Anyone else sick of... [Rant]

Olie

Is anyone else sick of these things we've just accepted in hip hop? It's just hit me really hard lately how stupid some of this shit is, even some better artists do it.

It's not smart to be a materialist, the things you own, own you. We all know this right? Some artists tackle this pretty well and actually talk about how bad it is and point out problems with it but the majority... ****.

Objectification of women, you make songs about how women are two dimensional, simple and only good for ****ing then you say you get loads of women. On what ****ing planet? Are these guys for real? On what planet do you get quality women who would stick around if you treat them like that, who would even touch you? And you complain that women are money hungry... No, only the ones that mess with you are because you have nothing positive to offer a woman besides your money.

I still find it incredible that there are women that openly objectify themselves and turn themselves into simplistic things for guys to look at and insecure girls to fawn over. Why are we so used to that?

There's so many other little things I could point out like the glorification of some things we shouldnt glorify but I'll leave it there. If I could get rid of these things if I had the option? No but I would want them to be much less popular. We all have thoughts like damn I want that car but for that to be one of the main messages in the mainstream?

I guess it reflects more on our society than the artists. I see small changes happening lately though...

TLDR: **** the objectification of women, the glorification of materialism and the other stupid shit we know is wrong in hip hop.

Pretty much why I never really liked it much. A music so focus on lyrical content, it should have something of content.

There's a conspiracy theory knocking about that they deliberately down graded the sound and played it off knowing how much control the could assert over society with it. All the major producer at the time rounded up. Not sure how true it is.

And... All that fighting talk you used to get... if it was because of them dissing each other in it's origins, if every one just got on it wouldn't of reached it's level of greatness. it was necessary to make it interesting. Especially the anti establishment and police crack down, it fuelled it's own creation. Quite ingenious when you think about it.

I accept that type of attitude towards hiphop because hiphop is not one thing.
Hip hop can be anything and is not just all about that nonsense.

Multiple sides to hip hop beyond that.

I've been listening to hip hop for almost 30 years and the only thing that's changed is the quality of music heard on the radio.

yeah that's true. I think we all want our favorite form of hiphop or favorite artists to get played on the radio; and think hiphop has changed because they're not dominating mainstream radio.

I think most mainstream radio stations are trash though, no matter the genre. It's always the same artists 24 hours a day, not much changeup. You'll only hear "what's hot" on the radio. I usually find the best music through online and independent radio stations.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm sick of is the lack of originality.

When I was coming up, if you sounded like someone else, you were shunned. You HAD to have your own style, your own flow, your own dress, your own sound.

Now, biting has become a sport.

I used to be bothered a lot by this as evident in my early posts.
Since then I've come to understand that every person pretty much does as good as they can. Instead of forcing brutes to operate at a higher level of consciousness we need people at a higher level of consciousness coming through with real and good music. It's like going up to a caveman and trying to force calculus into his brain.
So I can't be mad at rappers. If anything it's the intellectual types who are afraid to enter this game because they don't want to be different.
We can't be focused on getting rid of whack rappers and soulless hip-hop, instead we need to bring the soulful stuff back.
Look at Kendrick, very real lyrics at a mainstream level. We aren't doing that bad.

I used to be bothered a lot by this as evident in my early posts.
Since then I've come to understand that every person pretty much does as good as they can. Instead of forcing brutes to operate at a higher level of consciousness we need people at a higher level of consciousness coming through with real and good music. It's like going up to a caveman and trying to force calculus into his brain.
So I can't be mad at rappers. If anything it's the intellectual types who are afraid to enter this game because they don't want to be different.
We can't be focused on getting rid of whack rappers and soulless hip-hop, instead we need to bring the soulful stuff back.
Look at Kendrick, very real lyrics at a mainstream level. We aren't doing that bad.

Happy by Pharrel was the top song last year.

Childish Gambino was one of the top selling rap albums of last year with zero radio play.

The People want good and intelligent music, so this "Hot" thing is played out - the powers that be decide what's "Hot" which is why Drake can release a diss track on Soundcloud and then it gets nominated for a Grammy. The powers that be are also the ones that CHOOSE to keep these trash rappers on radio rotation 24 hours a day, so I'm always smh when people tell me that the People want to hear nothing but Drake, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown and Future.

It's because people want to hear Drake, Chris Brown, Taylor Swift and Future. Most people listen to music depending on mood and setting. Hard to turn up in the Club listening to Kendrick. Hard to gleam knowledge at home listening to Future. Even back in the day it was like that. You expected Kid n Play to give you fun dance music. NWA to be gangsta, Will Smith to be cool and goofy, Public Enemy to be revolutionary. Each artist has their own lane. You'll enjoy music more when you stop expecting rappers to get up out of their lane and head into a different lane.

Last edited:
It's because people want to hear Drake, Chris Brown, Taylor Swift and Future. Most people listen to music depending on mood and setting. Hard to turn up in the Club listening to Kendrick. Hard to gleam knowledge at home listening to Future. Even back in the day it was like that. You expected Kid n Play to give you fun dance music. NWA to be gangsta, Will Smith to be cool and goofy, Public Enemy to be revolutionary. Each artist has their own lane. You'll enjoy music more when you stop expecting rappers to get up out of their lane and head into a different lane.

You completely missed my point.

...and go to your big city radio station and ask the DJ's how radio works and why certain artists are always played over others. Then ask them who are the people who are calling/texting in voting that a song is "hot". The 12-21 year olds on their parent's cell phone plans hmmm?

ask a 12-21 year old how much they listen to radio.

Facts and Figures about Radio, Broadcast Industry, Media Tour | News Generation: Radio and TV Media Relations

I have...and they listen to the least amount of radio out of their and older demographics...which proves my point.

Most radio listeners are those that commute to work or are retired and have the free time...and they apparently want to hear Drake, Chris Brown, Taylor Swift and Future.

But people would like to be convinced that children on their parent's limited family cell phone plans are texting in while on the school bus or in class and deciding what is "hot".

Play on...

Last edited:
Most aren't texting in. They're jammimg to what they want on Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, Soundcloud etc... Radio isnt' reacting from what people are calling in. They're reacting more to what people are doing online. Trying to snatch up what little revenue there is to be made in that medium. Fetty Wap ain't get on the radio because of call ins. He got on because people listened on Youtube and Soundcloud. And that's the thing. Radio isn't acting. It's reacting. It's a trend follower not a setter.

Most aren't texting in. They're jammimg to what they want on Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, Soundcloud etc... Radio isnt' reacting from what people are calling in. They're reacting more to what people are doing online. Trying to snatch up what little revenue there is to be made in that medium. Fetty Wap ain't get on the radio because of call ins. He got on because people listened on Youtube and Soundcloud. And that's the thing. Radio isn't acting. It's reacting. It's a trend follower not a setter.

I hear that. Radio also is also reacting to what they're paid to play.

Hip hop represents the specific person performing. Most rappers would brag about what they had and how many chicks they f**ked if they were working regular jobs. I could go in depth about how sociological programming plays a part, but could you see Ozzie Ozborne, Kirk Kobaine, or Sting having nothing better to talk about then what car they drive or what girl they're f**king? Same time, what else would most of these rappers have to talk about? Someone like 2Pac, not so much, but, he's even from an environment where such topics come up and you may participate. I'm sick of guys who never been in such environments pretending they know "what's best for hip hop". Same shyt discussed in a barbershop or on a hood street corner is gonna make it's way into a hip hop record. It doesn't bother those of us who have frequented such environments. You even see it in athletes from similar environments. You give a kid with nothing who was destined for nothing money, nice things, and women that were once out of his league, he's gonna be amazed enough to discuss it. Give some rich kid the same opportunities and they rap about poppin tags in a thrift shop.

The great thing about it...in these environments, you still get the guys who report the hood news and the guys who share their problems that you can relate your problems to.

Last edited:
You also get the old heads on the block/in the barbershop who still stuck back in the days...but so fly with it you realize they got more swag than the youngstas. To talk junk about the kids doing what you're not into just means you don't care enough to find something more interesting. You don't love the block enough to see something negative and walk a few steps toward something better, you just go in the house thinking you've seen all there is to see.

Last edited:
Back