I'm thinking of building a proffesional studio to rent out. Any tips?

calmAss

Has anyone here done this or is doing this right now?

How is it? What are the pros and cons, things I should consider first?

Do you have any advice for me? Any books for me to read? Website to visit? All help will be appreciated.

Your better off giving that money to a Nigerian scammer. True story. There is no more money in it unless you just so happen to have a ton of gear to run a studio, rent, build a great tracking room, control room and acoustically treat it, make sure the power is good and clean, get your books together, register as a company, trademarking, website maintenance not to mention gear and studio maintenance. The profit is usually just not there unless you started when there was a profit in the industry. Its not like that anymore. the cost of running a basic business, besides the gear and maintenance is higher than the profit you would make. So in that you should use that money for yourself, for your personal studio. There are tons more cons in opening a new studio business than there are pros.

That’s prolly some good advice.

I don’t want to get too technical here but building a professional studio is a good way to go broke fast, so heres a few things to consider before deciding to open up a studio.

First off I'm assuming by "professional" you’re willing to drop at least $10,000+ on your setup, including recording equipment sound proofing, etc... Now do you have the cash up front? Do you at least own some equipment already? Or are you gonna have to take out loans to pay for this ****?

Are you gonna try to do this out of your basement? Which isn’t very professional unless you’ve got quite the buzz going and people consider your studio more of a private/exclusive place to be. If not your gonna have to rent out a space, and that could cost up the ass. And keep in mind that it could take a couple years before you even start recouping initial costs or start turning a profit; and don't forget your rent/mortgage, utilities and possible interest on loans you may have.

Now do you even have clients? You can't just open up a studio and BAM, insta bookings. Unless you’ve got a lot of people bugging you to record stuff in whatever setup you may already have your going to have a rough start.
And lastly do you have the knowledge and experience necessary to run a studio as a somewhat certified professional? If you haven’t even worked in a professional studio before and/or fully understand the business/technical aspects of it I would completely forget about this idea for now, hell I would probably be looking into working at a studio at that point.

So in the end, if you have the capital, you have the clients, you have the ambition, necessary skills/education and some innovative ideas then you can defiantly go for it; but your gonna have to work your ass off to get anywhere with it.

IMO. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
With a lot of people opting to have their own set ups and no money in the industry, it would be a tough business to make any money off. A lot of big studios have closed down. The question is can you tap into that market which they had to leave and provide as good a facility. What about security? Gear maintenance? Which clientele are you aiming for and how are you going to attract it? I hope you have all this in mind before you pursue what you desire

Good luck sir.

how big are we talking? because professional is all relative. you could be a studio like hit factory with multiple rooms or you could have a facility like ours which is a control room and an isolation booth. I've done pretty well having an office/recording facility. Its just another option to generate revenue for our production company

Thanks for all the advice. It's starting to look like it was a bad idea. I have the capital and wanted to spend it on something that would allow me to at least focus most of my time on music. Oh well.

And by professional, I was thinking between $40 000 and $50 000.

Has anyone here done this or is doing this right now?

How is it? What are the pros and cons, things I should consider first?

Do you have any advice for me? Any books for me to read? Website to visit? All help will be appreciated.

Don't do it. Unless you can afford security.

Thanks for all the advice. It's starting to look like it was a bad idea. I have the capital and wanted to spend it on something that would allow me to at least focus most of my time on music. Oh well.

And by professional, I was thinking between $40 000 and $50 000.

lol, 40-50k is not going to get you close to a professional studio.

first you have rent.

then you need a console or control surface: 10k for a C24
then you will more than likely need PTHD: 10k for that.
then you need some pro pluins: 10k for waves mercury
then you need pro pres and mics another 5-10k

so you are already at your budget, and do have a facility, you control room is treated correctly, your vocal booth isnt treated correctly yet, you still need pro monitors, you will probably want to float the floor and walls.

also take into consideration that recording studios aren't lucrative unless you have the capability to record bands, and rent out the live room for bands to rehearse.

now if this was a post house, you might have a chance of your studio staying afloat, but you have to have the connects to get the gigs for post work.

Seek out a SCORE member in your area to help you build an in depth business plan. This way you will know about anyone in your area currently and trying to record themselves. Stay on top of local events and shows, also don't forget about social groups and misc community organizations. Every member in a church choir wants to drop a solo album, make sure they record it at your establishment, whether or not they can sing. Be ready to be a facilitator for those who want to shop demo's or release what they have, create an avenue for your clients and build relationships....good luck.

Back