed. But then there's artist like Tech N9ne that proves being a successful independent artist is possible. But at the same time walk up to anyone on the street and ask them if they heard of Ryan Leslie, and then ask that same person if they heard of soulja boy.

Ryan Leslie is an amazing musician, been in the game for years, and wrote some hot songs for top artist. He's the bread and butter behind Cassie when she was hot. He's always had the major labels behind him until 2010 when he left Universal. And the only reason he left was because they wanted to change a 4 album deal into a 360 deal. But for almost 10 years he had major labels at the palm of his hands. He has a nice following but no where near what I feel it could would should be. With his talent he should be killing the game.

No no no, I think there's a little bit of confusion. I think you mean that maybe his music is under'exposed'.. I'm pretty sure waaayyy more people outside the U.S. (Internationally) are familiar with RLes. Everyone knows he's a beast. No one that knows of him under'rates' him...

He's an amazing artist and has earned his fan-base and everything that comes along with being a successful independent artist, such as "creative freedom."

Last edited:
I find him corny, but that's just me... As a producer, he has some genius moments and some moments when I find his sound selection equally as questionnable.. but hey, who am I...

He's better of this way. In the end (if not already) he'll make more money than artists signed to major labels.

Yea, you're probably right. People in other countries love music period. Some barely even know what's being said and still love it. And it's no doubt that as an independent artist he's definitely making more money
than he would as a signed artist, not to mention he doesn't have to buy beats lol.

Plus i salute any independent artist that have the juice to offer 1mil for something priceless. If i had it i doubt i'd offer it unless i had a lot more to back it up lol. so there must be a lot more mills in his account to make an offer of that caliber, which proves he's not as underrated as one may think. I just want to see him in the top 10, and see his video on 106.
He's one of those guys that use to give me hope of something as a producer.

@Iambase... I agree sometimes it's a hit and miss. i don't listen nearly as much as i use too, and this new rap thing is not my cup of tea. But in the early days i was all ears looking forward to the next video

No no no, I think there's a little bit of confusion. I think you mean that maybe his music is under'exposed'.. I'm pretty sure waaayyy more people outside the U.S. (Internationally) are familiar with RLes. Everyone knows he's a beast. No one that knows of him under'rates' him...

He's an amazing artist and has earned his fan-base and everything that comes along with being a successful independent artist, such as "creative freedom."

He's better of this way. In the end (if not already) he'll make more money than artists signed to major labels.

I'm from an era where that was true, but let's be real...how many copies of "Les is More" were sold? How is his touring schedule looking? That dude would take a B.S. deal if it was thrown on the table right now I'm sure.

He's spent his entire career showing the traits of a guy who is smart...but convinces himself that his IQ gives an advantage. He's sold us on lies since he'd fill a studio with a hundred real instruments and make beat making vids that looked great...even though the final beat was some shyt that coulda been made with Reason or Logic stock sounds. That's not saying he's a bad producer...that's just saying he doesn't "stick out" more than anyone else. Lex Luger came onto the scene with a more distinguished sound from clicking a mouse in FL Studio. Guys like B.M. Cox and Red One run circles around him without ever moving from in front of a Mac running Logic. Meanwhile he's jumping from drums to grand piano to live horns...to give us stuff that would get critiqued on this site hard from an unknown user.

Did you guys see the cinematography in the vid where he offered the reward for the stolen laptop(notice lil b.S. like him naming the type car he was drivin in to let us know he's a boss, no hate, anyone can go to germany and rent a mercedes, that's like renting a mustang here)? Did you see his respnse to the lawsuit vid in this thread? This dude has strategic marketing, but no personality or star power to market. I've said that since he first started. He'd make a great Publicist or PR, but he's so stuck on being a star he can't find his lane.

Last edited:
^^^No hate, but without Harvard on his resume he's just another multi-instrumentalist not even as good a Boonie Mayfield in my book.

my 2 cents.

^^^I instantly thought of boondock while making that post, no B.S. Just didn't wanna make it seem like I was trying to promote him at R. les's expense.

he start crying and burning the paper and shit, talkin bout Les is MORE, GO COP DAT! thats bull shit, he IS corny and most people could Care Les <-- lol i did it again lol 4rill though it all seems fake as fuk, but that minus a milli in the bank is pretty real though, he shoulda just STFU and kept the reward at 10 g'z.. maybee raise it to 20, but thats pushin' it. This is all one big mis-hap played wrong and out of hand. He knew damn well he couldent afford a milli either way. he might HAVE a mill but he cant afford to lose one like that, ass bettin ass MF'er probly dont even have enough music stems on the laptop to make a mill. WOW I sound like a hater, but its true though so Fuggit!!

YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULDA PLUGGED IT IN AND CHECKED IF THE SHIT WAS THERE, oh well im done. he was wrong out of stupidity.

Back