perfect pitch.. storch??

DonVincent

i was reading http://remixmag.com/artists/remix_captain_contagious/ arcticle.. and they talkin about him havin being 1 of the few ppl with perfect pitch so the engineers dont have to try to make everythin fit... but doesnt every producer try to make sure all the elements they put into a record match pitch wise?? i mean i make sure the kick matches, bass etc before i add other instruments... doesnt everyone do this??

Don't believe everything you read. Storch is a mediocre keyboardist at best, and "perfect pitch" is a word that shouldn't be in anyone's vocabulary who has a pair of ears.

Not knocking storch, he makes hot beats, but not a step ahead of any other keyboardists.

Maybe the engineers meant he had a "perfect mix" where they don't have to go in and adjust effects, vol and pan on individual tracks of his beats?

EDIT: Read the article, that's just some dyckrider cosigning storch.

Last edited:
Maybe they mean that Storch tunes all his sounds so that nothing is (even slightly) out of pitch with the other, instruments and drums, etc.

yea not sure what they mean in the article..but from my past years when i use to play trumpet..perfect pitch meant you was REALLY close to perfect in pitch with every note that you played which is rare

How hard is it to play a keyboard in scale using different instruments?

How hard is it to tune your percussion?

In the article it says he fits one of "30,000" drums and fits it in with his bassline. I agree with this all being misconstrued by either the writer or the reader.

Last edited:
some people have 'perfect pitch' but it isn't an advantage and most who have it have stated it is more of a disadvantage due to what is supposed to be 'right' as to what is good.picture being a person unable to comfortably enjoy something that isn't done 'perfect' on purpose or by accident.

perfect pitch? is that when somebody calls out a note or whatever you know what it is?

Or need to know what key something is in or whatever?

If it's that I got that.

something like that. you can do ear training to identify notes and sh!t but like 'perfect vision' it is something you're born with. oscar peterson, the great jazz pianist, was diagnosed with 'perfect pitch' at age 5.

which reminds me, i have yet to get my ears checked. don't know how much damage i've done over the years but i should find out how much in the future will my ears degrade from this point on

lol if Oscar had it at 5 Art Tatum must of had it at 6 months. :bigeyes:

ha

If you're a piano player, you should have perfect pitch... at least from my experience. It's much more common in classical music. When you take a test to get into music schools like UCLA, you need to have perfect pitch. I never knew it was so "rare".

7thangel said:
some people have 'perfect pitch' but it isn't an advantage and most who have it have stated it is more of a disadvantage due to what is supposed to be 'right' as to what is good.picture being a person unable to comfortably enjoy something that isn't done 'perfect' on purpose or by accident.

Exactly. That's where relative pitch comes handy. Of course there are many examples of super-talented musicians with perfect pitch and being one doesn't mean that you have to ignore every aspect of ear training.

DEAFPERCEPTION said:
If you're a piano player, you should have perfect pitch... at least from my experience. It's much more common in classical music. When you take a test to get into music schools like UCLA, you need to have perfect pitch. I never knew it was so "rare".
Exactly.

They act like it's a Mutant Power in that interview.

Last edited:
i would have thought it to be more common in jazz than classical. Cause when you in that live setting and you the soloist and the pianist decides to reharmonize the harmony, you gotta instantly hear and translate the new harmonies while feeling out new melodic lines in your head that fit the chords all while maintaining the emotional integrity of the performance.

LOL at deranged. Thats right

I learned it by association. I knew this song's first note was G.

I remembered the sound of G and internalized it.

Then if someone wanted to know the key of something I'd hum that note to myself, dont match up? It isnt G, move it up a half step...etc

Also. Interval training works wonders for pitch and intonation IMHO.

I've read a lot about the subject and I'm pretty sure that perfect pitch is not to be confused with "having an ear". People Hitz mentioned for example have a good ear. On the other hand there are letters from Motzart's teachers towards his family that state that he could specify the note that the clock produced when it hit 12 o'clock (or other natural/physucal sounds). That's something you're born with and it is 1 in every 1000 people or such. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think good relative pitch is what is needed in order to enter a music school.

EDIT: what Hitz described is relative pitch. Perfect pitch is to have every note "internalized".

Last edited:
Starsmore said:
I've read a lot about the subject and I'm pretty sure that perfect pitch is not to be confused with "having an ear". People Hitz mentioned for example have a good ear. On the other hand there are letters from Motzart's teachers towards his family that state that he could specify the note that the clock produced when it hit 12 o'clock (or other natural/physucal sounds). That's something you're born with and it is 1 in every 1000 people or such. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think good relative pitch is what is needed in order to enter a music school.

EDIT: what Hitz described is relative pitch. Perfect pitch is to have every note "internalized".

I got a LITTLE of that (telling what note a snap of your fingers, fork against the plate, slam of weights on a bench press rack) etc.

But it's nowhere close as a honed skill for me tho.

GREAT points btw!

PlanetHitzProduction said:
I got a LITTLE of that (telling what note a snap of your fingers, fork against the plate, slam of weights on a bench press rack) etc.

But it's nowhere close as a honed skill for me tho.

GREAT points btw!

The reason that you have a little of that is probably due to the fact that perfect pitch works on differnt levels. Researchers have found that perfect pitch can go from recognizing the notes played on a piano without looking to recognizing abstract sounds! ;)

I just think there's a general misconception on this thread about what perfect pitch is.

Back