man. how the hell does Dj battlecat come up with his beats?

He been working on his sh*t for a looong-a$$ time, and he loves what he does so he been perfecting his ways of making music for years, and he's about the music. Loving what you do & Not being afraid to try new sh*t & Time & Experience. That's how you do that sh*iiit.

he prolly has a similar drum pattern style as me, and thats this

say you want a song at 93 bpms set ur actual tempo to like 96-98, and lay your snares late on the 5th and 13th instead of dead on, man since ive been doing that my drum patterns have way more groove and sound a lot less robotic sounding

or use a drum sampler and DO NOT use quantize, man i hate quantize and hate metallica for using it for their guitar parts

yeah cat is a student of dre although dre now is quantizing dead on wit his drum most early west coast producers nevwer used quantize which give it da ill groove. n hes a legend so he has yrs of practice.

i hate to bust your alls bubbles too, but some of the best producers use drum loops, wether its from a sample dvd or vinyl, a TON of em do, as ive started to, useing a drum loop with some kicks and snares and hats on top gives a great feel, especially when you drop the loop for half a bar, or vice versa, can we say FLAVVAAAA

Programming without quantizing (and make it come out how you want) takes practice too though, and you gotta know when/what to quantize and when to put your own swing to it. Like on what drum hits/tracks, etc
Learn how the "swing/groove/note shifting" features work on whatever equipment you use for drums too and just experiment and look for your own ways/techniques of laying down them drum tracks

Last edited by a moderator:
study his youtube video

or

turn on the drum machine and play along to some mandrill or the meters
songs

oh yeah Battlecat is the ish!
If u think he something checc out
Terrace Martin and Uncle Chucc
Amplified and Simon & Simon...they all fux wit each other and all got that vibe

Gutty502 said:
he prolly has a similar drum pattern style as me, and thats this

say you want a song at 93 bpms set ur actual tempo to like 96-98, and lay your snares late on the 5th and 13th instead of dead on, man since ive been doing that my drum patterns have way more groove and sound a lot less robotic sounding

or use a drum sampler and DO NOT use quantize, man i hate quantize and hate metallica for using it for their guitar parts

???????

yo, wheredid you hear that?

lol

Last edited:
Cat is that dude for real......his joints are always real funky. Playing lazy is not always a bad thing. In westcoast style beats, it sounds real dope when you play the bass kind of lazy behind the drums

If you want organic sounding groove, use LIVE drums dammit.

Fiya0522 said:
yeah cat is a student of dre although dre now is quantizing dead on wit his drum most early west coast producers nevwer used quantize which give it da ill groove. n hes a legend so he has yrs of practice.

Dre for sure doesn't quantize his snare..It's really early

Gutty502 said:

Quantize does a lot more than just put your drums on beat. I use quanitize to get my sh!t OFF BEAT.

Reason's ReGroove is the sh!t.

Live drums and drum loops are also the sh!t.

Oh and Bakewell Tart is the sh!t too.

Back