Thread: Hip-Hop Without Percussion

Thanks

Hip-Hop Without Percussion

Sign in to disable this ad
    Why has this never kicked off?

Sure, the beat does get people into the song. However, you don't need to know how to read music to know when to bop your head to guitar strums or even synth notes. Furthermore, sometimes beats serve only to distract listeners from the lyrics, which in my opinion is detrimental to the whole notion of a song.

But anyways, to my main point: would you all, hip-hop connoisseurs I'm sure, be open to hip-hop without drums?

Thanks
    I think it's called "beatnik poetry."

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rhythmgj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Because it's a radical concept, you kind of are looking for a sound like a tom or a snare or a kick. It just doesn't feel like hiphop without the drums. Now, i can rap to a melody, but without the drums, what is there.. then again, rm rapped to a song that was just the melody for over half the song.
    This song:
    YouTube

Thanks
    It's been done. Ray West does this a lot. Check for his collaboration albums with O.C., A.G. & Blu. I'm sure he has others.

It's cool, but I typically can't listen to more than a song or 2 in a row. The track usually isn't compelling enough. When I'm in the mood for that, I play jazz where the playing is more dynamic.
    The groove baby, the groove...

Thanks
    It definitely exists haha. When people do it it's generally limited to one track on the album though... I don't mind hip-hop without drums as a whole, but the rhythm of a dusty drum break is a core element of the genre
    Hit me up on Facebook! Producer album on Spotify and Bandcamp if you want to check it out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Funk Junkie View Post
    It definitely exists haha. When people do it it's generally limited to one track on the album though... I don't mind hip-hop without drums as a whole, but the rhythm of a dusty drum break is a core element of the genre
    Amen to that

Thanks
    imo drums are the most important

Thanks
    I just thought of a great example of this actually, go check out Ka, he also has music out as Dr. Yen Lo. It's really cool stuff, but if everyone was doing I think it'd get old pretty fast. His music tends to either not have drums at all or have them super low in the mix.
    Hit me up on Facebook! Producer album on Spotify and Bandcamp if you want to check it out.

Thanks
    Jay Elec sure got a lot of tread over Eternal Sunshine...Nice opportunity to highlight the percussive aspects/potential of vocals..."I took eternal sunshine and I looped it/no drums, no hook, just new shit"

Thread Information