Need some advice prior to buying these items

K

koto

Hello,

I am puting together a small (hobbie) studio to produce rap music.

I have been making music using the following hardware, software,

P4 1.5 gigs
384 rams
Evolution MK-425C
Soundblaster 24bit soundcard
Cheap dymatic mic

Software
Fruityloops
Cubase
Acid Pro

I have $500 to spend and I was thinking about ordering the following items,

AKG C 3000 B Condenser Mic
Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card
Eurorack UB1002 Mixer
Nady MST-5B Tripod Mic Stand with Boom Black*
CAD EPF-15A 6-Inch Flexible Pop Filter

Does anyone have an advise prior to ordering this equipment. I really want to produce decent vocals and will not upgrade for at least a year.

Thanks in advance

DaAzN50CeNt said:
AlL U nEeD iZ hIp-HoP eJaY aN cOoL eDiT pRo!!!!

Please don't turn vaild threads into jokes.

Respect people in this community, act like a guest and you will treated with respect back.

mano 1 said:

Please don't turn vaild threads into jokes.

Respect people in this community, act like a guest and you will treated with respect back.

:confused:

koto said:
Hello,

I am puting together a small (hobbie) studio to produce rap music.

I have been making music using the following hardware, software,

P4 1.5 gigs
384 rams
Evolution MK-425C
Soundblaster 24bit soundcard
Cheap dymatic mic

Software
Fruityloops
Cubase
Acid Pro

I have $500 to spend and I was thinking about ordering the following items,

AKG C 3000 B Condenser Mic
Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card
Eurorack UB1002 Mixer
Nady MST-5B Tripod Mic Stand with Boom Black*
CAD EPF-15A 6-Inch Flexible Pop Filter

Does anyone have an advise prior to ordering this equipment. I really want to produce decent vocals and will not upgrade for at least a year.

Thanks in advance

You already have a decent cpu and midi controller. I've heard some outstanding music from other FL users, so I wont knock that.

I would use that 500 and buy some M-Audio BX5's(Monitors/Speakers) and pick up T-Racks mastering software, if you have enough left over(you should)

The BX5's will improve your overall sound tremendously because now you will be able to hear entire clarity through your monitors and fine tuning will become a breeze.

T-Racks is off the hook as well. It is an all in one, EQ/Limiter/Compressor. This should be your last step in production. It pushes your music over the edge. And there will be a distinct difference in music made with it and music made without it.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I own both products and they both play a major role in my setup. ;)

KoNtAk,iZ iT tRuE yOuE pArT fLiP???If iT iZ yOuR bEaTz r hOt aZ hElL!!!

If I wanted to move up to the $750-$1000 price range, what upgrades would you suggest on the following items

Sound card
Mixer vs. preamp

Further, I hear that to run my mic I will need a mixer with phantom pwr. Any comments?

KOTO

koto said:
If I wanted to move up to the $750-$1000 price range, what upgrades would you suggest on the following items

Sound card
Mixer vs. preamp

Further, I hear that to run my mic I will need a mixer with phantom pwr. Any comments?

KOTO

Most condeser mics WILL need phantom power. You can kill two birds with one stone if you buy a external mixer with an on-board preamp. Mackie makes the best mixers in my opinion.

As for the soundcard, are you looking for an external or internal sound card? I own a M-Audio Quattro(external USB soundcard). My sound quality has improved tremendously. It ran me about 200+ dollars

i wouldnt suggest a USB soundcard unless thats the only option, or got a laptop. but anyhoo the UB1202 has a built in pre amp so you should be fine as i have that mixer as well and it comes off decent. if you want better converters on your sound card then you can get the E-Mu 1212M which i have and is a very good soundcard, but the PatchMix may take a long minute to get used to but is worth it. its only 200 bux

Get a decent sound card, plenty to choose from. The mic is to taste... but the one you've chosen there looks good. I'd almost suggest instead of getting the mixer with mic pre, ... get a channel strip. It's got what.. mic pre, a compressor, 3 band eq, LED, dynamic enhancer etc build in. Some come with a reverb, some come with a de-esser... depends how much you wanna spend.. and if you're rapper got a lisp.. hehe

Other than that... you've pretty much got everything you need already to make some decent tracks.

Last edited:
I'm useing the maudio card you mentioned and I'm getting excellent results. Check out my beats if you want, they were all made with that card. Link is in my signature.

Chris

kontak80 said:

Most condeser mics WILL need phantom power. You can kill two birds with one stone if you buy a external mixer with an on-board preamp. Mackie makes the best mixers in my opinion.

As for the soundcard, are you looking for an external or internal sound card? I own a M-Audio Quattro(external USB soundcard). My sound quality has improved tremendously. It ran me about 200+ dollars

How low can you go with latency on that sound card? and what are your pc specs?

Also to answer the thread, you might want to look at the EMU Proteus X package the soundcard is pretty much the same as the audiophile and you get a vsti sound module/fx with it for $149

Back