Mannie Fresh Says “What Happened To The East Coast Sound” and...

FeloneusSupremeProd

FP Official Threadkiller
Does Manny Fresh have a point? I think he definitely does. It's like NY the originators saw themselves being so irrelevant that they said F it, if you can't beat'em join'em. Have they swagger jacked the south? What do the NY cats and the South Cats on FP have to say on this?

Read below or check the link.
Super producer Mannie Fresh has seen many different era’s of Hip-hop and is still relevant today, currently working on the G.O.O.D. Music compilation C.D., Cruel Summer. In a recent interview with Soul Culture in his hometown of New Orleans, Mannie gave a very candid interview about his thought on Hip-Hop culture today and gives NY rappers a reason to get motivated. Check out what he said below:

“You got NY rappers that sound like they from the South, East coast rappers that sound like they from the South. I’m not saying anything is wrong with that, but what happened to the East Coast sound, what happened to the West coast sound?”

When your sound is heard across the globe, you are going to have people who would have never heard that music emulating and being influenced by it.

The East Coast sound didn't evolve...

When your sound is heard across the globe, you are going to have people who would have never heard that music emulating and being influenced by it.

The East Coast sound didn't evolve...

because currently there isn't much coming out of the east coast. i believe this will change not too soon though

cole is an evolution of the east coast sound

^^But he's from the south, I do agree his style is more east coast though.

The wild thing is in the early to mid nineties, NY cats looked down on the South big time. Like why ya'll sweating these "bama" mofos. Boy have times changed.

^^But he's from the south, I do agree his style is more east coast though.

The wild thing is in the early to mid nineties, NY cats looked down on the South big time. Like why ya'll sweating these "bama" mofos. Boy have times changed.

annnnnd it feeeeeeeeeeelssss greeeeaaaaat. I was never big on Eastcoast Hip-hop outside of Dipset and Roc-A-Fella.

I miss westcoast shit more than anything. not the early 90's westcoast shit, but the '98-'02 westcoast shit. Dillenger & Young Gotti Vol.1, Tha Eastsidaz, Doggy's Angelz type shit. when DJ BattleCat was really starting to take over shit out there,

as a New Yorker its because of our attitudes

Ego & Attitude, refusal to change, worried about the wrong things, they dont make music. Plus a lot of the labels and buildings are here, so our creative people dont make music, they become A & Rs and executives.

you got NY people in an uproar cause Wayne said he doesnt like NY. Who Cares, if i caught a gun charge that put me in prison for a year, i wouldnt like that state either. NY rap has no real essence or culture, and theyre focused on the wrong thing.

Its Nas's fault.. with his whole Hip Hop is dead Campaign
Its 50 Cents fault... for worrying about sales so much, now NY artists dont sell and have slipped into irrelevance

people try to blame the Hot97s and 105.1s for not playing NY artists.. but what NY artists are there really to play? Jay-Z.. French Montana.. Fabolous.. maybe 50 cent. The South has got 5 hot artists for every 1 hot NY artist.

i just think all the creative people in NY are more focused on just good music.. like Johnny Shipes is a harlem ass dude, and he discovered, developed and got Big Krit signed. He also has brooklyn native Joey Badass too, so hes just focused on the more business side of it all

but now that culture and everything is kinda coming back to NY, theres a lot of swag spots especially with the Nets moving to Brooklyn, fresh blood, fresh business, fresh culture. Things are gonna be coming back to NY in 2-5 years.. but as of right now, NY is dead

still one of the best cities in the world, but the music scene is trash ,cause these old niggas dont know how to give up. I dont wanna hear ghostface killah albums, and ima ghostface fan, im sick of Styles P and hes one of my favorite rappers, i dont wanna hear Jadakiss.. we've been listening to them since 96.. where are the new blood and new artists. The old cats in the game are wasting all the opportunities that are presented to NY artists because people in clear channel hear Jadakiss & Styles P and Wu-Tang members rapping over the same shit in the same way so they just shut their ears off to it

Action Bronson is cool but he sounds like ghostface killah
Joey Badass is dope, and got a good camp
same with Mr. Mutha****in Exquire
Ka is okay

Smoke DZA probably the only new NY artist that can do some damage on the scene on a big level

but even still.. thats 4 artists,and none of them even have a real movement or wave within the new york community. except maybe Joey & Bronson. None of them could headline a decent sized show even in NY. just kinda what it is.

Last edited:
He has a point. Hip Hop/rap nowdays sounds the same. Remember when 5 (and more) years ago when someone said that all rap/hiphip sounds the same, you could actually prove him/her wrong? You could show them how diffrent regions have a unique sound, how every rappers has their own style.

Now when someone says that rap/hiphop tracks sounds exacly like eachother, I unfortunantly have to agree, cause it DOES.

Damn, never thought hiphop would come to a decline.

Last edited:
People don't even realize that the southern music they hear today on the radio and commercial albums is the result of how POWERFUL that sound was in the underground for years while the East and the West were more "commercial sounding" at one point. People claim to keep it real....it gets no realler than a person who is still at the bottom where they from but representing.....buying the equipment they could afford. People say equipment was expensive back then.......not really for a broke dude who wants to make beats. Pawn shops had the old keyboards, drum machines, cheap samplers, ect. Cheap ass mixers, cheap ass effects. The stuff commercial producers laughed at because they using the up to date shit....but a keyboard was just a keyboard to us...fuuck is a mooooh gah (moog). So with no musical background....what you get is the type of music that you hear now....(it's nothing new...trust me..I understand why). Hard type beats always represented that.....while their was pretty much a limit on the commercial stuff having to sound a certain way. NOW......that underground sound is what people are used to since the DJs been taking that money under the table to play shit...AND THE PEOPLE LOVE IT. Things haven't been the same since.

So I think people look too deep in the wrong direction of why. We have to weigh in the internet to the equation as well. People would rather create what's "hot" and find a rapper from 10,000 miles away than to be on it than go downtown or to all the spots where musicians and artist kick it at and develop a style around theirs. The internet became the EAST, WEST, SOUTH, and MID sound of hip hop that way. But the things people don't know is that in certain cities their underground sound will never change and will always represent what that city is about. But commercially? As long as dudes are trying to outdo Lex, outdo Justice League, Outdo others......their is no coast sound...it is what it is. And I do like the fact that underground southern hip hop has to be one factor to share with the world....but it is what it has become.

I say that....who knows what the NY underground sounds like? I think it still sounds the same as it always besides the people who are "trying to make it" into the industry. The same in Memphis, Oakland, Chicago, ATL, ect. It's sad though.....once some underground shit today gets recognition...it immediately gets mustached by MFers........that shit wasn't happening back in the days like that.

The underground is some powerful shit when people know how to use that power....but.....15 minutes of fame is more important. The "right now and what's next to right now...take it a step further than right now".

IMO.

People don't even realize that the southern music they hear today on the radio and commercial albums is the result of how POWERFUL that sound was in the underground for years while the East and the West were more "commercial sounding" at one point. People claim to keep it real....it gets no realler than a person who is still at the bottom where they from but representing.....buying the equipment they could afford. People say equipment was expensive back then.......not really for a broke dude who wants to make beats. Pawn shops had the old keyboards, drum machines, cheap samplers, ect. Cheap ass mixers, cheap ass effects. The stuff commercial producers laughed at because they using the up to date shit....but a keyboard was just a keyboard to us...fuuck is a mooooh gah (moog). So with no musical background....what you get is the type of music that you hear now....(it's nothing new...trust me..I understand why). Hard type beats always represented that.....while their was pretty much a limit on the commercial stuff having to sound a certain way. NOW......that underground sound is what people are used to since the DJs been taking that money under the table to play shit...AND THE PEOPLE LOVE IT. Things haven't been the same since.

So I think people look too deep in the wrong direction of why. We have to weigh in the internet to the equation as well. People would rather create what's "hot" and find a rapper from 10,000 miles away than to be on it than go downtown or to all the spots where musicians and artist kick it at and develop a style around theirs. The internet became the EAST, WEST, SOUTH, and MID sound of hip hop that way. But the things people don't know is that in certain cities their underground sound will never change and will always represent what that city is about. But commercially? As long as dudes are trying to outdo Lex, outdo Justice League, Outdo others......their is no coast sound...it is what it is. And I do like the fact that underground southern hip hop has to be one factor to share with the world....but it is what it has become.

I say that....who knows what the NY underground sounds like? I think it still sounds the same as it always besides the people who are "trying to make it" into the industry. The same in Memphis, Oakland, Chicago, ATL, ect. It's sad though.....once some underground shit today gets recognition...it immediately gets mustached by MFers........that shit wasn't happening back in the days like that.

The underground is some powerful shit when people know how to use that power....but.....15 minutes of fame is more important. The "right now and what's next to right now...take it a step further than right now".

IMO.

Excellent post

^^^^I have any sound a person is looking for. I have sounds nobody thinks of. I did sounds before they became popular. Normal is boring defines my sound. But on some serious stuff....I'm working with four different people right now....3 singers and one young cat who is a singer and rapper. I like working with tem because they listen. And the appreciation I get from them makes me feel great.

its interesting to point out Mannie Fresh's most used element in his earlier beats actually came from Queens, NY rappers the Showboys' "Drag Rap" more commonly referred to as "Triggerman", & that's a big part of a lot of southern music

So with no musical background....what you get is the type of music that you hear now....

Nail on the head.

And somehow or another, the same ones who make musically-uneducated music ended up making lyrically-uneducated verses, too. It seemed to have all developed at the same time.

As I've said before, I Think mostly comes down to the availability of home-recording gear in recent history. People just wanted to get shyte out before they Learned how to make the shyte. They ended up with shyte.

Peace.

Jazz, blues, soul, funk, rnb, rock........the south has dominated all those genres for years, why should hiphop be any different?

^^^^^history never changed. Not many people in "hip hop" are musically educated. They are just naturally talented......they hear an idea or create an idea by ear...they have a keen since of rhythm. Mary Had A Little Lamb is still Mary Had a Little Lamb whether it's played one note at a time on a piano or played by a big orchestra...the original is still genius.

As far as the equipment.....that's my point. FL is the same as the pawn shop equipment. It provides a way to make beats. Their are more beats made on MTVGen and FL than anything. And majority are not in Guitar Center looking at keyboards or today staring at equipment on sweetwater......the same way as back in the day. A person with the money to invest will buy all of the so called best stuff and what equipment the hit makers make. Lil Ray Ray from 3 hunna bought a mpc.....in the street for 3 hunna and never knew truly what it is but he wants to make beats. Somebody else is telling you Roger Linn's life story behind their MPC or sold on any MPC products.

But people can't get made at the world for liking this dumb down music. It's a way of life somewhere else before the world got a chance to have the same kind of fun.

People don't represent hard no more.......guess I'm the only one that notice that.

DIPSET.....HARLEM WORLD...LET's GO!!!!

300 Hunna.....bang bang.

Movements.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Jazz, blues, soul, funk, rnb, rock........the south has dominated all those genres for years, why should hiphop be any different?

We are so supportive of everything down here..........especially our own shit.

Back