The hi hat pattern in Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride

C

cloakanddagger

I just can't figure out how to re-create this pattern. I feel like I should be able to but no matter what I try it just doesn't sound right. If someone has FL Studio could they do it for me so I can see what it looks like? Or somehow show me it?

sorry, wrong forum :o

Last edited by a moderator:
cloakanddagger said:
I just can't figure out how to re-create this pattern. I feel like I should be able to but no matter what I try it just doesn't sound right. If someone has FL Studio could they do it for me so I can see what it looks like? Or somehow show me it?

sorry, wrong forum :o
You tryna recreate the beat? But you probably need to mess with the accents / velocity of the hats.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm trying lots of different combinations of velocities and decay times for the hats in addition to the placement of them.

I'm really just trying to re-create the hats though, just because I'm so baffled by them, it's bugging me you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
I shouldn't be posting this and giving away little tricks of the trade...

but try something that looks like this.
dredrums.jpg

They're all the same high hat... They play over eachother and make eachother louder so it adds some dynamic to the sound. And also notice the swing...

And it's possible that high hat pattern was sampled from live drums.

Last edited:
ATG said:
I shouldn't be posting this and giving away little tricks of the trade...

but try something that looks like this.
dredrums.jpg

They're all the same high hat... They play over eachother and make eachother louder so it adds some dynamic to the sound. And also notice the swing...

And it's possible that high hat pattern was sampled from live drums.

Wow. Thanks :D

That's exactly right....the drums,kick,snare,hi hat,open hat is actually one big loop sampled from a song called "The Lonesome Cowboy". Straight loop....not chopped or anything. Tough pattern to recreate. You can get close with your own hi hat sounds but it won't sound exactly the same.

dj rreal said:
That's exactly right....the drums,kick,snare,hi hat,open hat is actually one big loop sampled from a song called "The Lonesome Cowboy". Straight loop....not chopped or anything. Tough pattern to recreate. You can get close with your own hi hat sounds but it won't sound exactly the same.

Who is that song by?

cloakanddagger said:
Who is that song by?

Do a search on it. Or do a search on Ultimate Breaks and Beats and skim the song titles. I got the record but I can't remember the artist name. Real obscure type stuff.

dj rreal said:
Do a search on it. Or do a search on Ultimate Breaks and Beats and skim the song titles. I got the record but I can't remember the artist name. Real obscure type stuff.

Is it Roy Ayers?

Back