Good or bad? Kanye west slid 78% second week sales

I'm sure it's more than 50c-$1 I dunno i gotta read up on my industry facts but even so, just because he's "set for life" means we shouldint support? that means we should only buy from local small businesses and not McDonald's or Wal-Mart right? Aren't their CEO's and owners set for life?
most artist are nowhere near a 50-50 split. even Kanye takes a backseat to promo, distribution, marketing, etc. It's more along the lines of 25-35c per $1...

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

The BUSINESS says that he's on Def Jam, and we all know Def Jam's first week behavior.
You think they would bother? Is he signed under a 360 right now? I thought I read he was. The bigger his shows the bigger his budget and we know he likes to put on a big show, so buying copies to puff numbers means Kayne has alot more to pay back. Doesn't make sense to let your label do that. Besides, dude was right, record sales no longer make or break an artist. Putting on a good stage performance is the key. Standing on stage with your crew all yelling bits and pieces of your verses is cool but having the African dancing act from Coming To America happen during the middle of your show has got to create a big deal of interest and alot of cash.
If Dipset came out on stage and had a huge hood built on there set with drug deals going on and cats getting robbed and shot at the right times would be worth the $25. Yelling inaudibly is getting boring. Artist gotta go to level 10 right now. Cats have been making there rounds thru my area alot lately. Nicki Minaj is performing every where you can imagine. I looked up her itinerary and she's gotta be getting exhausted by now...

All-In-All... Record sales are great but ticket sales are the new focus.

If an artist puts together a project that I feel more than 80% of the album, I'll go buy it...simple as that. Even if I've already downloaded it. Sales may not matter to the artist as they don't get that much money from it, but I'm sure it matters to the label backing and funding that artist. They're not going to continue to invest in anyone that doesn't appear to be appealing to the people listening to the music.

...CD's are $9.99 or less these days, with as much garbage being released these days, you probably won't feel this way about more than 5-10 albums per year. That's the case for me at least.

On a side note, the video for "Monster" is coming soon, that'll def boost sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol @ "Let your label do that".

Kanye is an employee. He does what he's told, otherwise they put his ass on the shelf.

Kanye is a marquee act on the label, so he has a little more leverage, but not much. He ain't no Whitney Houston, and even she was only getting about 25 cents per record.

The #1 slot is all about marketing and bragging rights. If you debut at number one, people think you're doing something. They pay attention. You get booked on talk shows and news shows to perform. You get your face on the cover of magazines. It's all about promotion.

Don't get it twisted, record sales are still how record labels eat. When they get that #1 record, they start using that angle to promote.

So yes, buying up those albums is still done, and it's all apart of the marketing budget.

Madonna and Prince pack in way more concert fans than Kanye all across the world, but you don't hear them all over radio, see their faces on the front of magazines, and see them performing all on TV.

It's cuz they don't have the Billboard #1 spot.

It was a very good album and noone can debate that WORK was put into it! YES! Some artists actually put EFFORT into albums now! And this definitely was one of them. THere's no debate, it's only right to buy the actually CD or old ass vinyl for some reason. If you can find a reason why you should steal every album that comes out. You should rot in music hell listening to Crank Dat for eternity.

most artist are nowhere near a 50-50 split. even Kanye takes a backseat to promo, distribution, marketing, etc. It's more along the lines of 25-35c per $1...

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

You think they would bother? Is he signed under a 360 right now? I thought I read he was. The bigger his shows the bigger his budget and we know he likes to put on a big show, so buying copies to puff numbers means Kayne has alot more to pay back. Doesn't make sense to let your label do that. Besides, dude was right, record sales no longer make or break an artist. Putting on a good stage performance is the key. Standing on stage with your crew all yelling bits and pieces of your verses is cool but having the African dancing act from Coming To America happen during the middle of your show has got to create a big deal of interest and alot of cash.
If Dipset came out on stage and had a huge hood built on there set with drug deals going on and cats getting robbed and shot at the right times would be worth the $25. Yelling inaudibly is getting boring. Artist gotta go to level 10 right now. Cats have been making there rounds thru my area alot lately. Nicki Minaj is performing every where you can imagine. I looked up her itinerary and she's gotta be getting exhausted by now...

All-In-All... Record sales are great but ticket sales are the new focus.

Kanye is not doing a 360 deal. C'mon fam. Pay attention. If records don't sell, they don't get a budget for another one. No matter how much they tour.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

It was a very good album and noone can debate that WORK was put into it! YES! Some artists actually put EFFORT into albums now! And this definitely was one of them. THere's no debate, it's only right to buy the actually CD or old ass vinyl for some reason. If you can find a reason why you should steal every album that comes out. You should rot in music hell listening to Crank Dat for eternity.

He did his 500K the first week. He'll do 100 or so for the next two weeks after that...he can do 30 to 50K a week and still be considered a top selling artist. Who cares? Still an outstanding LP.

108K ain't bad in 2nd week in this day & age but I wonder how much more sales would be if there was a TRUE video channel(s) playing his and other videos 24/7 with widespread access to all? just sayin..

the album is sick but there are too many features on it. got a mixtape feel and not really a kanye album feel

I'm sure it's more than 50c-$1 I dunno i gotta read up on my industry facts but even so, just because he's "set for life" means we shouldint support? that means we should only buy from local small businesses and not McDonald's or Wal-Mart right? Aren't their CEO's and owners set for life?

You can't download a triple cheeseburger! and wal mart has security and cameras and sensors so its not in your best interest to be stealing from them.

this album is like a 70s rock album. very decadent. its not accessible like his other albums. i thought that was interesting. college dropout is very much folk music this is so much more esoteric.

for me its a masterpiece because of the gil scot heron line at the end "all i want is a house and a family and food to put on the table." Thats the kind of resolution you have after a psychedelic trip; you have all these decadent huge ideas then you arrive at the simple resolution. the album is a smashing success to me primarily because of this resolution. without it it would just be self indulgent

he was more of an artist in my eye. he sounded like the average cat that just was lucky enough to become friends with some big cats and use their studio. i could relate to College Dropout... and not to mention Bernie made it even cooler

too bad that wasn't even Bernie Mac. lol

double platinum in a year.
The 2nd week is always lower than the first.

Sometimes I think you guys are dumb.

@troup. I'm sure Kanye has more pull at DJ than any other performer.

double platinum in a year.
The 2nd week is always lower than the first.

Sometimes I think you guys are dumb.

@troup. I'm sure Kanye has more pull at DJ than any other performer.

So he's the favorite employee. And?

And what you have to remember, is that Kanye West probably just completed the LAST album of his Def Jam record deal. Because Twisted Fantasy makes 5.

Remember, IDJ (Island/Def Jam) has Justin Bieber, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Rihanna...who all still have a few records left on their deals.

Kanye isn't a priority anymore. Because more than likely, he's gonna bounce over to the house that Jay is building after his IDJ deal is up.

Why you think they are working on a joint CD? Jay-Z is never gonna let Def Jam get another DIME off of him.

Record labels are only interested in who they can make money off of. And trust me, Bieber is making a hell of alot more money than Kanye for the label right now.

To answer the thread's question yes it is a pretty bad 2nd week drop due to who the artist is (Kanye West is an A level artist) and we're in the holiday season which is the 'boom' season for album sales. This is a reflection of his core audience picking up the album first week and his lack of a runaway pop single which would of allowed for some of that 'fairweather mainstream' crowd to pick up the slack (which IS the case with Susan Boyle's new album). The more important question will be where is the 'bottom' for this project from which afterwards sales are sustained with a 15% or less drop per week.

Also lets not forget the most important factor when it comes to album sales: LIMITED PHYSICAL RETAIL SPACE IN THE BIG BOXES!!! This is the number 1 reason why sales have dropped 10-15% every year for the last few years...and the trend will continue

Keep in mind 10-15 years ago first week sales used to represent only around 10% of the final sales. That's how you can have a Lauryn Hill sell 430k in her first week and finish with 5 million sold. Now I would like to guess the first week numbers represent about 30-50% of the total so don't be expect Kanye or Minaj to cross past the 2 million mark (this will depend on what hip hop albums drop 1st and 2nd qtr 2011, marketplace competition plays a big role as well)

Last edited:
Back