THE RAPE OVER...what would YOU do??

JiggSaw said:
That foot in the door is what you need. Then once the album is a success... they will come back to you and you can set "your" terms.

Not if his foot is caught in a revolving door. What if word gets around Universal or whatever that Troup is the go-to guy for getting free tracks?

If he lets them get away with this shyt, I'll BET that they'll try to make him sign some goobley-goblley bullshyt contract that renders his services for little to no money for the next 3-4 years.

So basically even if Jada were to step up like "Yo u produced such and such for whoever so can u give me a banger"....

Troup wouldn't be able to because he's already locked into a contract with the label trying to push this current project. This sounds like slave labor...like umm...paying some very fukked up dues.

Last edited:
OsamaPigLatin said:

I know what YOU'd better do.

1. Either start paying those dues :)

Or

2. Look at how stupid the options are and calmly walk away...even if they manage to steal your shyt which they will. I say this because being blacklisted doesn't sound like something a smart guy like yourself worked so hard for. You could fight all u want, but unless there's another realistic option then I'd say you're screwed.

LOL, I remember that debate...

Anyway, I aint about to say something that everyone else hasn't already said.

Nobody in here except you, Troup, has all of the info. So we can't really tell you what to do. How someone got you into a studio to produce half an album for NO FINANCIAL COMPENSATION is beyond me...I know they didn't tell you beforehand, you're too smart for that.

All we know about you is:

1. You aint struggling financially
2. You got some producing talent
3. You have a big decision to make that involves some form of paying dues.

If you walk, you pay dues by waiting longer for your break (and payday). If you stay, you get RAPED OVER, brutally (but you get mainstream exposure).

If I were you, I would ask, what would your favorite producer do? Then I would ask, what would Jesus do?

Peace

j.troup said:
Early estimates from industry execs is that the project is gonna do between 4-6 million units.

/B]

Really? Be sure to let us know when the album drops. I have always wondered how accurate (or not) these record execs are.

NVM...
It's just... his story seems kinda... uhhh....

who would invest such little money in a project that's supposed to sell 4 million units?

why are they even pulling this shyt when you still have the master recordings?

Why did u even submit them without being paid or having a contract expressing payment for services?

TechnikaL said:

If I were you, I would ask, what would your favorite producer do? Then I would ask, what would Jesus do?

Peace

You're not dealing with moral people here, so what Jesus would do is of no concern. You have to ask, "What would Satan do?", because you are dealing with the antichrist right now.

I dont know man what kind of deal did you sign? The fact that they wont pay you nothing is ridiculous. You need some upfront money a couple grand at least.

I dont want to tell you to walk away from something you worked so hard for and you probably shouldn't but you can't be working for free. There's no gurantee this album will move as many units as they say it will.

I dont know when you post more info I think we could judge the situation more accurately.

Peace

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

You're not dealing with moral people here, so what Jesus would do is of no concern. You have to ask, "What would Satan do?", because you are dealing with the antichrist right now.

LOL!!

I've never heard of any deal like that ever, and I have worked with Universal.
What dep't are you working with at Universal? Your story doesn't sound accurate at all.

1.you don't wanna talk to the middle man
2.NEGOTIATE with the person in charge
3.how do they plan on selling 4 to 6 million copies without paying the producer.
4.they don't give a damn about you or your tracks. If they did they wouldn't have a problem paying you. Maybe not exactly what you want but you gotta get something.
5.if they plan on selling between 4 and 6 million copies they would rather pay for good production than settle for less risking there 6 million sales
6.you already paid enough dues to no how to get paid so it's time to get paid
7.get YOUR money man

table talk coming up people. that's when the facts get clearer and the wallet fattens up a bit on the money prospects.

Not to start any shyt because I do have a 12:30 A.M. Chick Who Gets Hard Dyck And Bubblegum call coming, but....

Whatever happens Troup just handle your biz...by any means necessary. But please, please...don't come back with that "I told ya I've got this music biz on lock cause I'm re-writing the rules" bullshyt. Situations change and it's probably best to just come back with words of wisdom...not some arrogant "me me me" diatribe.

I'm saying this because that would be MAD GHEY. I know "certain heads" in here already think you're either bullshytting about the deal period, or you're just trying to make things seem appalling now so that you can pop back with one of those "look at all the haters talking" type of deals.

If this shyt is really happening to you then this is no laughing matter. Been there...done that. I expect to go through it again. Shyt like this can tear apart dreams and dissolve confidence like acid on styrofoam. No matter what there ARE still other cats struggling to get in this shyt so how about not throwing your soon to be success in their faces? Yeah...that might be a good idea.

Good luck...see you at a Flex party.

Last edited:
Man...alot of responses. The range of responses i got were expected though. Wanna say a few things first...

1) I wouldn't ever throw any success that I have in the faces of anyone. Even the haters. Yeah the temptation would be there to send out a big F*CK YOU to those who doubt, but I try to take the high road, and thank them for the negativity, cuz i turned it into motivation. I'm just trying to be an example of a DIFFERENT WAY to do things, that will hopefully yield better results than the stat-quo.

2) All of the work that I've done from them thus far is DEMO WORK. No masters involved. Basically they hear a track on SC they like, I let them DL it, and they lace it.

3) No contracts have been signed yet. The artists are holding thier contract as we speak. Their signing is on 1/3. I should be getting my paperwork for production during that week. The entire album has to be re-recorded, multi-track's submitted for mastering, etc, by like end of Jan, for a late feb/early march release.

Now...with that said. The chain of command looks like this...

Universal --> Parent Co. --> Child Co.

My production contracts will be with Parent Co.

Now.

Budget is limited because Universal this group is really unproven...meaning not having moved ANY major units (only like a few K). So Universal ain't gon come up off of no huge money and risk so much on an unproven talent. So that's why the budget is basically Null.

Again...everything i'm hearing are from the execs/artists at Child Co. since the artists are co-owners of Child Co, they have to sign directly to Parent Co, thus my dealings with them.

From what I can gather, the Artists/Execs aren't really that well versed in publishing, etc, as they are rookies like myself.

Again. I will be hearing from CEO of Parent Co. in about a week. Then i will sit down and get the real deal. It may end up that NO MONEY means no advance, and no percentage royalty off sales, but I still get publishing. So who knows.

But the story is def real. I've been straight up with FP on everything, and I have no reason to lie. I'm not one to gloat, so it's not for that reason either. I just wanted some serious opinions from people who have been where I am now, or who are possibly going to be there at some point in time.

Yo troup, how did they come up with those calculations?

i mean seriously, even if it would sell half they're saying it would be a 2-3 times platinum? hell, even Jada's album hasn't sold that much and he had a streetbuzz like crazy. And to get released worldwide, you need some hella lot of promoting.

is it an "1 album"- deal for you? i mean, if you sign up, are you able to get out if it ain't working at all?
And how have they promised to promote the album? Get some straight facts how much they're gonna be promotin it throught music videos, advertisements and all that.

If you sign, and it falls down, hell it's just a new experience, some workhours and beats gone....but at least you get some real trackrecord, which can lead into something quite bigger.

Back