R&B Sounds The Same!

S

S_p101

I know most of rap is playing,"follow the leader". Is it me or is R&B sounding the same way? What is music coming too?

I remember artists having their own sound.. But now it sounds like repeats or remixes of the older classic songs.. If Diana Ross or Smokey Robinson made a song first, why do a remix of a perfect song? BE ORIGINAL DAMN!!!!

everyone is scared to be diff nowdayz......hip-hop is taking awhile to evolve into some real interesting like it was in the day

Music has become a business.. Azzfukya business! I guess it's a, "be careful what you wish for case".. Now kids wanta grow up to be rappers and R&B singers before anything.. I thought this was beautiful at first, but now it seems like a curse!

I've been saying it for a minute. They all sound alike in almost everyway. "Baby I'm sorry"..."Baby I cheated"..."Baby I can't be nothing without you"..."Baby let's make love"..."Baby your fly/I'm fly"...****in' shot me already.

I'm not gonna front, there are some exceptions to the mix. Ne-Yo...Trey Songz...Alicia Keys...Usher (8601 Usher)...Keyshia Cole. I just hate the fact that RNB has staked a claim in the hip-hop realm. They use us to get crossover appeal with the RNB stations and Rap stations. Sad...really.

Musically, and production wise I think R&B is leagues ahead of hiphop. But as far as lyrics go, R&B can go toe to toe with any garbage verse written by DFB. Really, it all sounds the same.

Usual Concepts for R&B

Male Concepts:
1. Baby Im sorry, beg for forgiveness, lick the ground she walks on, give her every penny u make, blah blah blah.

Female:
I dont need him any more, Im gonna bang any dude at the club, Im good at banging, Im great at these elements of banging...

At least this is true for commercial R&B on the radio. Im not talking Anita Baker here.

BIGMOZ said:
Usual Concepts for R&B

Male Concepts:
1. Baby Im sorry, beg for forgiveness, lick the ground she walks on, give her every penny u make, blah blah blah.

Female:
I dont need him any more, Im gonna bang any dude at the club, Im good at banging, Im great at these elements of banging...

At least this is true for commercial R&B on the radio. Im not talking Anita Baker here.
:sing:.....I totally agree:cheers:

Dot_Robinson said:
I've been saying it for a minute. They all sound alike in almost everyway. "Baby I'm sorry"..."Baby I cheated"..."Baby I can't be nothing without you"..."Baby let's make love"..."Baby your fly/I'm fly"...****in' shot me already.

:cheers:

I only look forward to artists sounding different now besides providing good music..

GOOD MUSIC INCLUDES BEING ORIGINAL!!!!

Okay, I know it's getting old but here it is again....

Today's R&B = Raps And Bytches

I think R&B went downhill after R. Kelly decided to become the 40 year old thug, and most artists decided to abandon the Bad Boy sound for more pop-ish S.O.S bullshyt. I hated Jamie Foxx's album though...he didn't bring shyt new to the table in my opnion Same 'ol "He aint' treatin' u right" tracks....and women ate that shyt up. Things could have been worse....Ne-Yo is living proof of that.

Every now and then you get a standout track though.

1. Me Myself And I
2. Cater 2 You
3. Ciara's "Oh"...still a hip hop track
4. Chis Brown - "Yo"
5. Amerie - Why Don't We Fall In Love - 100% Bad Boy Sound
6. A. Keys - You Don't Know My Name

chris brown is gonna be a motherc*ker in a while, props to him.

The marriage between Hip Hop and R&B has been a real dysfunctional one. I think it's great when people put outside influences into hip hop like soulful r&b sounding rap songs or the country rap sound on Bubba Sparxxx's Deliverance but when rap things creep into R&B it's never good.

I can't stand it when people make R&B songs from samples, it just seems cheap and lazy. The problem is that people are taking a more complex music and making it follow the rules of much simpler music. It's like making a 3 chord symphony all with guitars. I'm also tired of all these rappers hopping on the songs or on the remix. I just want to hear R&B, it's worse when the rapper doesn't even rap about what the song is about like Jeezy on "Say I" (That song sucked anyway but that was the only example I could come up with, sorry).

Another thing that pisses me off about "R&B" is that none of the singers can sing. I think the only popular singer who can go up against any old soul singer is Christina Aguilera, and she's not even R&B. Maybe Alicia Keys but I don't like her songs cause they're like 2 chords.

I thought Ne-Yo was gonna be like the second coming of Marvin Gaye, boy, I should have realized that when a singers gimmick is that he writes his own lyrics then you're in trouble. All the packaging is constantly trying to remind you that Ne-Yo writes his lyrics, big f*cking deal, am I wrong? I was happy that he sings real songs with chords and melodies but I don't think his songs are that good, pluss some of them are mad corny, "when you're mad" is like the sh*ttier version of Michael's "Girlfriend". Girlfriend had the McCartneyesque cornyness but its a great song and funky.

I just can't wait for the next Faith Evans album, The First Lady was awesome, I think that's the only recent R&B album I've ever liked. I find most R&B people are either Hip Hop R&B or they are just trying to be one of their influences like John Legend & Stevie Wonder or every other bohemian f*cker and Donny Hathaway. I'd rather listen to the original than that rehash neo-soul trash.

yo.. as for remixes with rappers...Usher and Jadakiss on Throwback was nice..but never heard

Sirjaenus said:
I can't stand it when people make R&B songs from samples, it just seems cheap and lazy.

Then I don't think you'll like Letoya's new ablum. Her ablum is 95% samples. I like some tracks with samples, like Amerie on "Why Don't We Fall In Love" and Faith Evans on the "On Fire" Remix. Although they seem to catch my attention for a short moment. I haven't heard a track with samples I considered a R&B classic yet. As far as music in general, why should an artist get credit for taking an older track form the original artist and get a grammy for it?

Sirjaenus said:
The problem is that people are taking a more complex music and making it follow the rules of much simpler music.

True.. R&B is following the rap structure.. ALL TALK, NO FEELING!

Sirjaenus said:
It's like making a 3 chord symphony all with guitars. I'm also tired of all these rappers hopping on the songs or on the remix. I just want to hear R&B, it's worse when the rapper doesn't even rap about what the song is about like Jeezy on "Say I" (That song sucked anyway but that was the only example I could come up with, sorry).

I can think of a hunderd more.. Repeat after repeat, all the rappers sound the same on R&B songs. WHAT A WASTE!!!!! People are getting paid for nothing now a days.

Sirjaenus said:
Another thing that pisses me off about "R&B" is that none of the singers can sing.

Thanks to Autotune, Melodyne and other pitch correction programs. These up and coming artists don't have to practice as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like big moz's take on it. lmao at the female category. so true tho...most pop r&b is very formulaic lyrically and leaves you only hungry 2 hear the beat as opposed 2 the lyrics

BIGMOZ said:
Musically, and production wise I think R&B is leagues ahead of hiphop. But as far as lyrics go, R&B can go toe to toe with any garbage verse written by DFB. Really, it all sounds the same.

Usual Concepts for R&B

Male Concepts:

Female:

anita baker could never get signed in today's climate. everyone gotta be a model now. the last "ugly talented" chick to make it in is india arie. after her the door was SLAMMED TIGHT! everyone else is just sent in to sell revlon and proactiv.

Last edited:
but if you think about it..that's when the next change in music occurs..

Co-sign on the premise of yesterday's R&B singers not getting signed in todays climate BUT those same artists have helped pave the way for the music we have today. Personally the R&B that I use as a standard of measure was made in the 70's. Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Isaac Hayes, Earth Wind and Fire, etc....

There is alot of good music out today, unfortunately I have to happen to stumble across their myspace to find it, lol. A few have made it "mainstream" like D'Angelo, Hill St. Soul, Leela James, Van Hunt, but that isn't what the kids want to hear. What's popular is Hip Hop sensible beats with singing on it, it only makes sense for a rapper to spit a quick 16 on a hot R&B track. Is it necessary all the time, of course not...does it help sales, yes.

As far as R&B being formula based, of course it is, like every music of a certain generation. Motown had a formula and they stuck to it until it's time was up.....The R. Kelly/Underdogs/RodneyJerkins/Mysto&Pizzi/Tim&Bob sound has become the standard for most Urban Radio R&B played today. I can dig it but I prefer a more organic sound which isn't commercially as popular as the Triton/Motif/MPC generated sound that resides on the airwaves.

Whatever the case, is R&B stale? Depends on who you ask and what your standard of good music is....

Back