Hiphop in Europe - A Northern Thing?

I

ibrahim

After i looked on the FP-map-thread, i came to think of something, i maybe be wrong, but i seems to me that hiphop isn't really that much up in the European-countries located south of the Latin-border.

I know that in the Scandinavian countries, especially Denmark, the hiphop-scene is alive and kicking, both the underground and the more commercial side of it.

German-rap seems to be in a healthy state as well and though there alot of ****ty blends between DnB and rap in the UK, they do have talent on the Isle, especially a rapper like Klashnekoff has caught my ears.

The French rap-scene has been a few steps ahead of the rest of Europe for years, and its no coincidence that so many French acts were featured on "The World According to RZA".

However when we move down to countries like Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain it seems like there barely is any hiphop to find.

Anyone living in these areas or with knowledge of Southern Europe, that can clarify this for me?
If i'm wrong, what names should i keep an eye on?
If i'm right, why do you think that hiphop isn't that popular in the South?
And what about Eastern Europe, The Balkans and Turkey?

You're pretty much right, in a way. the south of europe doesn't really have any hiphop-type of scene, but the rest does..
i talked with couple breakdancers in Turkey, and they really don't have like any rappers down there, basically breakdancers had their only gigs at turistbars and hotels and such..
however, 50 cent is BIG there so i think it's just a matter of time.

About 10 years ago or so, a Turkish rap/hiphop group by the name of CARTEL dropped their album. Us youths went crazy when we first heard it! The track KAN KARDESLER ('Blood Brothers') became an instant classic.

Their is an emerging Turkish hiphop scene and more and more artists are dropping their CDs. Most of them though, are based in Germany.

in moroco hiphop is also big i know, but not popular by the gouverment cause they call it evil music (where have we heard that before...), but rai and rnb rule the mainstream there. You got a lot of local artist, but they mostly don't have hits outside north africa and the french suburb ghetto's.

but spain, portugal and italy are rather hiphop ignorant as far as i know.

Last edited:
ibrahim said:
The French rap-scene has been a few steps ahead of the rest of Europe for years, and its no coincidence that so many French acts were featured on "The World According to RZA".

the french on the cd are mostly maroccan... cilvaringz scouted them...

Well, the reason that that hiphop-culture among Turkish and Africans is mainly based in European countries, has a lot to do with the social status that they have in European countries, which leads to them identifying with people in the same situation as themselves, instead of the new countrys native population - IMO the similarities between the situation of arabs in the European ghettos and the african-americans in the ghettos in the US, is the main reason behind young arabs embracing hiphop culture.

Also the fact that the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are seen as foreigners in both their country of birth and their parents country, makes it necessairy to adopt a new cultural identity, and as hiphop is has its roots in the same enviroment, the hiphop-culture will often be the one that they choose.

ibrahim said:
Well, the reason that that hiphop-culture among Turkish and Africans is mainly based in European countries, has a lot to do with the social status that they have in European countries, which leads to them identifying with people in the same situation as themselves, instead of the new countrys native population - IMO the similarities between the situation of arabs in the European ghettos and the african-americans in the ghettos in the US, is the main reason behind young arabs embracing hiphop culture.

Also the fact that the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are seen as foreigners in both their country of birth and their parents country, makes it necessairy to adopt a new cultural identity, and as hiphop is has its roots in the same enviroment, the hiphop-culture will often be the one that they choose.

Good words.
On your last portion I would take it even further: for the 2nd and 3rd generations, children of immigrants, they are still seen and foriegners even if they hold only EU passport. There is created a feeling in peoples that they have almost 'no land', a feeling of isolation.

In Morocco you can get all the hiphop CD's you want for $2 or less :D :D :D you can go down a place that really feels like the middle of nowhere and see Wu or 2Pac graf on signs and buildings LOL.

Back