Death of the Meko/Niko?

Sparrow

well, at least for those out there on a budget that want that type of flexibility and portability and don't have the 3 grand?

This thing loads any VST/VSTi you own onto it and allows you to take them with you and plays them back, it's a sound module and player for VSTi's with alot of good ins and outs. Just add a midi keyboard and you are done. This may be the best product for the price I have ever seen ($500)

http://www.smproaudio.com/english/products/v-machines/v-machine.html

see link above.

Last edited:
I don't think so
The specs suck
  • 1 Ghz CPU
  • 1G IDE flash disk
  • 512 MB RAM
  • HD audio codec

I'm stuck on the tech specs.
Not sure if that's accurate or only pertains to one unit- so there might be others with a beefier spec...

1 Ghz CPU
1G IDE Flash disc
512 MB RAM...

That seems very limited and only the most basic plugs would work under that spec. And the included VSTs (just like the Miko) are all the free ones from KVR...or SEs like you bought an Audio Interface or MIDI Controller.

Live show? With effects chained?
At that price this is now battling a Laptop.
A lap top with those specs....

breal said:
I don't think so
The specs suck
  • 1 Ghz CPU
  • 1G IDE flash disk
  • 512 MB RAM
  • HD audio codec

Realize this - it doesn't need a bunch of CPU like a PC or an Open Labs unit because

1. it's running a linux shell with no true OS to load hence no processing load

2. re 1, it doesn't need CPU, or much RAM due to it not having to load a ton of windows or mac programs or oprating systems, which even with Open Labs stripped down version of Windows is a bear ad drags resources down into the basement, this is the reason why a plain apples to apples processing specs comparison with this to others is meaningless, they have different crosses to bear (the V Machine a small one to carry in comparison to the others).

It is basically an open source garage for VSTi's that allows you to play them back right out of the unit.

I read some reviews where some very big time tour musicians that back up major artists are using this live with tons of plugins in it and have had zero problems. These are not paid sponsor people. Go read the KVR forums and see for yourself. This thing is legit and supposedly it has almost zero latency as well.

Last edited:
j.troup said:
Open Labs is discontinuing the Timbaland series MiKo and Neko.

I know right. . . I know they gettin' ready to come hard with some sh!t. Can't wait to see what it is.

breal said:
I don't think so
The specs suck
  • 1 Ghz CPU
  • 1G IDE flash disk
  • 512 MB RAM
  • HD audio codec

do you know the specs of the mpc-4000
CPU ?
Ram ?

This thing kills it.

proboscis-monkey.gif

O RLY??

Sparrow said:
Realize this - it doesn't need a bunch of CPU like a PC or an Open Labs unit because

2. re 1, it doesn't need CPU, or much RAM due to it not having to load a ton of windows or mac programs or oprating systems, which even with Open Labs stripped down version of Windows is a bear ad drags resources down into the basement, this is the reason why a plain apples to apples processing specs comparison with this to others is meaningless, they have different crosses to bear (the V Machine a small one to carry in comparison to the others).

It is basically an open source garage for VSTi's that allows you to play them back right out of the unit.

I read some reviews where some very big time tour musicians that back up major artists are using this live with tons of plugins in it and have had zero problems. These are not paid sponsor people. Go read the KVR forums and see for yourself. This thing is legit and supposedly it has almost zero latency as well.

It still don't sound like a Niko killer

I would save up for a Muse Receptor

j.troup said:
Open Labs is discontinuing the Timbaland series MiKo and Neko.

so now my miko is a dinosaur. or is it a classic? im so confused. lol

eazypeezy said:
lmao if you think that, you dont need one.

you are right. it's the equivalent of a laptop, midi controller and an audio interface.

Sparrow said:

You might be right on the CPU, but 512 mb of Ram is low for a lot of applications.

If you want to install stuff like quantum leap pianos (with like 250Gigs of samples which recommends 2 Gigs of ram as minimum requirement).

Then again this is more of a rack module.

Where the Neko/Miko is more like a workstation, so not really a replacement.

The biggest worries I have with the Neko is the Vista O.S..

They have yet to converted over to Vista. They won't be able to be on XP forever. I wonder if they are having performance issues with it?

JeanLukPigheart said:
you are right. it's the equivalent of a laptop, midi controller and an audio interface.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

LOL.

Fiya0522 said:
so now my miko is a dinosaur. or is it a classic? im so confused. lol

I'd go with classic. Think about it...it's the very first piece of audio equipment to bear the name of a hip hop artist/producer!

There's never been an Pete Rock MPC signature series. Never been a Triton Neptunes Edition.

The Miko/Neko was the first to have the input from a major producer/artist, and to bear their name.

Classic. Definitely.

Last edited:
Back