Director of Urban/Rhythmic A&R at Atlantic Records (WMG) -No College Degree Needed

Realistically, what job with responsibilities and deadlines isn't stressful? That wasn't my point, the real meat of what I said had to do with managing your own artistic endeavors with this job. It's not for the beatmaker/artist type, this job is for an executive with great people skills.

I agree.

Moat creative types do not do well in business roles. This is why they create music in the first place: to flex creative muscle.

Being an A&R does not require very much creative energy. It can be a rewarding career path, but I do not think most people here want to wear a suit and tie. They want to perform or make music for other artists.

Mike Caren is promoting the position through his Twitter account (and getting others to pass the word) as part of a 'show out party' to the WB brass as well as the industry at-large as part of his new promotion to A&R Worldwide of all labels under the WB parent company. So yes I'm 95% sure he already made his short-list prior to the job-listing but its important in 2012 as an executive that you utilize social media to make the brass always believe you're on the cutting edge and not moving like a old-school dinosaur....even if the end results are the same as the old dinosaur

Nearly all A&R positions at major labels are filled in by the following:

1) Climb through the company ranks (internship-assistant position-coordinator position-director position-VP position)

2) Nepotism (it's not who you know, its who you blow...)

3) Identical experience (music industry is legendary for playing musical chairs)

4) Attached to proven success (ex-manager of a hot artist)

'Walk offs' are extremely rare when it comes to A&R, Project Manager and Promotion positions but are more common in Sales, Technology and Marketing.

Here goes a recent example of how positions are filled in the REAL world of the music industry:
Melissa Victor Gets VP Stripes at Island Def Jam | Billboard.biz

"Melissa Victor, Justin Bieber longtime press representative (#1), has been promoted to vice-president, media and artist relations at Island Def Jam"

"A decade ago Laura (EVP) gave me my first real chance she has since proven to be an invaluable friend (#2), mentor and inspiration"

By all means submit your resume to any and all job openings that you are interested in, the worse that can happen is you never get a call back. I'm just here to give a proper perspective on the REALITY of getting a gig in the music biz based on actually working in the major label system for many moons, not outside speculation.

Anyhow in a biz that has went from the Big 6 to the Big 3 with further consolidation happening within (remember JIVE RECORDS???) my advice is to focus on building your OWN A&R services, especially since the majors have long since abandoned the art of artist development (most A&R's nowadays are actually paperwork admins than true talent scouts/groomers) and the need for real A&R'ing is greater than ever. It's more than just looking at You Tube view numbers and # of Twitter followers....

Last edited:
Back