9th Wonder, Most overrated producer of all time!?

badkazz

What do Y'all think?? I mean he uses the same drums in every beat he makes, the only difference is the sample he uses.

It aint about what drums he uses. Its about the feel of his tracks!

He found a sound that works for him and he stuck to it. Even though they may have the same drums every track has a totally different vibe to it. I think he deserves all the attention/credit he's got plus more.

There's never a median between underrated and overrated, everyone always thinks someone is either/or. When was the last time you heard someone say "they deserve their status"?

I think 9th is a good look for Hip-Hop, even though his beats may be repetitive. If it aint broke..But it would be nice to hear him switch it up.

in december i saw an interview with 9th, and the dude said. "what do you have to say to all your haters that say, every beat you make sounds the exact same?" and he replied, he gets hit up by artists constantly saying, "throw me a beat that is like that skyzoo track, little brother track, wale track, etc." people want to buy his sound. that's who he is. i don't get why people go so hard on him.

i don't really care about 9th wonder. :)
i was just referring to that post about guitar,nothing less nothing more.

i swear its hard to satisfy peeps these days, if it ain't the rappers being overrated it's the producers, everyone has their own sound, and with most experienced producers they do switch up their sound while staying in their lane. You just got to listen.

My thing is whether a ni99a switch it up or don't, whether it be 9th or just blaze, stoupe or timbaland, if you truly like what is being made, why do you care? If it's hot to ya.....well it's HOT! It obviously has not bored you yet to keep listening (shrugs)

I never hate but I feel like he gets too much praise. You never hear about Easy Mo Bee, Carlos Broady, Nashiem Myrick etc getting their just dues,,,not to mention Marley Marl who pretty much was the first one to sample.

I think he's a little overrated. Even when I was listening to his beat tapes, a lot of the songs sound similar. But he does make beats that are very rap-able, and they do have a good vibe. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Whats overated???? To me that means that he has alot of fans...So i guess since hes overrated, Timbo, Dre, Pharreal, etcc... are overated also

I think 9th was at his best when he was working w/ Little Brother & Murs but at times 9th still goes in. He's not the greatest but his tracks have a nice soulful feel to them.

Come on man how you gon front on this??

Last edited by a moderator:
I say "more power to him" for using the same drums in most of his tracks. Still makes my head knod most of the time.

Personally, I've NEVER used the same kick, snare, or hat more than once...true story. I have far too many one-hit drums on multiple HDD's and DVD's to ever stumble across the same one more than once.

I'm envious of people who have their own "go to kit" and feel content with it.

Most hip hop since the beginning has used the same drum kits (TR808)?

So what is your point? You would be hard pressed to find a producer who doesn't favor a drum kit or certain drums in their collection! I have thousands of drum samples and I have a folder of 45 drum samples that I will use 95% of the time! I tweak them a little and do some different effects and layering, but I use those same 45 samples in most of my tracks! Just the way a lot of people work it!

It it knocks, it knocks!

ONE

i swear its hard to satisfy peeps these days, if it ain't the rappers being overrated it's the producers, everyone has their own sound, and with most experienced producers they do switch up their sound while staying in their lane. You just got to listen.

My thing is whether a ni99a switch it up or don't, whether it be 9th or just blaze, stoupe or timbaland, if you truly like what is being made, why do you care? If it's hot to ya.....well it's HOT! It obviously has not bored you yet to keep listening (shrugs)

Exactly.. 9th Wonder established his name so he must be doing something right.. Everybody gonna have different opinions.. dass life.

Personally, I've NEVER used the same kick, snare, or hat more than once...true story.

Why not??, lol. You cant possibly use different drums for every beat. I refuse to believe that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back