Australian Hip Hop

D

DjSwankstar

Aussie hip hop is phat man, it won't beat american hip hop, but it's good, have a listen...if you can

i'm interested in all aussies who know any aussie hip hop artist names.. i know of Present Tents, Three Strikes and Neumonic Cassen...
any others?

peace

Yeah man, I'm starting to get into it heaps. You feel a bit akward when you hear an aussie accent, but it's really growing on me.

Present tense rock hard. (www.present-tense.net) check out their 'noise' section for a few MP3's. I think ruffemup is one of their best songs at the moment. These guys put a bit of humour back in the game.

They are a Canberra crew. Another crew from Canberra is koolism (www.koolism.com) they also have MP3's on their page. These guys are well known and highly respected in the Oz scene.

You'd have to be listening to JJJ right? You know about the Hip Hop show on Friday nights (and for all you international people who want to have a listen, you can hear it broadcast over the net at www.abc.net.au/triplej). Much love to Nicole Foote for putting that on, and for bringing it correct. All pure Hip Hop, none of that east/west rap bullshit.

Try hiphop.net.au for more links to some aussie stuff.

You've no doubt also heard our pacific neighbours King Kapisis and DJ Raw? Those guys are pretty cool too. DJ Raw is the NZ contingent to the DMC world finals. He's got skills.

I've heard that there are quite a few Hip Hop acts in Perth, how does it rate in your opinion?

Peace.

Last edited:
Names tO Look For

Yeah look for stuff from Mass Mc, Terminal Illness, Def Wish Cast, Crossbred Mongrels, Celsius to name a few...

:cheers:

i'll drink to this

king kapisi

King Kapisi - very cool. i've only seen him live once but he's good. Very raw. Check him out if u get the chance -his album is good but it doesn't capture you the same way as his live performance does.

check dis out, resin dogs, bias b, lazy gray, 2 dogs, soma rasa, shin ki row hope that helps:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jstyles my man, aussie hip hop is alive no doubt!

me and swank are west coasters, over in perth, and jj is the **** when it comes to the newest rhymes on the air waves.

i am putting together a few tapes with me and some locals, should be pretty good, ill be doing some cutting up and laying down some rhymes too.

keep in touch and ill sned u a tape free of chrage, as long and you give me ya thoughts :)

DjSwankstar said:
i'm interested in all aussies who know any aussie hip hop artist names.. i know of Present Tents, Three Strikes and Neumonic Cassen...
any others?

peace

- PROWLA! (His track "Three Strikes" is probably my favourite hip hop track of all time. All his Nuffsaid label recordings are worth buying on sight)
- DEDLEE (Another killer artist from the Nuffsaid label)
- Lyrical Commission (Brad Strut, Balans, Trem, Rob Nat Dj JRed et al.)
- After Hours
- DJ BONEZ
- DJ SELEKT
- Hilltop Hoods
- Hyjak
- Pegasus (Pegz)
- Torcha
- Reason
- DJ RANSON
- DJ J RED
- Jolz (incredible beats that he does i.e. "Good Life" or "No Comment")
- DJ Flagrant
- Terra Firma
- Bigfoot
- DJ PERPLEX
- Plutonic Lab

That's only a few. I've only mentioned people whose stuff I've bought or have seen live at some point.

There's also the pioneers of the scene down here, but the above list is people who I know are doing shows now and/or have recent releases that are available.

How is the overall production in Austrailia like?

Does it vary like over here, or is it closer to the classic hip hop sound?

ONE80 said:
How is the overall production in Austrailia like?

Does it vary like over here, or is it closer to the classic hip hop sound?

It definitely does vary a lot. Australian hip hop production takes many forms (for better and for worse) like it does elsewhere.

There's a lot of people who'll always surprise you with what they make. Plutonic would be an example of that.

For production of Australian stuff I'm always looking for new things by people like Jolz, Prowla, Suffa (Hilltop Hoods) and Ransom.

Last edited:
ONE80 said:
I'll definitely have to look some of these people up.

Do yuo jave any links?

I don't have any Australian mp3's, I'm afraid. Because it's local we usually just find out about stuff from what other people are listening to, and from the live scene and community radio (Melbourne has a few really good community stations).

I usually have a good idea of what stuff I want to listen to when I go into a store. You can usually sit down with a stack of stuff and go through it all.

Prowla would have stuff in U.S. stores from releases that he's done with overseas people but I don't know where the full MP3's would be.

YO I Hate To Diss ON Aus Hip Hop Some Dudes Got Skill But Dont Like The accents At all, Im A kiwi Moved Ova To Aus... Try Nz Hip Hop They GOt Some GOod ****, scribe, mareo, king kapisi, che-fu and by the way dj raw aint the dj nz sent to the world champs dj p-money went so get some facst right aye bro... but still check some other aus hip hop hilltop hood are realli the onli ones i heard and there accentis too strong, 1200 techniques are pretty mad but cheers boiz

phlex said:
YO I Hate To Diss ON Aus Hip Hop Some Dudes Got Skill But Dont Like The accents At all, Im A kiwi Moved Ova To Aus... Try Nz Hip Hop They GOt Some GOod ****, scribe, mareo, king kapisi, che-fu and by the way dj raw aint the dj nz sent to the world champs dj p-money went so get some facst right aye bro... but still check some other aus hip hop hilltop hood are realli the onli ones i heard and there accentis too strong, 1200 techniques are pretty mad but cheers boiz

A lot of the really gifted emcees here grew up listening to hip hop in the late 80s/90s around the time of US and English groups like Main Source, DITC, HiJack, Hard Knocks and others but when they drop they have the smarts and sef-confidence to be themselves.

If you're from Caulfield, Frankston, Mitcham wherever, you rap and use the same reference points as you would in everyday life. The accent is not something "put on" that's just the way most of them are.

Australian hip hop's proudly parochial. Every few years the "Accent Debate" does occur but quickly fades again.

Being able to identify with music is part of the reason why you listen to it, and hearing your own accent is usually very humbling.

I think most aussie hip hop has a strong connection to its cultural context but yeah unfortunatly that context hasnt been foregrounded in popular culture, the main difference being the hip hop culture in the us and uk has been subject to ****loads of publicity, in movies and **** and that is why outsiders struggle to understand social and cultural connotations that aussie hip hop present..

Anyway, These are good

Pegz
Funkoars
Clandestein
Muph and Plutonic
Drapht
Trace Elements
Bliss n Eso
Downsyde
Koolism
and of course Hilltop Hoods

Back