Thread: Interpolation Clearances

Thanks

Interpolation Clearances

Sign in to disable this ad
    I know that samples can cost Artists a LOT of cash to clear but what about interpolations? What I mean is when they replay part of another song. Well thats what I think interpolation means. ive seen it in album covers etc. So how much do the artists have to pay to clear interpolations compared to samples?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Swesty
    I know that samples can cost Artists a LOT of cash to clear but what about interpolations? What I mean is when they replay part of another song. Well thats what I think interpolation means. ive seen it in album covers etc. So how much do the artists have to pay to clear interpolations compared to samples?
    it depends on the publishing house that administers the copyright. There is no flat fee. It's whatever the artist is willing to pay combined with how valuable the publishing house thinks the song is.

My Bad - Prod by J.Troup

Thanks
    it must be a lot cheaper than sampling though, Oh and does dre clear all of his interpolated songs? I dont see a single credit in 2001

Thanks
    If the publisher is affiliated with the Harry Fox Agency, you can get it cheap.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

www.myspace.com/lbmusic

Thanks
    Originally posted by POUND
    If the publisher is affiliated with the Harry Fox Agency, you can get it cheap.
    most publishers are affiliated with HFA, and it depends on what the sample is.

Y'all remember that Erick Sermon song 'Music', with the Marvin Gaye sample? He got those vocals from the end of a greatest hits cd. They weren't even a song really. Marvin was just kinda freestyling acapella.

He paid $200,000 for that ONE vocal sample that no one ever knew existed!

So again...depending on what the song is, it's history and it's value.

My Bad - Prod by J.Troup

Thanks
    Originally posted by j.troup

****, really? i liked that song, but didn't think it was worth that much.

Thanks
    Originally posted by j.troup

most publishers are affiliated with HFA, and it depends on what the sample is.

Y'all remember that Erick Sermon song 'Music', with the Marvin Gaye sample? He got those vocals from the end of a greatest hits cd. They weren't even a song really. Marvin was just kinda freestyling acapella.

You're right, if your using an origianl sound recording. I thought he was talking about if you remake the song. If you remake the song, then it's affordable. If you sample the original recording, then they tax the **** out of you.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

www.myspace.com/lbmusic

Thanks
    Quick. How many notes can you get away with playing before it’s legally considered interpolation?
    Stop gangbangin for bacon!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information