People telling you how to make beat

H1N1PROOF

I have a friend who doesn't know anything about music productions, hell I don't even think he's knowledgeable in the music industry yet he TRIES to direct me on how my music should sound like. I'm like yo, shut the **** up, I'm not making music to please your uneducated ears. Anyone been in the similar situation before?

Here's the catch - Ultimately, if/when you gain mass exposure, most of your listeners will have those same "uneducated" ears.

I saw an post on here about leaving a "suggestion box" in your studio for people to drop ideas into. That'd be a good way to hear outsiders' opinions on your music, and then choose whether to listen to those opinions or not.

Everyone you play your music for will have an opinion about it, one way or the other.

Here's the catch - Ultimately, if/when you gain mass exposure, most of your listeners will have those same "uneducated" ears.

I saw an post on here about leaving a "suggestion box" in your studio for people to drop ideas into. That'd be a good way to hear outsiders' opinions on your music, and then choose whether to listen to those opinions or not.

Everyone you play your music for will have an opinion about it, one way or the other.

Ok now Captain Obvious. You're missing the point here. What I'm trying to say is that, no one should TELL YOU how to create something that only your imagination can produce. Especially if the person does not understand anything in that particular. I'm open for any feedbacks and more than welcome to embrace all opinions. But there's a fine line between telling someone what to do and telling someone what needs to be adjusted.

It's still not much different than some FB you get in here. Someone might come in and tell you a lead is totally out of place. If you prefer that someone is a musician, I can understand that. I still don't come down too hard on regular joe's who aren't into my songs. It's all feedback in the end, imo.

It's still not much different than some FB you get in here. Someone might come in and tell you a lead is totally out of place. If you prefer that someone is a musician, I can understand that. I still don't come down too hard on regular joe's who aren't into my songs. It's all feedback in the end, imo.

Telling someone what to do, how to play it, and what it should sound like when the music itself is not yet created is completely off from receiving feed back. I find it insulting.

it can be a tad bit frustrating at time for people to tell me what they want you to add or subtract, but i've grown accustomed to it cause after all we're doing this in hopes that others love it as much as we do.

ive been in that situation myself and think its best not to just ignore their suggestions completely but instead ask them what they would like to hear and if its worth exploring then try it.
sometimes it might add something extra to your song, other times it doesnt work at all.
its good to get a second opinion from people who dont produce because they focus on how good the song is rather than all the technical stuff which some producers can get really caught up in and lose focus on the music itself.

uneducated ears? are you serious? If you cant take criticism you shouldn't be making music. just because someone doesn't make music doesn't mean they cant give feedback that is constructive.

I love it when people criticize anything I make, especially is they don't produce themselves. It gives you a different perspective. One of my friends used to come over my house all the time and listen to me making beats, and would constantly tell me what he did or didn't like, and offered a lot of suggestions that made me a little uncomfortable and annoyed at first. But even though a lot of the things he suggested were horrible ideas, a few ideas were good and improved the song in my opinion. You just kinda have to have a filter when it comes to suggestions, to know which suggestions to take seriously and which not to.

Or just tell em to zip it and just listen.

uneducated ears? are you serious? If you cant take criticism you shouldn't be making music. just because someone doesn't make music doesn't mean they cant give feedback that is constructive.

Quoted for truth.

You are the worst person to give feedback towards your own music. Average joe listeners are more detached from music. I actually think they have a BETTER ear for hearing good music because they are so used to listening to those top 5 radio songs all-day-err-day that they know EXACTLY what to except from their music.

Sometimes you're gonna have to bite the bullet and make what they want to hear.. IF they're paying you that is.

I think your lost. I appreciate all criticism, but like I said (if you were paying attention) there's a fine line between feedback/criticism and uneducated comments.

I shouldn't be making music? Quit makin that noise boy

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quoted for truth.

You are the worst person to give feedback towards your own music. Average joe listeners are more detached from music. I actually think they have a BETTER ear for hearing good music because they are so used to listening to those top 5 radio songs all-day-err-day that they know EXACTLY what to except from their music.

what feedback? I haven't even made the beat and people are already breathing on my neck on what to do GTFOH!

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Before you leave a comment, READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. I'm not talking about feedbacks/criticism. I'm talking about people bossin you around tellin you to switch up your style and such.

I keep an open mind with my music. Willing to take advice and such, but if someone says "this is how your music needs to sound" I tell them to go **** themselves. I don't write music for anyone but myself though, so I'm not really stuck with the same standards that people who are producing tracks for other people are. But the same notion applies really, if you're sitting over my shoulder and telling me every little thing that's wrong with my song, I'm probably going to point out every little thing that's wrong with your personality as well, unless you've done something to earn my respect.

Hmmm , I think I know what he means ....

Note , I only record people I know , no one "hires" my time .

I just treat people as I do in life , you meet people and learn their personality , intellect etc .
Kinda suss out who to listen to , and who to politely listen to them , then diplomatically move one .
No need to tell them to fek off or anything .

These people devoid of all musical abilities , can seem to be drawn to project studios (esp home ones) by some magnetism .
Can be a pain in the arse though , and difficult to get rid of :P

It's clear that you don't have a mind of your own

He's totally right. If you really want to make it in this biz and get money, you have to follow the herd until you somebody, THEN you start doing your own thing.

Conform or don't come forth. I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just the way our f***ed up world works.

Yeah thats the world man, you should humor his advice but that doesnt mean you have to use it. Hell if it bothers you that bad dont let him watch you work. Every night I DJ all night long I'll get people telling what songs to play, and when to play them, or telling me no one like the song thats playing (usually thats when half the place is dancing). Everyone has an opinion but they aint the one doing the shit so I typically ignore them. But if you got a room full of "uneducated ears" telling you your shits garbage, then you might need to reevaluate your own ears.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

He's totally right. If you really want to make it in this biz and get money, you have to follow the herd until you somebody, THEN you start doing your own thing.

Conform or don't come forth. I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just the way our f***ed up world works.
I feel like you have to follow 90% of the way out the gate, then if you make it that % shifts your way.

Back