If you buy an exclusive...

BJv

play
You own the whole beat right? Including the composition?

How would you react if someone was interested in buying an exclusive track from you and also requested the midi files along with the tracked out audio tracks?

You own the whole beat right? Including the composition?

How would you react if someone was interested in buying an exclusive track from you and also requested the midi files along with the tracked out audio tracks?

laugh but the seller cannot deny that right i would think. its actually kinda smart on that buyer's behalf

I don't know about midi, but tracked out files and stems are pretty mandatory, you should have them when buying an exclusive...even when you are letting a pro mix it you should get everything you ask for (tracked out, stems, master etc.)

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Depends on what licenses are being granted, which depends on what the contract says.

that's true though

I'll be damned if I give out the MIDI files. There's no point in having them unless you're trying to change the beat.

If an artist asked me for the MIDI files, I'd be suspicious as hell.

basically the buyer is just requesting the SESSION FILE.

the session file contains everything...AUDIO, MIDI, AUTOMATION, EFX, etc...

if i was to buy an EXCLUSIVE, i too would request the SESSION FILE.

$.02

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

and technically, depending on what program the beat was made in, i'd request the SESSION FOLDER...which contains ALL the original audio files PRE-manipulation.

Midi files aren't worth much though. I could grab a commercial famous song, change a few notes and a chord here and there and it would be a completely new composition. As long as I never used it in a similar context to the original nobody would ever know. I know this isn't right and I don't do it but it is an option.

i think what dog really mean was SESSION FILES...not MIDI files...

nobody even really IMPORTS OR EXPORTS MIDI files...all we do is manipulate MIDI INFORMATION that WE program.

he wants what we programmed...there is no FILE of that because nobody really even EXPORTS MIDI FILES that we program...

but, in a SESSION FILE, it's all there...EVERYTHING.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

additionally, i think a lot of producers are scared to sell session files because they don't want the buyer to make a HOTTER BEAT that could be RE-SOLD.

Last edited:
If you're getting an exclusive license, of course you get the tracked out files. Because with an exclusive license, chances are, they are gonna wanna get the song mixed and mastered.

But as far as OWNERSHIP?? I still own the track and 100% of the rights to the instrumental. As far as the resulting SONG, on an indie level, ownership is 50/50.

But midi files?? Hell no. That reeks of shady type behavior. There's no reason why you need the MIDI files.

Just the audio files, idk what the midi files r for, just lie and say u lost it
thats a bad business practice. always be honest with your customers. he could be using it in some kind of notation program maybe to replay or add certain parts or something. If you are selling someone the rights to your music you have to understand that once you sell it its not yours anymore. Its also based on how you do your business. I don't do typical exclusives. I want my credit on the record as well as the back end money if there is any. I only lease for this reason and then ill do an exclusive lease which basically says Ill only sell it to you because without your credits you are nothing in this business. Selling the rights to your music is just fast money. Do any of you want some longevity in this business? Think about how many artists are still getting royalties 20-30-40 years later. I want to be one of those guys

I think people need to understand the ins and outs of music licensing.

If you sell your copyrights, you're a fool.

An exclusive license is just that. A license to use the music exclusively.

Someone needs to write a book for producers. I need to write that.

maybe...but what would you say that's not already covered here:

beattips-manual.gif

Who said I had to cover anything different?

He isn't me, so we can have different perspectives on the same topic.

I think people need to understand the ins and outs of music licensing.

If you sell your copyrights, you're a fool.

An exclusive license is just that. A license to use the music exclusively.

someone really should. hopefully it will change how people conduct business online because I only hear about cats doing things like this on the internet

never heard of a request like that. u usually would just do a track out on an exclusive. sounds like someone trying to steal your sounds or something

producers don't sell the rights to their beats, we only license them. if we sell the rights to our beats we could potentially end up loosing a lot of money if the song was to blow up.

I'll be damned if I give out the MIDI files. There's no point in having them unless you're trying to change the beat.

If an artist asked me for the MIDI files, I'd be suspicious as hell.

second that!

Back