Ideas for live performance rap shows?

S

skmagnum

Ive done probably around 10 rap shows and ive probably only been to 5 or 6 shows so this is why im asking for the help lol. The shows that I have rocked have been ill, but i want to stand apart from everybody else. Now I aint talkin bout costumes n pyro n lasers (yet, lol) but just as far as possible crowd participation scenarios, scripting out the show, etc. One idea i had was to "make a beat live", where my mpc and a keyboard are set up with my dj n i "make a beat" thats already preprogrammed and then comense to rock over it. Any other ideas or suggestions or other artists that you know of that have great live sets that i could reference off of?

I was told about a show where the emcee (Astronautilus) would freestyle on topics given by the crowd. If you can get your crowd engaged enough to participate and give you something, that'd be cool.

the beat idea is dope, this group Collective Efforts do that, they start with the sample, then bring the drums in, and one of them will start layin some cutz on the TTs and they start rockin the song, really dope shyt

the freestyle thing is dope too...Common does that at his shows, just start pointing out things and spitting

can't go wrong with a band either

yeah , I feel you, we need to get fresh ideas as well for our group as we have 4 shows in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wanted to do that **** as a DJ. Have like a MPD and battery set up then another dude on the keys and make a beat live and ****. IDK

yeah, we got 2 shows coming up next week in tahoe for FODT Familia in Lake Tahoe on November 14 and Sacramento on November 15 so Im trying to come up with some other ish to step it up. Everybody talkin bout this internet stuff and forgot that as an artist u still gotta go out there and make it happen lol...

www.myspace.com/dirtmerchants
www.myspace.com/blackiceclickk

PBoyProducer said:
the beat idea is dope, this group Collective Efforts do that, they start with the sample, then bring the drums in, and one of them will start layin some cutz on the TTs and they start rockin the song, really dope shyt

the freestyle thing is dope too...Common does that at his shows, just start pointing out things and spitting

can't go wrong with a band either

yeah i wanna get the live band cracking eventually, i like the ideas so far though, lets keep them going. I think the art of throwing a real dope show on the independent level is damn near forgotten and I see that as an opportunity to stand out from the rest of the comp out there...:sing:

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw a dude named carnage, dope mc. He had a loop pedal on stage and he built up a beatbox with it, laying down different four bar elements to it then commenced to rap over it. It was pretty sick.

Good topic.

Most rap shows are seriously crappy and boring. Now, without the budget, you can still make them nice if you willing to work it.

During the summer, we usually do three or four shows a month, and we've done the following.

1. Always get a DJ, a hypeman, and if you got some live musicians/keyboardists to play a melody or something (taken out of the "show mix" of the beat, it really helps. Some people like using dancers, etc as well. But at least have a DJ and a hypeman...even if you are in a group of two or more.

2. Only use backing tracks for ad libs and hooks, please don't contribute to the trend of rapping along with your Album version mix. And since you now decided if you haven't already, to not do it the sissy way (we used to do it the sissy way when we didn't know better...I think it is mainly a southern thing), make sure you, other group members if applicable, and your hypeman coordinate which lines they do, especially when you are going to drop out and take a breath. Needing a breath and the hypeman not stepping in leaves a blank in the song...not good. So plan that out.

3. Make a DVD of some scenery and graphics, and find some old TV sets to string together. It looks even cooler and more gritty than the nice plasma/lcd screens and all that, especially in the smaller venues.

4. Your beat idea is cool, but always drop an acapella verse regardless.

5. Don't be scared to talk to the crowd, but don't ramble or do it between every song.

6. Make sure your DJ drops the beat out every now and then, and to know where YOU want them to kill the beat. Plan that out.

7. In a longer set, don't forget to let your DJ have a few minutes of prime time, and always let any features you got performing have they own song in your set. If you are doing your job, you will need the rest to take a breather. Which means, always have a featuring artist during a show...it makes it better.

8. Have a back-up plan to switch songs up to cater to your crowd as the set goes on if needed, because sometimes a crowd may be in the mood for a track you originally thought wouldn't be good to perform live.

9. Always, always, always, always toss out free stuff from the stage...Always, always, always...I don't care if it is a burnt CD-R, your set list scrap paper, or your sweat rag. Always, always, always give a few people in the crowd something...

10. Don't rely on this other wack trend of needing a mixtape song with a familiar beat...do YOU, not YOU+currently popular instrumental from the radio. If YOU and your OWN WORK can't keep a crowd into it, YOU have failed. The audience really does notice that relying on a mixtape track means you lack confidence in your own material...and no, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE THAT DISAGREES SAYS ABOUT THIS...I don't care what the trend is, its bogus. While it may get a cheer during the show, later, the audience will be thinking differently, and think you weren't much without it...

Oh, and try to book some shows with the rock bands too. Don't try to stay in one element. You'd be surprised by the positive reaction you get outside of the typical hip-hop show crowd.

Last edited:
^^^wow, that was so damn informative! We don't do the rapping over the vox either, it sounds way too sloppy. Fortunately, we have a show DJ so we got that part covered. I will deff do the DVD thing with the graphics. what are your thoughts about giving the dj time to do his scratch thing? we give our DJ time to scratch on the turntables(nasty with it) but sometimes i feel kinda ackward during that 8 bar break that he may rock. what would you suggest? and what else would you suggest as far as including the DJ as a more active member of the set? Sorry if i got all these questions, but its true, its not talked about enough!!

skmagnum said:
^^^wow, that was so damn informative! We don't do the rapping over the vox either, it sounds way too sloppy. Fortunately, we have a show DJ so we got that part covered. I will deff do the DVD thing with the graphics. what are your thoughts about giving the dj time to do his scratch thing? we give our DJ time to scratch on the turntables(nasty with it) but sometimes i feel kinda ackward during that 8 bar break that he may rock. what would you suggest? and what else would you suggest as far as including the DJ as a more active member of the set? Sorry if i got all these questions, but its true, its not talked about enough!!

I agree, I am always looking for ideas as well. Live shows make the artists...and y'all producers reading this had better become DJs. I am just now starting to DJ for some fellow artists I've made beats for along with showing up to do my features at their shows, even though I am an artist myself along with producer, engineer, etc...can't wear enough hats these days...I got me a turntable, a cd player, Deckadance, Live, and some custom Reaktor5 ensembles in my new DJ rig...Got stay in front of people no matter what, getting up and doing a feature and one song at a show that ain't mine is a thing of the past for me, if I can, I try to be the DJ so they shows also become my shows the whole time, instead of five or six minutes of it.

Anyway...

If you feel awkward, just get out of the way and off the stage and go drink some water...or, if you don't need the breather, jump into the crowd. That always gets people excited. Especially when you do a show with a rock band and they have that kind of crowd...the "all rap shows" don't tend to have much crowd surfing going on though...Anyway, be sure to give the DJ a good three to five minutes, and make sure he has a live mic...its on him to carry his weight, you really don't need to be involved much during that part. Just say something like you gonna let the DJ do his thing for a minute and you'll be back or something like that. Since we produce most of the tracks we use, we have a lot more control than a lot of artists, so our "show mix" of a song will have the first part of the DJ set tacked on to the song that we do before his turn with some instruments taken out, that way, the music don't stop, we walk off, and the DJ has 4 bars before he crossfades into his other stuff, which also includes a way back into our next song when he's done with his thing. PLANNING AHEAD. That's key.

What we did was bounce down some acapella snippets of our tracks, and gave them to our DJ who also has some nice Numark CD players, and he scratches our vox to some custom breaks and instrumental stuff we made for him (again, no commercial instrumentals). He'll scratch and re-pitch and all that stuff and makes it hot.

The DJ can also do ad libs, can do some talking between songs so the artists don't have to say everything, and the DJ needs a sampler to trigger sound effects and stuff at the end, beginning, and between songs.

If you doing a show for over 150 people, the DJ should come out first. And you should have your main producer, if you aren't a producer yourself, craft you a killer instrumental track as an intro before the first song comes on. Our intro is sweet. We used an old ROMpler plug-in called Morphology for some ambient pads and textures (though these sounds are everywhere these days), some hard hitting sub bass, and some tweaked out vocals of us talking using a CamelPHAT preset called VOX Skinesque and used an autopan effect...It is only about a minute long, and it crescendo's up until of first beat kicks in, and the first song we do live has a pitched down hook that starts it off and we wait until when the first verse comes on before we come out so we come out rapping. It sounds a bit creepy and mysterious and still hits at the same time...it just builds the anticipation and it works.

Same thing at the end, we have an ambient electronic type beat for an outro with more vocals using the same effects. The DJ is the last dude off stage. We just say our thanks, give one more shout out for the merch booth so people buy stuff, kick the outro on, and walk off.

1st rule of showmanship is never stay still longer than five seconds...and 2nd rule is that if you tend to close your eyes on stage, wear sunglasses no matter how dark it is in there. Never let them see you with your eyes closed.

Oh, and stack the TV's all crazy on top of each other, some sideways and what-not...usually you can find the TVs at pawn shops...we found some cheap ones at a hotel that was replacing all the rooms with newer ones...payed $10 a piece for ours. The TV's really help when at the clubs that got a crappy track lighting system (or no lighting system).

Last edited:
Here is our intro+first song for shows so you can hear what I am talking about. By no means am I saying you got to go for that kind of sound and do what we do on the intro part, but you know, do your own thing. But this will give you an idea for the format. (This has our vox on it so people don't be jackin...LOL)

It really comes off sweet though.

Damn, Trusty "The Event Planner" and sh*t! I agree 100% about Producers becoming dj's. The way this industry is going.....

Anybody know where I can find those Aaaaahhhh effects that dj's use to scratch with? I had some on a cd with other dj sound effects(like gunshots and voice snippets) but mine got stolen.

Trusty said:
Here is our intro+first song for shows so you can hear what I am talking about. By no means am I saying you got to go for that kind of sound and do what we do on the intro part, but you know, do your own thing. But this will give you an idea for the format. (This has our vox on it so people don't be jackin...LOL)

It really comes off sweet though.

yeah that intro really builds up the anticipation of the show. i was also brainstorming with my partner and i thought about having a projector (which we have) display like scenes, like a low budget set that changes with the different songs or themes. Lets keep the ideas rolling, i know one thought i also had was to try to have the crowd clap and stomp on time and spit over that, it would be like "stomp-clap-stomp-clap" etc and spit over it just to keep people interested and included in the set...

Trusty said:
Good topic.

1. Always get a DJ, a hypeman, and if you got some live musicians/keyboardists to play a melody or something (taken out of the "show mix" of the beat, it really helps. Some people like using dancers, etc as well. But at least have a DJ and a hypeman...even if you are in a group of two or more.

10. Don't rely on this other wack trend of needing a mixtape song with a familiar beat...do YOU, not YOU+currently popular instrumental from the radio. If YOU and your OWN WORK can't keep a crowd into it, YOU have failed. The audience really does notice that relying on a mixtape track means you lack confidence in your own material...and no, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE THAT DISAGREES SAYS ABOUT THIS...I don't care what the trend is, its bogus. While it may get a cheer during the show, later, the audience will be thinking differently, and think you weren't much without it...

i disagree on a hypeman...i can see a fellow rapper "in your crew" catching your ad libs or parts of the songs that are hard to rap all the way through in one take...but to have a dude up there just to have one up there is wack IMO...all the dope emcees with ill live shows, kanye, jay, mos, kweli rock them by themselves...if YOU are the artist, i def. think they should be focusing on YOU. also i have seen a lot of hypeman just get in the way and phuck up a show b/c they don't know the words, they suck, they are nervous, etc. rock that shyt by yourself, if you are a rapper you shouldn't be so insecure you can't rock the stage by yourself....

#10- 110% correct!

Back