Beats that sound alike..

quantumleap

Granted in pop music, a lot of music sounds similar....but I'm talking about beats where it seems like record A came out, then record B came out sounding like the producer somewhat copied record A and just used different sounds.

I was listening to instrumentals and came across Flo Rida - Good Feeling..

And I thought, man this kinda sounds familiar...Then Lady Gaga popped in my head..Good Feeling, to me sounds almost identical to Just Dance lol Minus the square lead, plus a guitar riff.. But the backbone of each track, to me, sounds the same...Like whoever made Good Feeling ripped off Red One, to an extent lol Both beats are nice instrumentals in my opinion though...Have a listen, maybe you'll agree...or maybe I'm just hearing things.

Either way, what are some more instrumentals that seem like they were ripped off from an earlier production?

good feeling is a sample from this record

if anything they just have the same progression but yea lol, lots of the progressions in pop music are passed around

i would say an artist of the time can do what they want and get away with it.... if an artist who is at the top of their game copy's what's done well beat wise their fans will pay for it all day

4 Chords - 65 songs(and counting)

The progression is not that important, it's the melody that differentiates the song. Progressions can't be copyrighted, melodies can!

I've got the perfect example:

And the worst part is that they came out 1 week apart back in 07

Last edited by a moderator:
i know progressions can't be copyrighted...i mean, you can use the same progression, in a different key...and have it not sound identical.... but some of the songs i'm hearing..it really sounds like str8 copies with different sounds being used..

i look forward to watching all the videos you guys posted..bout to get on that right now

Carribean queeen now we're sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrring the same dreammmmm!!

But nah....when you mentioned Lady Gaga- Just Dance....this was a ripoff...they tried to come out and say they made their song years ago lol.

I've got the perfect example:

And the worst part is that they came out 1 week apart back in 07

This is a little different in my opinion.....Its like Chamillionaire came out with a song "I won't let you down" then Gorilla Zoe countered that track with his own rendition "You can count on me".......I just see it being a little different. The songs are pretty much the same, just 2 different perspectives.. Its not the same, in my opinion, as if the producer completely jacked some one elses beat....Its more like Gorilla Zoe made his own version...which I thought was cool. I never heard either songs before, but I liked them both equally.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Carribean queeen now we're sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrring the same dreammmmm!!

But nah....when you mentioned Lady Gaga- Just Dance....this was a ripoff...they tried to come out and say they made their song years ago lol.

I wonder how often this happens.......

First off, I'm a fan of Red One's instrumentals that I have heard thus far... But you posting that video made me think...

I wonder how many top producers get their hands on "midi packs".....and use them to make their beats. You load up a VST, thru some midi patterns in there, and you have a full production with very little work...

That also brings me to think about this..... You can't copyright chord progressions....but you can copyright how those progressions are played.....But if a producer is using royalty free midi packs.....to make their production.....then whats the deal with that?

I'm not a fan of making music in that fashion, but I know it does happen, otherwise companies wouldn't be making a living selling people midi packs..

But say you buy/download a midi pack from a reputable company.....all the midis are original compositions...meaning whoever wrote them, made them..they weren't jacked from anywhere.

Then say you use those midi packs to make instrumentals......You don't change anything..you just load your preferred instruments and you're done....how would that work?

If producer A states...."They stole my beat! They used the same progression/melodies as I did...just different instruments!"

Producer B states, "I didn't steal shit...I used a royalty free midi pack and loaded up my own instruments to play accordingly.."

Who would win that copyright battle?

I'm not saying this is why some of these beats sound so much alike....but in this day and age....I'm sure some cases of instrumentals being identical are because of something similar to this going on.......what do you think?

this is how the music industry is. they dont make hits, they make the last hit over and over until its played out.

Back