Number of bars for R&B choruses?

supaproduca123

I was just curious on bars for choruses for my R&B beats that I make. And most of them are fast like 120-125 BPM. But to get to the point, I gotta use 16 bars for the chorus (cause 8 bars sounds too fast for a chorus)

And I listened to "Bed" by J. Holiday 120 BPM and the chorus is 16 bars. I also listened to "Beauty" by Dru Hill which is 109 bpm and has 16 bars also for the chorus. I'm kind of worried because the song Beauty is not that fast for R&B song but has 16 bars for the chorus.

My question is will I have to make my R&B beats' chorus 16 bars everytime no matter what the tempo is?
'Cause I'm gonna start selling beats in the future so idk i guess i need to know this if i'm selling it to a singer.....

Double time. Practice making beats in double time if you want more command of the groove, more room, and a more cohesive structure. It takes a lil math too. In real time its 16 bars but in double time its 8. Just practice and listen to the structure count the bars based on the beat, in 4/4 2 kicks and 2 snares= 1 bar, k-s-k-s=1 bar. Listen to transitions, mutes, drops, etc to understand the when and where in the song. Good luck

Chorus can be whatever the idea you have calls for. I dont think there is a set amount. And even sometimes after the chorus, some R&B songs will go for another 4 bars before going into the next verse.

I wouldnt practice making R&B in double time unless it calls for it.

If you're stuck / unsure with arrangement, what I always do is just find a song that's similar and copy the arrangement. Like listen to how its structured and just apply that to my track.

There's no rules really though, the problem you may be having is because (like another person said) the tracks you mentioned are in double time so:

8 bars @ 60bpm = 16 bars @ 120bpm

But yeah, just do whatever fits, and if you're really stuck just listen to a similar song that you like and do what they do. Its a good way to learn.

If someone is paying big $$ for a track I offer to modify the arrangement for them if they want it, generally if I'm gonna work with a songwriter to do a reference I'll have them tell me their ideas for how they want it structured.

Last edited:
usually bro its 8 bars for the verse and 8 for the chorus. sometimes there might be a pre chorus or something like a transition between the verse and the chorus.
But for the most part i always go the
simple intro for 4-8 bars
verse-8bars
chorus-8bars
verse-8
chorus 8
bridge 8
chorus 8
chorus 8

Chroses are usually the same length when you're dealing with rap/hip hop and R&B. But when you get into pop that's when things may change.
It's not as hard as it seems, and double time is what i always use.
115-130 or 140 depending on the flavor i want.
when you listen to the metronome at that spead it gives you that bounce feel, rather than a slow 1..............2..............3................4 its more like
1......2.......3......4......1......2.........3.....4 when its in double time. so i put the clap/snare on the 3 rather than the 2 and the 4 in each measure.
For example:

and the clap/snare hits every 3.

but when you do things half time like 60-70 or 80 bpm, the clap/snare would hit the 2 and the 4

Last edited:
Thx every1. I think I got an a idea what doubling is. But what exactly is double timing someone said I do this. can u do double timing with rap and hip hop?

Back